Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Watchers and the band

They seem to develop a "holier then thou" attitude. Those meetings were always humiliating, If you din't loose they made a snarky remark to you. I know sooo many people that lost weight with them, and they look like crap now 3-4 years afterwards......

I am really sorry that happened to you! It blows me away that people think this surgery is easy or for lazy people. I did WW here and not only was I the youngest there, everyone else was retired and had all the time in the world to count points and take walks ect. Their main worry was how to stay within points during cruises. So it didnt help because they always said it was "easier" to lose weight when you were younger ect. So the whole thing pretty much turned me off. You know as well as I do, that the people being snarky to you on those boards is secretly envious or they wouldnt be so worried about you posting. It may be "lazy" to them, but we have better statistics than they do.

It's shocking that people who are involved in the same struggle are hateful to each other! I found an old magazine with all of the success stories of people who lost 100lbs or more. I was surprised to look at it after being banded and see that the first sentence was "These people did it without surgery." Why is ok to be unsupportive to overweight individuals and then call them lazy for trying to become healthy in a way that works for them like WLS? Wow.

Perhaps some of the hate is jealousy that they could not have it done themselves? I'm not saying that will be all of the cases, but around my family I have gotten some negative treatment from people who really wish they could have it done and either can't yet or just wont since they don't want to change.

I plan to keep going to WW even though I have gotten my Lapband. I want all those little trinkets, darn it! lol I also do like some of the people there and I wont admit to them I have the band, just tell them I have really changed my eating habits... which is not a lie. :smile2: Also, I want to show up one woman in particular who has always been such a tart and mean woman (because we are not all like her) and just flaunt my new butt and long hair in her face.

It's shocking that people who are involved in the same struggle are hateful to each other! I found an old magazine with all of the success stories of people who lost 100lbs or more. I was surprised to look at it after being banded and see that the first sentence was "These people did it without surgery." Why is ok to be unsupportive to overweight individuals and then call them lazy for trying to become healthy in a way that works for them like WLS? Wow.

I keep reading that "without surgery" remark, too. I think it's irrelevant.

It is amazing how this can be true apparently everywhere. I did the weight watchers thing a few years ago long before I was banded and had the same problems with them. I would go to a meeting and get publicly humiliated if I didn't lose what they thought I should. It was way too interactive and stupid for me and I finally quit. The people who develop and administer the different area groups must all be taught the same type of humiliation techniques. Crazy. Reminds me of a mind cult or something. Glad I am beyond that and almost at goal and will maintain my forever weight. Pooh on them. You are way ahead of any of them.

how hateful! thats why i havent told many people besides my close friends and family about me getting banded. everyone seems to have their opinion and i dont wanna hear them any more!!!!!!! im sick of being judged, and i think you are doing gr8 for finding something that works great for you! congrats and keep losing!

I fell out with my local WW on my second visit when the 'pep-talker' of the evening was pointing out that our weightloss would be slowed or stopped if we did not take into account and make an allowance for the calories contained in oils in any Evening Primrose/ Fish Oil capsules if we were taking them.

I felt this could have a negative effect on some memebers who thought they would lose more weight if they stopped taking them.

I love WW. But I also have a proven track record of not keeping it off. It would be great if bandsters could unite and form our own area. I was so disappointed when I searched through the WW boards for such a group and all I found were discussions like the ones here. WW is big on using tools. Why is the band not considered an acceptable tool? It doesn't do any of the work for us?!

This is so sad and I'm sorry to hear they're so ignorant. What I would do is join in on their forums and post your daily food and exercise diary and let them compare to their own. But I'm somewhat of an instigator and can't just leave well enough alone. Probably best you just disengage.

Having said that, I'm really happy to hear the plan works for you. My employer offers WW at work for $175 for 12 weeks or whatever the normal course is. I've done it a couple of times in my life and it never worked for me. I can follow something like that for a few months but I don't actually lose weight. Maybe 10 lbs... It's just too much struggle with no results for me. Plus, I'm always hungry! Hence, why I'm going to get the band.

The thing I've found about people who lose weight is that they become evangelists for whatever method they are currently using. I'm sure WW is a good program for some people, as are most diets (except the crazy ones) but if you're hungry and miserable the whole time, it's not a way you can live.

I'd tell them that you're following the same exact plan as them but you're not miserably hungry on a low calorie diet and hence, don't have to be so mean :)

The way I see it, you are actively participating in the WW program. You are doing the same thing as that person. So for that person to say "lazy" just blows my mind. If you were lazy you wouldn't be doing the work.

Plus, how many times have people done WW? Joining, quitting, joining again... something isn't working because I remember at a meeting, the leader made a comment about a someone who was joining for the first time, that it's unlikely to meet a WW virgin here.

WW is a great program developed by professionals but it's not all will power. There are metabolic changes that occur when you are heavy, that work against you.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this.

Edited by Mel Mel

I am sad, I was thinking of joining weight watchers after i am cleared to eat anything, to help keep me on track and accountable to someone..

I am sad, I was thinking of joining weight watchers after i am cleared to eat anything, to help keep me on track and accountable to someone..

WW is a great program. I'd not hesitate to do it if you think it would help you succeed.

I am sad they have this attitude towards WLS. There is room in the weight loss market for everyone.

What I would do is attend the meetings for support and ask that you not be part of the celebrations portion of the meeting. Or attend the meetings for support, but not weigh in. I believe they require only a monthly weigh-in to maintain membership. You could probably even bring in a note from your doctor that you will be weighing in at his office and not at WW. WW will make an issue if you are consistently losing over 2 lbs per week.

You'd still pay the weekly fee, but you'd get the support without a showdown at the scale. During the celebrations portion of the meeting, if you have lost 5 or 10 lbs total, you'll be asked how you did it. Might not want to go into "I have a band!"

Best wishes!

Edited by Cocoabean
Good grammar is a good thing!

Guest BikiniBeachy

For the most part, a lot of the women I met on WW boards were HORRIBLE and mean, they'd attack me for no reason. I was considering re-joining, but I wouldn't be able to tell them.

I am trying to find some Lapbanders that want to count points with me!

All those WW people are probably looking into WLS as we speak.