Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas pain in shoulder - 10 days post op

Does anybody has any ideas on how to get rid of the gas pain in my left shoulder? I can handle the tenderness around my port incision, but this shoulder pain is tough. I've used heating pads, Gas-X chewables, Motrin, walking, and sleeping on my left side to get rid of the pain, but it really isn't getting much better. Any other ideas?

Have someone rub your back and patting your back almost as if they are burping a baby. That really helped me alot when it got to be really bad.

How long will the gas pain last? I was band April 17,2009

im about 12 days post op and im still having gas pains... they come and go but i am still quite gassy. i have noticed also i still get a tightness in my left shoulder and arm which is pretty miserable when im trying to sleep... hang in there and hopefully it will go away soon!

My left shoulder pain is pretty bad although I'm only a few days out.

There is another thread here about the left shoulder pain. I too have suffered from left shoulder pain since my surgery on 3/30. Apparently there is a nerve at the bottom of your esophagus that is connected to your left shoulder.

In the other thread someone noted that it tends to flare up when either hungry or over full. Now that I've been aware of it being a nerve issue I noticed that for me it happens after I've eaten.

I now measure EVERYTHING I eat... It's getting better... But I still have pain from time to time.

No matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of the pain in my shoulder. For me it was just time. I finally noticed that I didn't have the shoulder pain about 9-10 weeks after surgery. For me that was the worst part of the whole procedure however I would do it again in a heartbeat. No regrets!

It is referred pain from your diaphragm. It irritates a nerve and causes the muscle to cramp. What helped me was having my husband rub it (with a pretty strong grip) so the muscle would relax. It happened with me only when I overexerted (like breathing hard from exercise).

Gas X won't help it because it isn't really gas...

I don't want to alarm any of you, but I am 11 weeks post-op and I still have shoulder pain. It isn't constant any more, it comes and goes, but it is still there and still annoying. Its not as bad as it was at first, more annoying than painful now.

My surgeon wasn't surprsied when I told him, he said it could be a while longer before it goes completely.

I just had my surgery on Tuesday and I am expericening some awlful shoulder and left side pain. I can hardly get a deep breath. I've just started the heating pad thing. And I've ate just about a whole box of Gax X strips. I have only belched a tiny bit, I wish I could let a big one out. I know that sounds gross but it is painful.

I also just had my op on 7 May 2009....so I'm into day 3....I was in soooo much pain last night, the pain in my right shoulder and neck was excutiating....thankfully today it has settled down a lot in my shoulder and is now just my neck is sore so I'm able to move around little more...the nurses said it had soemthing to do with wind, but I'm not so sure....

I really really hope it doesn't take too long to settle down, I can handle the stomach tenderness but the pain in up top is horrible!