Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever worry even THIS won't work?

I wonder if I am alone in my fears. My fear that even though I have spent thousands of dollars, put my body through the trauma of surgery, have a lump that feels like a baby's elbow poking out of my gut, have this amazing advantage over the average dieter..even with all this.. I still won't lose weight and keep it off. :tt2: I worry that I won't be able to follow the simple guidlines, or that I will be the freak that this doesn't work for. I suppose this is part of bandster hell. Other than my port lump and the lovely frankenstein like scars on my belly I feel like nothing has changed and that scares the heck out of me.

Having been through bandster hell and still lost weight, I can say it is worth it, even with the worries. You just have to hang in there. For me at least, I didn't have much options left after having failed too many diets to count. There was only one door left open for me, so I took it. When you are so overweight that you need a lapband, it's not like you are ruining a perfect body with scaring. Your body needs help. If your body has some extra scarring on it, it's not like you looked like a model in the beginning anyway. Just my outlook on it. I even had stretchmarks on my stomach, before the surgery even began, LOL

I wonder if I am alone in my fears. My fear that even though I have spent thousands of dollars, put my body through the trauma of surgery, have a lump that feels like a baby's elbow poking out of my gut, have this amazing advantage over the average dieter..even with all this.. I still won't lose weight and keep it off. :tt2: I worry that I won't be able to follow the simple guidlines, or that I will be the freak that this doesn't work for. I suppose this is part of bandster hell. Other than my port lump and the lovely frankenstein like scars on my belly I feel like nothing has changed and that scares the heck out of me.

trust me, i felt the same way...i was a self pay and i was kicking myself when it was over b/c i was so sure i was going to sabotage. i went into bandster hell and felt like i had NO restriction but once i started measuring and stopped relying on my own eyeballs, it got easier. i quit dr peppers (major addict), quit smoking, cut all sugar and salt and mayo out of my life and i feel good. i swear it will get better. :biggrin:

katie

Yes, like you WOULDN'T believe!

I guess it stems from the belief that has been ingrained in us since we first were overweight and tried our first diet and reinforced every time we failed to lose weight or we lost weight and then failed when we regained it (with interest). The belief that we cannot succeed at weightloss and that it is impossible for us to be thin.

Well you know what honey, we are going to prove ourselves wrong! Bandster hell sucks - you go from no appetite at all to the hunger and desire for food that you had pre-band, yet your gut is covered in scars, you burp a lot and you are $10,000 out of pocket! However, it will get better! Trust me, if you follow the instructions on this diet, it will work and it will stay off! Why would you be any different to the hundreds, nay, thousands of people that have had success with the band. All of them got to be overweight by the same demons that got us here, and the band works for them - just check out their success stories and photos - and it will work for you!

Yes, like you WOULDN'T believe!

I guess it stems from the belief that has been ingrained in us since we first were overweight and tried our first diet and reinforced every time we failed to lose weight or we lost weight and then failed when we regained it (with interest). The belief that we cannot succeed at weightloss and that it is impossible for us to be thin.

Well you know what honey, we are going to prove ourselves wrong! Bandster hell sucks - you go from no appetite at all to the hunger and desire for food that you had pre-band, yet your gut is covered in scars, you burp a lot and you are $10,000 out of pocket! However, it will get better! Trust me, if you follow the instructions on this diet, it will work and it will stay off! Why would you be any different to the hundreds, nay, thousands of people that have had success with the band. All of them got to be overweight by the same demons that got us here, and the band works for them - just check out their success stories and photos - and it will work for you!

HUGS! Thanks Lingling! :tt2:

I am also self-pay and worry that somehow this will not work for me. When I think back to the million diets I have tried and lost weight on, to only gain it all back, I get worried. But, then I think this is very different- we actually have a tool inside us that will help keep us on track. Even if we occasionally screw up with food choices we still will not be able to eat as much as we used to and will get full faster. I know some people lose weight quickly and never screw up, but I doubt I will be that ideal perfect patient. I am sure I will have ups and downs- but in the end I will get there- and so will you!

I totally feel you! That is my biggest fear! I'm 3 months out and have lolst 25 ish lbs. (I lost 20 the first month) and have just yo yo'd the same 5 lbs since then. I'm guess I'm in bandster hell - whatever that means.

I remain confident though. I have only had one fill and I can feel that I can eat more now. I know there is also a lot more that I can do to help with the process. I'm not exercising like I should and am not making healthy choices. I'm a tester - I like to see how much I'm losing on the band alone, how much with excersise but eating the same, how much with eating right, how much with all 3. Keep your head yo!

moonbeam,

I feel the same as you. I'm 2 years with lapband and have only lost 25lbs. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. I can't get back on track and my insurance doesn't cover nutritionist visits. I feel alone and I don't know what to do. I'm lost.

Moonbeam- I'm with you! Ling & everyone else thank you so much for support, positive thoughts and success stories!

I have to say that the moment I decided to have the surgery I KNEW in my heart that this would work without a doubt. I also affirmed that i would have an easy time of it. I think bc i was so positive i set myself up for a positive experience. Maybe im being naieve in my thoughts, but this has been a WONDERFUL experience, and I was determined not to focus on the negitive things that I have heard or read ie... PBing or slipage etc...

lots of luck all, stay positive!!

amy

I have to say that the moment I decided to have the surgery I KNEW in my heart that this would work without a doubt. I also affirmed that i would have an easy time of it. I think bc i was so positive i set myself up for a positive experience. Maybe im being naieve in my thoughts, but this has been a WONDERFUL experience, and I was determined not to focus on the negitive things that I have heard or read ie... PBing or slipage etc...

lots of luck all, stay positive!!

amy

Thanks Amy I'm trying. It's hard to change old habits of thinking and to convince myself that this time will be different, when that's what I've said to myself ever time I started a new diet. BUT this time WILL be different because now I have this great tool to use, and it's not a fad diet or a magic pill, it's going to help me change my behaviour and hopefully my head and thoughts will follow.

moonbeam:

I am a new bandster. I have a lot of weight to lose. I know this is not going to be an easy journey, but I have to believe I can do it or I will fail myself before I even give myself a chance. This is going to be the hardest thing I have ever had to do, because I must have willpower and self control to make this work. The band is a tool just like an oxygen tank. If you have emphysema you would not continue to smoke and then declare the oxygen tank doesn't work. Same with the band. We can not eat whatever we want and then expect to drop weight and keep it off. We have to work hard and want it more than any other dieter. We are not perfect, so we will mess up, but we have to be able to move on and make better choices our next go around. YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE YOU CAN DO IT! I set mini goals for myself. Each time a lose 20 lbs. I am going to reward myself with a charm. This will serve as a remainder of my journey. If you want we could help each by checking in once a week and discussing our SUCCESSES as well as slip ups.

Raelita, Thanks for the encouraging words. I really like your idea about a the charmes! I think I might just do that too! I would love to keep in touch and share the joys of success and also the bad moments to cheer each other on. You are right, we can and we will do this!

It's completely reasonable to have doubts. The band is not fool-proof. It's not a magic pill. It's a tool. And after we've spent our entire lives "failing" diet after diet it's natural to wonder if we will fail at this too. But that is not the mind set we should have. I know that those thoughts are there in me, but right now I BELIEVE truly and wholy, that this will work for me. I BELIEVE I will be a success and that I will reach my goals and live a healthy, happy, skinny life. That doesn't negate the fact that I have fears and doubts. My belief in myself and my band does not wipe away the questions I have about my ability to reach my goals. But it is stronger than that doubt and that is what I KNOW will make me successful this time.