Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Miss California and Gay marriage

Miss California, Carrie Prejean, was runner up for the Miss USA Pageant. She answered a question about gay marriages, and gave her opinion on what she feels about homosexuals being allowed to get married. She said that she feels they should not be married. She was told by her state sponsors that she needed to apologize to the gay community. They also told her to not talk about her beliefs. She refused to do so. Since when, in this country, can't you speak your opinion, without being bashed for it? The homosexual community has no problem telling others how they feel about it. I don't agree with them, but I'm not asking for an apology from anyone who's gay.

I applaud her for standing up for what she felt was the right answer and not backing down on her beliefs when the question was posed. She was representing the majority of the people in California when she gave her answer, after all.

I believe that if you are homosexual and you want to live that life style, it's your life, so go ahead. But I also believe that God instituted the marriage union between a man and a woman together. They say their vows to Him. So, to call the homosexual lifestyle a 'marriage' is a wrong term for it. It's not a marriage. Why can't they call it a civil union, or anything else they like. Like maybe "Partnership" or how about "a love unit". Whatever. The term 'marriage' is already taken. They can still have all the same rights as married couples do. Why aren't they satisfied with that? Do they just like to argue?

Miss California, Carrie Prejean, was runner up for the Miss USA Pageant. She answered a question about gay marriages, and gave her opinion on what she feels about homosexuals being allowed to get married. She said that she feels they should not be married. She was told by her state sponsors that she needed to apologize to the gay community. They also told her to not talk about her beliefs. She refused to do so. Since when, in this country, can't you speak your opinion, without being bashed for it? The homosexual community has no problem telling others how they feel about it. I don't agree with them, but I'm not asking for an apology from anyone who's gay.

I applaud her for standing up for what she felt was the right answer and not backing down on her beliefs when the question was posed. She was representing the majority of the people in California when she gave her answer, after all.

I believe that if you are homosexual and you want to live that life style, it's your life, so go ahead. But I also believe that God instituted the marriage union between a man and a woman together. They say their vows to Him. So, to call the homosexual lifestyle a 'marriage' is a wrong term for it. It's not a marriage. Why can't they call it a civil union, or anything else they like. Like maybe "Partnership" or how about "a love unit". Whatever. The term 'marriage' is already taken. They can still have all the same rights as married couples do. Why aren't they satisfied with that? Do they just like to argue?

Not EVERYONE say their vows to "Him". I will have to give it to you, Patty, that you agree gays should have the same rights as married couples. I do not agree, however, that their union should be "called" anything but a marraige. A couple in love is no different if they are man and woman, man and man, or woman and woman.

I am in hopes that in the near future, ALL couples will have the same rights in each state of our great country.:thumbup:

I think everyone has a right to say what thier beliefs are, so here's mine. My son is gay, he has a good job, pays taxes, gives back to the community with volunteer work and was in the service. He doesn't have the same rights as a person serving time in jail for murder!!! I think until he has the same rights as everyone else he should stop paying taxes! The goverment should work for him too! Also I would never have him married in any church, they think he's an abomination, as a matter of fact my whole family has turned away from the church and I for one will not be associated with them. I hope if there is a heaven, God judges people on earth the way they judge others.

I think Miss California should just go back to "Opposite Marriageland" and quit trying to think so hard she might bruise something!:thumbup:

Yeah, I don't think she lost the title just for her views. She's a pretty atrocious speaker. However, she is entitled to speak her opinion when asked.....even if the expression is unpopular, or delivered in an extremely awkward manner.

I think Miss California showed great character by standing by her beliefs! I respect her so much for holding true to them, even though it was not popular. I agree with her.

I believe that when two people are committed to each other, that they should be allowed to have some of the same rights of other couples. I do NOT believe that they should be able to change the definition of marriage. Why does the gay community insist on calling it marriage? Why are they pushing for that particular word? It almost seems like they are forcing their lifestyle on the rest of the world, and are upset when we don't want it. For example: The whole Prop 8 thing. When the people of California voiced their opinion through voting, the gay community was in an uproar. They are always talking about how they are being oppressed, and how they want more rights. But when vote took place, in a legal and fair way, where they could exercise their right to vote, the people of California made a choice. EVERYONE had the right to vote on Prop 8, and the voters made their decision.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, and Miss California was brave enough to state hers to the world. I really look up to her for being that courageous!

Marriage isn't a strictly religious term though. If a heterosexual couple have a secular, civil ceremony, they're still considered married, aren't they? They are here in Australia.

