Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the two week diet right before surg???

Ok i my be jumping the gun. But i have been reading that two weeks before surg. You go on a diet that reduce liver size? So i am trying to make sure i can aim for a week my husband is on vaction to have my surg done. As long as all my test come back ok for the preop testing then it should not be a problem. So i want to go ahead and start this diet so there is not reason why they cant do the surg in this time frame. Can anyone tell me what it is. My doctors office has not said anything about it yet. But they dont tell you much before its time to have the next step done. So i wanted to know if anyone can tell me what it is? And if i should start it prior to the pre op testing or will that effect the test in some way? I am having my pre op testing done next week. Also can anyone tell me what it is. I have already done the phych and nutr. Assessment. That had to be done before it was sent into the ins comp. They have approved me. So the lady at the dr office said i would get a call monday to set up my testing and lab work for the surg. So does any one know what it is?

Unfortunately, the pre-op diet differs dramatically from surgeon to surgeon. My doctor's pre-op diet is two whey Protein Shakes per day and two meals consisting of 3 oz of lean Protein and a steamed veggie each. I've read on here of doctors with Optifast liquid for the two weeks; others who do another Protein Shake 3 times a day and 1 lean meal. Wish I could be of more help, but only your doctor's office can tell you what your doctor wants. I will tell you that the purpose of the pre-op diet is to get fat out of your liver so that it takes up a little less space so the surgeon has a little more room to work in and to lessen the risk of him scratching or nicking your liver and making it bleed. Weight loss is not really a concern for the doctor's office. I was so concerned that nobody had said they wanted to see me lose at least x number of pounds and when I asked, it was explained to me that however much you lose pre-op is great but that really isn't a goal. You could do the pre-op diet I did starting now but it might not be what your doctor wants, so I would say call and ask specifically.

Ok i my be jumping the gun. But i have been reading that two weeks before surg. You go on a diet that reduce liver size? So i am trying to make sure i can aim for a week my husband is on vaction to have my surg done. As long as all my test come back ok for the preop testing then it should not be a problem. So i want to go ahead and start this diet so there is not reason why they cant do the surg in this time frame. Can anyone tell me what it is. My doctors office has not said anything about it yet. But they dont tell you much before its time to have the next step done. So i wanted to know if anyone can tell me what it is? And if i should start it prior to the pre op testing or will that effect the test in some way? I am having my pre op testing done next week. Also can anyone tell me what it is. I have already done the phych and nutr. Assessment. That had to be done before it was sent into the ins comp. They have approved me. So the lady at the dr office said i would get a call monday to set up my testing and lab work for the surg. So does any one know what it is?

It definitely differs. I'm lucky- I'm on sugar busters which means no refined sugars or white bread/potatoes/rice etc, but there's no caloric limitation and I definitely don't have to do a horrible shake! Plenty of time for that after surgery.

You will have to ask them but just so you know, the vast majority of people don't have an issue with their liver being too fatty. It's really just a precaution.

Call and ask your surgeon's assistant. The lenght of time varies, as does the diet. Some don't even have to do one; some have to do three (or more) weeks, etc. You won't be able to schedule surgery without the surgeon's input anyway....so call and ask!

I was told to do a low carb diet.... I am limited to 20 carbs a day. The nutritionist gave me a packet on the Atkins Diet and told me to follow that for the two weeks. There is a great link on here that helped me understand exactly what that does to shrink your liver. I would still contact your surgeon, but it might be a place to start while you are waiting. Good luck!

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f273/how-shrink-your-liver-increase-st-weight-loss-low-carb-pre-op-diet-65020/

thanks everyone i will call first thing monday morning to find out. everytime i see something i know i cant have after surg i purchase it. I feel like if he give me some limitations i will not do this. also my dr has a policy that says if you gain wieght after your first weigh in he will not do surg on you.:smile2: so i dont want to do anything that might make me gain....

I had no pre opt diet. I have heard it depends on how heavy you are. If you are heavier, then there is more need to shrink the liver they think, so if you have a BMI say over 40 then you have to go on it?

My surgeon Im sure is different than others.

I spoke to my Dr. Office today and they told me they do not require a and diet before surg. I asked about the different liq/ Protein diet and she stated " no" they do not give their Pt's a diet to follow before surg. she said if I wanted to start on a diet then eat healthy and aiming for 800-1000 cals a day to get used to what my life will be like after surg. and if I drink coke then try and stop that now will help. but it was not required until after surg. I guess this is good but it does make me wonder why they are all different.

As I said above, Im pretty sure it also has to do with how much you weight. Some posters have BMI well above 50, and if they dont do a presurgery diet, their liver may be too fatty. One poster had to be opened and closed back up because her liver was too fatty. The purpose of the presurgery diet is to shrink your fatty liver. Also, one nurse posted that if your liver is fatty its more slippery and harder to move out of the way to get to your stomach.

Restless Monkey, is the ID of the poster who had to be closed up because her liver was too fatty to perform the surgery.

Most of us are borderline severly obese, so it may or may not be required to be safe. Some doctors just want you to get a head start. It does vary, but some have to shrink their livers first.

every dr.'s requirments are different. Mine does not make you go on some crazy liquid diet 2 weeks before to reduce the liver. They ask that you loose 10% of your body weight, for me that was 10-15lbs prior to surgery to shrink the liver.

Frankly I'm glad my doc required the "crazy" liquid diet rather than 10%...for a 250 pound person that would be 25 pounds, for me over 40. It's way harder to lose 40 pounds than to follow a strict diet for a week or two, IMHO.

It's interesting to find out how different the diets are. My surgeon says 3 Protein Shakes a day (of 30 grams of Protein and 6 or less grams of sugar), and Clear Liquids that are sugar free, de-carbonated, and de-caffeinated. I'm on day two of my 10 day pre-surgery diet, and I'm already reaching for my Flintstones Vitamins just to have something to chew on. :biggrin:

I started my preop diet yeturday. It is two shakes one for Breakfast one for lunch and a 400 calorie diet for two weeks. I am only two days in and i am so hungry and i have this horriable headack i know it is sugar withdraw.