Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 month slump- need encouragement and a kick in the rump

I feel like I am off the wagon. I have been eating way too much. And I am getting hungry too often. I tried to fix it yesterday. I had a shake for Breakfast and salad with chicken for lunch (with a big pack of reg ranch dressing:thumbdown:) and a shake for snack. I was so hungry when I got home I had two pieces of pizza and 4(very small) breadsticks, all dipped in more ranch dressing!!! Granted, it took me about 3-4 hours to eat it, and I went to be stuffed. Please be honest, I need tough love. Give it to me!!

Sounds to me like you need a fill! There is no way that you could eat that much if you were restricted even over 4 hours. Yes, some willpower could have been used on your part. You need to be more mindful of what you are eating and distract yourself by doing other things away from food. Lock yourself if the bedroom if you need to! Ok, new day. Don't be too hard on yourself. The band could and will do more for you. You should talk to the Dr, get better restriction and start following the bandster rules-protein first, take small bites and chew well, etc. Remember, physically stay away from the food and put your mind on other things. Try to find a Bandster support group in your area if possible. They help alot. Good Luck!

Edited by Barb12590

Yes, my willpower is definatly out to lunch so to speak. I probably need a fill, but I can only eat poorly at the end of the day. I still have trouble eating solids for breakfast. I hate to make it worse...I wish my band were looser in the morning and tighter at night. I am busy all day, then get home (am still busy) but thinking about food at night. I fight it with low cal food, but seem to eat more of it. Sigh. I know this is me. I have to take it easy today because I am going out to dinner and then chapperoning (sp?) our school prom, then drinks afterwards. I can't usually have more than 2 glasses of wine, so I am ok there. Just have to watch what I eat at dinner...

Thanks again- sorry for the ramble...

Try eating more solid Protein. It works for me. It takes longer to digest so you feel full longer when you eat that. I keep boiled eggs in the refrigerator at all times. I eat lunch at 12:30, get off at 5:30 and don't get home until nearly 7:00. So, about 4:30, I eat a boiled egg, or 1 oz of low fat cheese (I like the Sargento 2% colby-jack individually wrapped pieces better than string cheese, which I think has no flavor). When I get home, I'm still okay to take the time to cook a healthy meal. I cook most nights, it's easier to stay on plan, I don't live alone so I have to feed everybody no matter what I do, and I can fix easy, tasty meals that I enjoy. Here's a couple of suggestions.

Take a square of foil. Put a boneless skinless chicken breast in the middle, a couple of tablespoons of chicken broth, season, add some broccoli (frozen works fine), a couple of carrots, a little minced garlic, diced onion. Seal the package, put it on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 350. While it's baking is the time frame when you're supposed to stop drinking. Go take a walk with the dog/kids/significant other/neighbor; or change your clothes and sit down with the dog/kids/significant other/neighbor and chat for a few minutes. When the meal is cooked, put it on a plate and throw away the foil and any juices, wipe the baking sheet off and put it away. Your only dirty dishes are silverware and plate.

You can do this with fish (with a little Water and lime or lemon juice instead of broth) but cook your veggies separate so they don't taste fishy.

With beef, you could add a couple of slices of potato, worchestershire sauce instead of broth.< /p>

Other easy things are pork tenderloin and meatloaf.

Then you're eating high quality Protein instead of getting a pizza or a sandwich..

Great suggestions Cathy. I'm going to try this.

ALS: If I were you, I would first clean out my kitchen of trigger foods (i.e., ranch dressing). What gets me through the late afternoon hours is a Protein bar. Atkins, South Beach Living, Slim Fast, etc. all make some versions that are tasty and handy. This snack will make dinner less urgent and help you not to over eat.

Most important thing you can do for yourself is get moving. I know, it is not what you want to hear, but you did ask for it. The weather is getting nicer out now so go out and start walking. Don't waste these beautiful Spring days stuck inside where all those food temptations are talking to you. Once you get moving, those positive expectations about how you are doing will come and you'll begin to believe you can get back on the wagon again. For me, when my schedule gets crazy and the days are grey and rainy, I can't get my walk in and that's when I start to struggle. This week, in Oklahoma, we haven't had a good day in a long while. This is the first week in months that I haven't exercised every day and counted my WW points. I feel terrible about it. I feel terrible about downing the leftover chocolate chips from a baking project last weekend. But, what I didn't eat is now in the bottom of my trash can. I went to the gym for an hour last night and I feel I'm back on track. Oh, I lost 2 lbs anyway this week, go figure! So now, drum roll please, I'm officially at 200 lbs (65 lbs lost). Onederland, here I come.

