Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster Hell: 3-8wks postop. Hungry with No Restriction.

Thin- I'm not a cottage cheese fan. So I'm wondering if you think it has a strong cottage cheesey flavor after baking?

do you like ricotta? i dont like the texture of ricotta so i do cottage. i also added some chicken from a pouch since it is so soft and easy to puree. honestly the garlic and pizza seasoning really pop more than the cottage cheese.< /p>

I am 2 weeks post op and can eat w/o restriction, I do make an effort to limit what I eat, but feel hungry all the time. I have a 900cal/70gm protien diet and I know I don't get the whole 900 cals daily. I have not lost one ounce of wt since my surgery April 17, and trying not to become discourage, don't make a difference if I do, I know I must do well on my part and listen to the docs. But I do want to scream. Every one tells me they do notice my wt has gone down. I do believe I have lost inches without the pounds. I will keep on trucking....

i feel your pain...my dr is allowing me to go on regular foods in 3 days (i have been on mushies) and i am so starving...my first fill isn't til june 5 and i am eating healthy...at least i think i am...but good lord...i could eat a horse right now. good luck and keep up the great work!

katie

I went back for my second fill today - am still hungry! But need to be realistic I guess - I have eaten today

6 crackers, 1 coffee, 1/2 an apple juice and porridge (195cal)... maybe a bit of hunger is normal????

lingling- You are SUPPOSED to be hungry as you get toward meal time. If you get to the point where there is NO hunger ever, then something is wrong. Remember the band is supposed to make you eat smaller amounts and keep the food in the pouch longer (4 hours or so) if you eat right...solid Protein first, then fruits and vegetables. But, you probably know all that.

195 cals is not enough for one meal even, and I'm guessing you're supposed to be eating sliders right now because of the fills (your list is sliders), because there wasn't any Protein mentioned...maybe that was your Breakfast list? Most docs recommend a minimum of 1000-1200 cals per day or you'll stop losing weight. I just want to make sure you're not in starvation mode?

terelbel, i'm in the same boat. Almost 2 weeks out and I am definitely eating less than I used to - probably around 1200-1400cals/day but I have not lost any significant amount of weight since my surgery (just 1lb) however I can see my bracelets are looser and my shoes are not so tight - unfortunately my stomach still feels swollen (and I still get a fair bit of port pain when I lie down at night). Like you, I'm trying not to get discouraged and am just keeping on trucking.

On the issue of 'restriction' and what is enough restriction, I really don't know if I have it or if I don't. I'm feeling very confused about the meaning of 'restriction' and the concept of what is 'enough' restriction. I haven't had a fill yet but I definitely cannot eat the same portion sizes as before - I'd say I'd can only fit in 'normal' size portions now compared to what I could fit in before (one ham and salad sandwich for lunch instead of 2) and I find I am full on these 'normal' size portions and I don't get hungry again for 3-4 hours after a meal. Is that enough restriction? I was hoping that it was and I have been really happy with the fact that I would be living like a normal person and not always thinking about what I am going to be eating next - I really like that I can go to a restaurant with friends and eat a normal size meal (where if serves are large, I end up leaving food on the plate) but no more than that - maybe just enough room for a bite of a dessert but definitely not a whole dessert. Also, it seemed in line with what the nutritionist explained we should aim for. However, I'm worried that my expectations of how much I should be (and am) eating are different to (and a lot more than) what people who are successfully losing weight with the lap band are actually doing.

I'd be very interested to know what everyone else here thinks "restriction" is and to hear people's thoughts on whether eating "normal' size portions is too much.

I am 2 weeks post op and can eat w/o restriction, I do make an effort to limit what I eat, but feel hungry all the time. I have a 900cal/70gm protien diet and I know I don't get the whole 900 cals daily. I have not lost one ounce of wt since my surgery April 17, and trying not to become discourage, don't make a difference if I do, I know I must do well on my part and listen to the docs. But I do want to scream. Every one tells me they do notice my wt has gone down. I do believe I have lost inches without the pounds. I will keep on trucking....

I understand all the hunger. I still stick to the 2 oz. at meal time. I am just afraid of screwing my surgery up. I drink constantly to keep the hunger away. I drink my protien drinks to help. sugar free pops and Jello help a lot too.

