Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I right to be angry and frustrated?

Thanks so much! I'm one of those people who hates to exercise so I'm forcing myself to get up every morning at 4:30 am to get it over and done with for the day. It's hard but gets a little easier every day. I'm hoping one day the exercise fairy will sprinkle some "cardio dust" on me and turn me into one of those people who just loves to exercise!

Melissa

Prior to banding I did everything in my power to avoid any kind of exercise - and even in the beginning I did it - but it was so hard - it does get easier - I can promise you that and in getting easier - you don't dread it so much...

I can't say I LOVE it - but I do enjoy my 2 days with trainer and usually Saturday Mornings on the treadmill - it's my Tuesday's on the treadmill that can be a chore cuz I do it after work.

But gotta say I love seeing the improvement in my balance strength and speed and incline... I went on a cruise in March and was able to zip line and repel in the canopy in Puerto Viarta... That was a thrill and a real 1st for me...

I can say you may never LOVE it :thumbup:- but you won't HATE it :thumbup: and will come to LIKE IT VERY MUCH :smile:

Can someone explain the "restriction" feeling to me. I don't have my band yet and this is comfusing me. It would seem that just having the band would cause the feeling of restriction. I thought the fills where done as you move along and you get used to where you are at. I thought I understood how this worked but maybe I have not gotten the correct information. I want to be fully informed as I move forward... Not judging just asking..

Thanks

I am so glad that I found this thread. I too am in "bandster hell" and I am encouraged by some of the replies on here.

I guess, for me, it's not about if I am losing weight, or its not about if it is a magic bullet, its just that I am anxious now that the swelling has gone down, and I feel exactly like I did pre-band. When I say I am anxious - I am not saying that it is a rational fear or emotion - I am saying that I feel scared and worried and upset that what if this isn't normal, and what if I have been through this huge experience, paid $10K + and had all these hopes for the future (and I mean 1-2yrs future - not 1mth post op) and I am starting to worry that maybe it's not going to work for me. Reading these posts of people who have been there really do help, as all I needed was a little bit of reassurance that this is normal and I will be okay and it will help me to lose weight. Perhaps this is what "A New Woman" was looking for as well. Logically we know that WLS does work - we have all looked at the 100s of amazing before & after pictures - but we just need to know that despite how scared we feel at the moment as the hunger has returned, that we can and WILL be one of those people too... So thanks for the reassurance that you guys have given. Hang in there everyone - and those waiting for fills and who are in Bandster Hell at the moment, please come back and tell us how you feel after your fill.

xx

P.S In the literature that my doc provided me with it says "your hunger will return, but do not worry, you have not had a fill yet" it also says that "anger is a common emotion post surgery - as it is often anxiety over a fear of failing once again - manifesting itself as anger". Hang in there xxx

Can someone explain the "restriction" feeling to me. I don't have my band yet and this is comfusing me. It would seem that just having the band would cause the feeling of restriction. I thought the fills where done as you move along and you get used to where you are at. I thought I understood how this worked but maybe I have not gotten the correct information. I want to be fully informed as I move forward... Not judging just asking..

Thanks

Restriction is when you eat hard protien and after a few bite you feel full and can't eat anymore - you don't feel it 24/7 you don't feel your band in your stomach - when you eat you get full on a smaller amount of food

Some bands come with a little fill in them - some pple don't need fills just the band alone gives them the restriction they need to eat smaller quanities - some docs are agressive with fills and others aren't some fill 4 weeks 6 wks and 8 wks - I got to my sweet spot in 2 fills - some pple are on their 6th and still arent there...

I am so glad that I found this thread. I too am in "bandster hell" and I am encouraged by some of the replies on here.