I'm an expert at plateauing and moving on. They happen and they are almost always our fault. But that is good news because it is something we can do something about. You can get back on track. Get a plan (like Weight Watchers), get moving, get support, and get on with your journey. The sooner you do this, the sooner you can say goodbye forever to those pounds.

I have the exact same problem. I can eat a little in the morning and at luch, but by dinner I am starving. My Dr. does not want me to snack, but most of the time I have to or I will just totally pig out at dinner. I took my daughter out to pizza buffet about three days after my last fill. I was able to eat four slices of pizza, salad, and a small piece of desert. I could have kept on eating also, and it did not take long to eat either. I was trying to see where the band was going to stop me and it never did. Fortunatly I seem to have good will power most of the time and eat well. I know I need another fill but still have to wait two weeks. Good luck and hope you had fun at the prom.

I'm the same - banded 1/20, and been plateaued for 3 weeks. Had a fill, but it didn't feel any different (will get another next week)...I've been swimming and walking, but also can't eat anything besides scrambled eggs or Protein Shake in the morning, then have a good lunch (soup with lots of veggies and pureed meat), and am still hungry at night after supper. I've been struggling with cravings, and mostly been able to stay away, but not always. 37 pounds down, but hope to lose another 15 by early June (25th college reunion ;-))

I'm having a hard time, with Soup, croutons (lots) and cheese, should be healthy but around 800 caleries.

I'm going to stop and go for a walk instead. I think you need more protien, and exercise.

I too have a problem with late night eating, when I take my evening pills. I'm starting to have cheerios with skim milk instead, and thats helping. I don't want to gain any more the weight I have lost back. good luck

Add me to the list! I'm having a hard time right now too! I have an appointment on Tuesday and I am thinking this is going to be my FIRST fill. I have had so little self control lately. I just want to eat...even when I'm not hungry...GRR I was really hoping not to need a fill...

I dont have a night time hunger problem, and never was a night time eater BUT I do struggle for time to cook. I make a habit of cooking on the weekend and freezing, or getting things into the slow cooker during the day so that its ready and all I have to do is serve and eat (or heat, serve and eat). I do big batches of steamed vegies - enough for 2 or 3 days so I dont even have to bother preparing vegetables. I make and freeze mashed potato in batches too.

It really does help if your dinner is ready to go when you walk in the door.

Since we ALWAYS have meals in the freezer, we tend to eat very well as a family at night time.

Great idea's everyone - thank you!

I think I'll try making more things in advance on the weekends too. I'm a single mom who works more than full time. I have been making big batches of turkey chili on the weekends, that way if I am hungry during the day or at night, it's quick and very filling. The kids love it too. I also keep hard boiled eggs in the frige at all times as well as strawberries or some other type of fruit.< /p>

I also find myself hungry in the middle of the night and in the kitchen looking for something to take the hunger away and it's not always the most healthy choices either! I think I may try the cherrios before bed idea until I get my next fill.

I didn't start excersicing until I was 4 months out, I lost enough weight by then to make it much easier. That helped me get over that 4 month plateau.

I have a similar issue, when I get home about 6:30 pm I'm starving. So I eat a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (lots of protein) with a little bit of fat free catalina and that holds me till dinner about 9pm. I was banded on 12/18/08 so I understand where you are coming from.

Great idea's everyone - thank you!

I think I'll try making more things in advance on the weekends too. I'm a single mom who works more than full time. I have been making big batches of turkey chili on the weekends, that way if I am hungry during the day or at night, it's quick and very filling. The kids love it too. I also keep hard boiled eggs in the frige at all times as well as strawberries or some other type of fruit.< /p>

I also find myself hungry in the middle of the night and in the kitchen looking for something to take the hunger away and it's not always the most healthy choices either! I think I may try the cherrios before bed idea until I get my next fill.

I eat Chef Jay's Protein Puffs at night quite often.....9 grams of Protein in half a bag and 99 cals , 18 gr protein in entire bag and 198 cals and low fat. I think they taste really good too!!