Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will the band stop ALL hunger?

I don't know if I am confused - but should the band stop all my hunger completely? Or should I still want a few meals a day? I had the impression that when filled correctly at the "Sweet Spot" I would have no hunger at all - like I was for my 2 weeks post op.? HELP!

Sorry Ling, but the band won't stop all hunger. Heck, why would you want it to? What the band is great for is making you feel more satisfied with smaller portions.

The band doesn't do much for the psychological cravings - head hunger - that we sometimes battle.....nor will the band make the right food choices for you. You have to do that yourself.

No the band will not rid you of all hunger. the main idea is that it will fill you up on less food.< /p>

OH i wish it did!, but for the most part its alot of will power on your part before you get to the "sweet spot." Good luck with your journey:thumbup:

OH i wish it did!, but for the most part its alot of will power on your part before you get to the "sweet spot." Good luck with your journey:thumbup:

I just want that feeling like when I was post op when I couldn't care LESS about food. Surely that is the "Sweet spot"? I want to get back there? Won't I?

Edited by lingling

I think I am filled almost as much as I want to be. I still get hungry. I'm hungry about 10am, about 4 pm and about 8pm. Depending on what I've had to drink during the day. The more Water I drink, the more often I get hungry. During the middle of my cycle, like right now, I'm not hungry at all for about 4-5 days. And when I do eat, it isn't much cause I'm really tight. The rest of the month I can eat pretty much anything except french fries (go figure?) if I'm careful and eat slow and chew a lot. I would say this is pretty much how I'm supposed to be. Am I at my sweet spot? I don't know. I still think I could use a little bit, but I'm going to put it off for awhile and see what happens.

Sorry, but no. I too would love to always feel like I did for that eight or so weeks post surgery - never ever hungry, not even vaguely interested. But that went away and has never come back.

I get normal hungry now, meaning, if I havent eaten for a few hours, especially if I've burned a lot of energy (like been for a run) then I get hungry. So ah, I eat something!

That's what you need to learn - how to get hungry appropriately and respond appropriately. Killing your hunger forever, well, I dont really get the point in that. So really, I'm kidding when I say I'd want to be like that forever. There's a lot of pleasure to be had from food and eating and the whole social thing around it, and I dont get what's wrong with that, we just have to learn how to manage it! If you were seriously never interested in food, how would you like to have to force somethign down your throat at least 3 times a day for the rest of your life? If I have to eat, I want to enjoy it.

So to me, a sweet spot is a level where the amount you can eat is enough to nourish you but little enough to cause weight loss and you're not constantly bothered by hunger, you basically make it from meal to meal or meal to snack to meal without food consuming every waking moment. But never hungry? No.

The band does not stop ALL hunger, it isn't supposed to. It allows you to be full sooner with less, and with good choices will keep you full longer. Don't drink until you should. I have had 1 fill, and I haven't been hungry. I haven't been since I started the pre-op, however I remind myself to eat when I should so that I don't get overly hungry and can't make the good choices (how I got overweight). I don't think about food until I am making a meal choice. I don't log my food, so I must think about what I have had in the last few meals. I want to make sure I am getting a variety of foods. Keeping up with my liquids seems to keep me in line. I must start my day with liquids because I am to tight to make my first meal solid. Just hot tea is enough to get me going till lunch of salad or my treat of Pasta (3-4 noodles) tossed with a meat and Spanish Tomato bullion.:thumbdown:

You will still get hungry. You will still get ravenously hungry too, but the band will only keep you from eating large portions! One bite past your limit, and you'll feel very uncomfortable. It's a little like punishing yourself for eating too much by wacking yourself with a big stick! I'm surprised how often I still punish myself. Lifelong habits are sometimes lifelong habits.

Bryan

hi,

well, i had my surgery april 20th and on april 22 i wanted to eat everything in site, and it has not stopped.

the doctors let me go on full liquids april 25, because i was so hungry and mushies on april 29. it has been a real stuggle for me to just eat a little.

breaksfast 1 egg with some low fat cheese and salsa or 1/4 cup cottage cheese/with tablespoon of yogart.

lunch small can of tuna with some low fat cheese sprinkled on top and heat in mircowave or 1/2 cup cream Soup with a baby food chicken mixed in (for protien)

dinner 1/2 cup refried Beans sprinkled with l cheese, salsa and ff sour cream (1 teaspoon) or 1 small can tuna and little bit of refried Beans.< /p>

snack a sf pudding

and believe it or not i am still hungry.

i get my first fill june 5 can not wait.

good luck - to anwer your question: no

I think I like Bryans answer the best.

My success with the band is not so much that it keeps me from being hungry but it keeps me from eating too much. Heck, pre-band my eating too much had very little to do with being truly hungry.

Like Plain explained it also does not help with the head hunger which, once you get a couple fills, may be your biggest struggle-I know it was mine. And of course you need to make the right food choices and follow the eating rules. But with the band helping you to feel full on a small amount of food it is much easier to deal with your part in the process.

In my opinion you should allow yourself to get hungry before you eat your next meal. I eat three meals a day and do not snack in between so about 4-5 hours after Breakfast my tummy is rumbling. But if you snack between meals or have more than three meals per day you may rarely feel hunger.

When I am at my sweet spot, I could care less about food 90% of the time. But when I am hungry, I am really hungry . . . but then quickly full and satisfied so it does help.

It does nothing for the "I think maybe I could go for a little somethin' somethin' like _____, or _______" when you aren't really hungry but just want to eat. That is something you have to learn to overcome with time and practice. :0)

I don't know if I am confused - but should the band stop all my hunger completely? Or should I still want a few meals a day? I had the impression that when filled correctly at the "Sweet Spot" I would have no hunger at all - like I was for my 2 weeks post op.? HELP!

You would die if you never ate!!!!!!!

I think I like Bryans answer the best.

My success with the band is not so much that it keeps me from being hungry but it keeps me from eating too much. Heck, pre-band my eating too much had very little to do with being truly hungry.

Like Plain explained it also does not help with the head hunger which, once you get a couple fills, may be your biggest struggle-I know it was mine. And of course you need to make the right food choices and follow the eating rules. But with the band helping you to feel full on a small amount of food it is much easier to deal with your part in the process.

In my opinion you should allow yourself to get hungry before you eat your next meal. I eat three meals a day and do not snack in between so about 4-5 hours after Breakfast my tummy is rumbling. But if you snack between meals or have more than three meals per day you may rarely feel hunger.

CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING YOUR GOAL!!! What an accomplishment...some days I have to come on here just to read that other people are really losing weight, because I'm in a 2 week slump no matter how much I work out, I haven't lost...I know it will happen...I just don't have much patience