I understand all the hunger. I still stick to the 2 oz. at meal time. I am just afraid of screwing my surgery up. I drink constantly to keep the hunger away. I drink my protien drinks to help. sugar free pops and Jello help a lot too.

Are you on regular foods now, or are you still on a phase of the post-op diet? Just asking because 2oz. is a tiny amount if you're now on the lifetime meal plan.< /p>

hey guys. I'm 2 weeks post opp. The staples aren't even out yet. I can eat whatever the heck I want. I have NO restriction. I'm scared that I can eat whatever I want. The dietician working with my doc said I could eat it if it didn't come up...ummm nothing is coming up. I knew about the 6 week waiting period but even having that knowledge didn't prepare me for the disappointment I feel right now. I paid this huge amount of money and did this surgery because I can't do it on my own. Telling myself to have patience, that it will happen doesn't make that piece of cake look any less inviting or my will power any stronger than it has been at any point in my life. aack.

Are you not on the post-op diet? I'll be at 2 weeks tomorrow and I don't get to start pureed until Friday, I'm still on full liquids... I'm just curious because I have no idea how much I could eat because I'm not allowed to "eat" yet, lol.

Hi Lilith,

My post opp diet said liquids for the first few days, then when you feel up to it move on to mushies, and then if it doesn't hurt...go ahead and eat it. I was eating real food within 2 weeks. I double checked with my dietician and she confirmed I could eat what I wanted as long as there was no pain and vomiting. I am not just past 3 weeks and it's like I don't even have the band. I get full a bit faster but that's it.

Hi Lilith,

My post opp diet said liquids for the first few days, then when you feel up to it move on to mushies, and then if it doesn't hurt...go ahead and eat it. I was eating real food within 2 weeks. I double checked with my dietician and she confirmed I could eat what I wanted as long as there was no pain and vomiting. I am not just past 3 weeks and it's like I don't even have the band. I get full a bit faster but that's it.

That stinks! As much as the liquid, pureed diet, mushy diet my doctor does is a pain, I think I would rather deal with what I am than what you are. I think the main reason I'm not starving is because at this point I'm used to not eating much... (2 week pre-op diet definitely helped with that). Hang in there! When do you get your first fill???

My biggest problem right now is not drinking while I eat. I start my pureed last night (called and got the okay to start a day early) and I have to fight not to drink.

I'm a 8 to five nurse and it is so hard for me to commit to food and drinking during working hrs. I have to make my self eat or take a drink and go to the bathroom. It's been like this for years. I make sure to get my Protein Shakes in and right now that's the best I can do. I know I have to do better. I commit today to at least have the Water on my desk to sip through out the day. Thanks for the good tips

I am now on the pureed phase. My Dr gave me detailed menus for each phase and I am just following that. I do find that I am more hungry lately but I am resisting. I read so many people who are on do many diets but I will do as my Dr ordered. As of next Tues I start the soft food phase and there is even a sample menu for that. I am pretty sure that I can mix that up and follow it to help get me to my 1st fill.

I'm officially a cheater. I'd been having so many energy level problems (shaky, light headed) on my very restrictive post-op phase 1 diet (3 weeks of clear SF liquids and skim milk only), tracking 400-500 cals per day. I called and got permission to add Protein Drinks, but I am cheating and adding a little strained Soup for a few more calories. I was still light headed this morning, but this is the first day I've felt almost normal so far. I go in Tues. for my post-op c/u, and will start my 3 weeks of mushies then...can't wait! First fill is still 4 weeks away!

I'm officially a cheater. I'd been having so many energy level problems (shaky, light headed) on my very restrictive post-op phase 1 diet (3 weeks of clear SF liquids and skim milk only), tracking 400-500 cals per day. I called and got permission to add Protein drinks, but I am cheating and adding a little strained Soup for a few more calories. I was still light headed this morning, but this is the first day I've felt almost normal so far. I go in Tues. for my post-op c/u, and will start my 3 weeks of mushies then...can't wait! First fill is still 4 weeks away!

BG, omg that's a crazy post op diet! I don't blame you for cheating! It's weird how different some Dr's are. Mine for instance had a strict pre op diet, but the post op had no guide lines for calories, just liquids, mushies and solids in that order. Within 3 weeks I'm eating regular food and having no problems with that. I can't image being on such a low cal diet. Hats off to you girl, you're doing a great job! Hang in there.