So to say that marriage is a solely religious instituition is technically incorrect. You are NOT only 'married' if you marry in church.

If marriage is used as a term to describe the civil union of hetero couples, then it's reasonable to expect that gay couple expect that their civil unions to also be called 'marriage'. It's a word used to describe the marital contract between two people, and the religious don't have exclusive rights to the word.

i just think its really sad that all people are still not getting equal rights. why is it such a problem to some people if two homosexuals get married. they make vows to one another... some do so in a church or temple before G*D... they get married in every sense of the word. I for one beleive G*D sees it as a holy union the same as with a heterosexual couple.

My best friend is gay, and i want for him all the rights that i enjoy as a heterosexual woman. I want him to fall in love, get married, have children if he chooses to. i truely beleive in a G*D who created us as equal, and treats us as equals, loves us as equals. I feel sad for those who beleive in an intolerent, hateful G*D.

amy

Regardless of which side of the issue you're on, I think it's beyond stupid to bash somebody on their opinion when it's asked of them. Of course, all the controversy has been good for the pagent, I suppose......which is probably why Donald Trump has pretentious jerks like Perez Hilton on as judges.

Personally, I think the whole idea of Miss America/Universe, whatever is outdated. I don't even know of anyone who even watches it anymore.

Perez Hilton is a shameful little flit who is, what? Anybody? I have no idea what he is besides a bitter little gay man.

I too am all for Miss California and how she stuck to her beliefs regardless of how one feels about the topic in general. People like Hilton ask one's opinion and when it's not the "RIGHT" opinion, chooses instead to show what pond scum he is and calls her derogatory names for giving an HONEST answer. I personally don't care what Hilton thinks of her answer at all. He had an agenda, and it blew up in his face. I believe more people are supporting her than him at this point.

Well I guess if you dont believe that God instituted marriage but that it is a man conceived legal arrangement which affords both partners certain rights and is also a socially respected, very traditional way to publically declare love and commitment between two people then you wouldnt see a reason in the world why gay couples dont have the same rights to this as heterosexual couples.

I really believe anyone who cant see that or wont accept that is splitting hairs over the marriage issue to hide the fact that they really dont believe a relationship between two people of the same sex can be as loving and committed as a relationship betwee two people of opposite sex.

Your post was not really about Miss California, it was more a chance to make your statement on what you think about gay marriage (an opinion to which you are entitled of course), correct? So you want people's views on this and not on Ms California?

Nevertheless, I believe she is courageous and has integrity for sticking by her belief however warped they may be. Good on her, the whole gay marriage cause does not need a bunch of homophobic hypocrite who do not really believe in the issue but want to say/do the socially acceptable thing.

Edited by Jachut

That may be, Jachut, but it is how some believe. And they're entitled to have a nation the way they want it via voting, etc.

I wholly believe that partners should have rights, legally and otherwise, to, say, visit their SO in the hospital, make legal decisions, own joint property, etc. I truly don't understand that, where people who have been together for years are then treated like a stranger if their loved one is in the hospital, for example.

I have a great set of neighbors who lives right near us. They've been together as long as DH and I have. If gay marriage passed, I wouldn't riot in the streets or anything like that, but if ASKED via a vote, I could not in good conscious vote for it. It's my right to vote as I believe, and I won't be bullied by the PC police into doing otherwise. The last time I checked, I was entitled to vote with my conscience and believe what I believe.

Isnt that the same as what I said? That you should stick up for your beliefs and not be bullied into doing the PC thing if you dont believe in it? Everyone is entitled to opinions, whatever they may be.

Really, it comes down to your definition of marriage I guess. What you just described is what I think of marriage as, except it comes with a nice social ceremony and a big party.

I put my 2c in more because I just find the whole issue mildly amusing in that as a society we abuse the whole marriage concept terribly, divorce rates are high, we commit adultery, we physically abuse marriage partners, it all turns bitter and nasty for some as they fight over material assets and children, we have children out of wedlock, the whole works. We hardly honor it as a creation of God, societally speaking. But we somehow draw the line and become all pious when it involves homosexual couples? That's just, well, weird to me.

But I'm not overly bothered that others think of it differently to me, especially since i guess I conform - I am married, I am in a heterosexual relationship, it is happy and committed and we have three children. So I dont have to wear any of the criticism. I would never disagree that people dont have the right to have a say via vote if they dont feel the same.