I guess, for me, it's not about if I am losing weight, or its not about if it is a magic bullet, its just that I am anxious now that the swelling has gone down, and I feel exactly like I did pre-band. When I say I am anxious - I am not saying that it is a rational fear or emotion - I am saying that I feel scared and worried and upset that what if this isn't normal, and what if I have been through this huge experience, paid $10K + and had all these hopes for the future (and I mean 1-2yrs future - not 1mth post op) and I am starting to worry that maybe it's not going to work for me. Reading these posts of people who have been there really do help, as all I needed was a little bit of reassurance that this is normal and I will be okay and it will help me to lose weight. Perhaps this is what "A New Woman" was looking for as well. Logically we know that WLS does work - we have all looked at the 100s of amazing before & after pictures - but we just need to know that despite how scared we feel at the moment as the hunger has returned, that we can and WILL be one of those people too... So thanks for the reassurance that you guys have given. Hang in there everyone - and those waiting for fills and who are in Bandster Hell at the moment, please come back and tell us how you feel after your fill.

xx

P.S In the literature that my doc provided me with it says "your hunger will return, but do not worry, you have not had a fill yet" it also says that "anger is a common emotion post surgery - as it is often anxiety over a fear of failing once again - manifesting itself as anger". Hang in there xxx

I'm almost 2 yrs out - below goal weight at healthy bmi weight but still afarid this isn't going to work or should I say I am afarid that I will go back to my old ways - and even with the band I know how to eat around it. I am very aware of my food addiction - one day at a time - that's all I can control - so that's what I stay focused on.

Wow - I can totally relate. The swelling post surgery definately made things easier -- as there was restriction! Now I am starting to feel really hungry a lot - I stop and think whether I am really hungry or bored...and I am hungry! So I focus on Protein and wait ever-so-patiently for my 6 weeks appt when I get my first fill. I am glad we have this forum to support one another. (not judge one another) We are all in this together and need to use our experiences to help each other - not tear each other down. No matter how much research or how many friends you have with the band - nothing prepared me to go from feeling a LOT of restriction post op to absolutely nothing a few weeks later...wierd! But I am in it for the long haul - and know that we will get our fills and stick with it and things will change....patience...not my favorite virtue by far!

tell me something, does head hunger eventually go away or is it life long pain in the toosh

Just a note for those with Blue Cross Blue Shield. There is a 90 day wait for a first fill. I was banded on 2/10/09 and still waiting. Yes it is hard. I am not losing but not gaining. Trying to work on the band eating habits so it is not too much of a shock when I do feel restriction.

tell me something, does head hunger eventually go away or is it life long pain in the toosh

Life Long I think - it's our addiction - it will never go away - we just learn to control it..

Just a note for those with Blue Cross Blue Shield. There is a 90 day wait for a first fill. I was banded on 2/10/09 and still waiting. Yes it is hard. I am not losing but not gaining. Trying to work on the band eating habits so it is not too much of a shock when I do feel restriction.

I have BCBS and I do not have a 90 day wait. A common misconception among people that have insurance is that ALL insurance policies provided through a certain carrier are the same. There are certain restrictions, inclusions and exclusions that your policy may have that others do not. Think of health insurance the same way you would think of car insurance. I'll use Progressive as an example. Just because you have a Progressive policy does not mean that everybody that has a Progressive policy has the same coverage and deductibles. Everything depends on what your employer chose to cover for your benefits. Not all BCBS policies cover Lap-band.

With that being said.. Hang in there and get your fills when you can. I am having a terrible time eating the way I should too. I feel like my old habits are returning. Going in for my first fill in about an hour! We will see how this goes...

Wish me luck!

Rachel

I'm just disappointed that bandster hell wasn't explained at my post-op visit. They tried to explain other things, why not this? Initially, after surgery you think "Wow, this is great! I'm not hungry, I'm satisified on liquid's (mushies, etc.)." Then all of a sudden the swelling goes down and you feel like you did before surgery. It's just very discouraging when you don't expect it. I just think had I expected it more I would have been better prepared for my appointment delays.

I totally understand. My dr. and staff left most explaining to be done by the nutritionist and she never once mentioned "bandster hell" I had no idea what was going on, felt and still feel so lost. I have 5 more days of liquids (not full, been on for 12 now) and not even sure if I have to watch the amounts anymore. When I had swelling I was getting about 2 –4 oz down and now I don’t think there is much of a limit.

I did a lot of reading and checking out my doctors before the surgery and I guess nothing will prepare us for it until we experience it first hand.

I know that I have a support group in my area that meets once a month, as soon as I find out dates and times I am going to check it out.

I wish you all the best and keep us post on your journey!

Wendy

Edited by redhead722