Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why You Shouldn't Eat Salad

According to my doctor, who is very knowledgable anf know for lap band surgery, Protein should be eaten first in order to keep you fuller longer, followed by vegetables, then carbohydrates. Lettuce greens DONT KEEP YOU FULL!! They really have no nutritional value other than being loaded with Water. No real Fiber is lettuce. Any green vegetable are great like broccoli, spinach, kale. So that doctor is right. Salads are not satidfying and they do get stuck. It really isnt a sound nutritional choice. Stick to protein and actual vegetables, not useless lettuce leaves.

Youre supposed to eat more meat, thats where your Protein comes from, not salad. No nutritional value in lettuce. This doctor is absolutely right. Green vegetable are a better choice. But Protein must be eaten first to fill you up longer. salad doesnt fill you up unless you load it with nuts, seeds,m avacadoes, etc. What kind of a doctor tells you to eat salad instead of protein? My doctor is very well-known in lapband and never suggested salad instead of protein. Protein is what should be eaten first to keep you fuller longer.:thumbup:

You're brave Fanny, I posted a reply this morning and deleted it.

I've never heard such irresponsible advice and i agree with your comments entirely.

In the rest of the world, salad is not served first and it consists of more than just iceberg lettuce. Furthermore, things like nuts seeds and avocados contain healthy fats and increase the Vitamin and antioxidant uptake.

Not eat salad, so that you can eat more meat? I cant really believe that's desirable.

I think a big part of the problem here is in people's understanding of the word "salad". As I said from the beginning, if your definition of "salad" means "lettuce with ranch dressing" then yes, the doctor has a point. However, that is NOT the definition of "salad" that everyone uses. For most people outside the US, and I would have thought many inside the US too, "salad" includes a range of healthy vegetables that should be very much a part of a bandsters diet.

The whole obsession with Protein and "protein first" is very much a US thing too. Australian doctors were pioneers in lapband surgery and the practice has been common here for many more years than in the US, yet I have not heard of any Aussies who have had this Protein idea pushed by their doctor. The emphasis here by the greater majority of the medical community is on a healthy balanced diet of lean meats, fresh vegetables and fruit and unprocessed grains, low in fat and sugars...IN ANY ORDER. You know, that basic "sensible eating diet" that we've always been told we should be following but were never able to stick to until we had the help from our band.

Edited by Fanny Adams

I think a big part of the problem here is in people's understanding of the word "salad". As I said from the beginning, if your definition of "salad" means "lettuce with ranch dressing" then yes, the doctor has a point. However, that is NOT the definition of "salad" that everyone uses. For most people outside the US, and I would have thought many inside the US too, "salad" includes a range of healthy vegetables that should be very much a part of a bandsters diet.

The whole obsession with Protein and "protein first" is very much a US thing too. Australian doctors were pioneers in lapband surgery and the practice has been common here for many more years than in the US, yet I have not heard of any Aussies who have had this Protein idea pushed by their doctor. The emphasis here by the greater majority of the medical community is on a healthy balanced diet of lean meats, fresh vegetables and fruit and unprocessed grains, low in fat and sugars...IN ANY ORDER. You know, that basic "sensible eating diet" that we've always been told we should be following but were never able to stick to until we had the help from our band.

What she said!

Youre supposed to eat more meat, thats where your Protein comes from, not salad. No nutritional value in lettuce. This doctor is absolutely right. Green vegetable are a better choice. But Protein must be eaten first to fill you up longer. Salad doesnt fill you up unless you load it with nuts, seeds,m avacadoes, etc. What kind of a doctor tells you to eat salad instead of protein? My doctor is very well-known in lapband and never suggested salad instead of protein. Protein is what should be eaten first to keep you fuller longer.:thumbup:

The part in red above -- if you've read this thread, most people have stated they DO make salads like that. Nobody would recommend making meals out of iceburg lettuce and nothing else. But to state that salads are bad is BAD ADVICE.

I don't know anybody here in bandland who only eats salads. But if I want a salad for lunch (maybe with some salmon or chicken on top), I don't feel wrong in having it, and no doctor worth his salt should dissuade people from eating them by saying they are bad and not band friendly. I have NEVER had an issue eating a salad.

Um, maybe I'm insane but I would consider nuts seeds and avocadoes a gazillion times over a better nutritional choice than Protein shakes.

Much healthier fats in those than in meat, cheese and dairy foods. I'm not trying to stay thin so that I look good when i die of a heart attack.

I'm not trying to stay thin so that I look good when i die of a heart attack.

Hehehe... yeah, but that's just icing on the tofu cake. :thumbup:

Um, maybe I'm insane but I would consider nuts seeds and avocadoes a gazillion times over a better nutritional choice than Protein shakes.

Much healthier fats in those than in meat, cheese and dairy foods. I'm not trying to stay thin so that I look good when i die of a heart attack.

:mad::lol::party::thumbup:

I have to agree with you hon!

Here is a prime example of someone writing a book to make money. I wish I would be an idiot and buy this book with him making a ridiculous claim about "why we shouldn't eat salad". Obsurd!!!

This is a pretty rude response to someone who wasn't rude at all! Keep in mind that this forum allows us all to voice our opinions but we must do it respectfully! This response was in no way respectful. Please try to refrain from posting in a defensive and rude manner. There is NO call for it!

I am not going to get into a snippet exchange with someone like you. Bully for you that you are a "triathlete training for the half-ironman distance." That still doesnt make you a DOCTOR or an EXPERT. Maybe you shouldn't ASSume so much about others. So let's just say we agree to disagree and end it at that. Go eat some salad and run a few miles.

uh oh... now I am worried about purchasing the book- if the advice is not legitimate...

I order his book off of Amazon and it does not match up with everything my Dr. says. But some of his advice is good. :frown:

They do preach Protein first to us, but I love salads, so I just make sure they contain a Protein source. Even pizza Hut now offers grilled chicken strips for their salad.

My favorite salad is a chicken caesar. I break up Romaine, cut up a hard boiled egg (protein), a chicken breast(protein), sprinkle Parmesan cheese on it(protein), light caesar dressing and fat free croutons. Dr Vuong told me in a response to my criticism that I am probably eating too much. Wouldn't give my salad any credit at all. And it doesn't get stuck, either. Sometimes I will add Tomato for some color, and other times I switch to fat free feta cheese instead of Parmesan. I think I am getting in my required protein, I really do. And if I am eating too much, then how do I explain a 110 lb weight loss?:blink: