Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I right to be angry and frustrated?

I am sorry you are frustrated but right on the lap band website it states:

Your First Adjustment

The first adjustment usually occurs about six weeks after surgery, although the exact time varies from patient to patient. The LAP-BAND® System is designed to help you achieve steady and safe weight loss, so don't be in a hurry. You and your surgeon will decide when the time is right for you to have your first adjustment.

At your first adjustment appointment, you should expect to discuss your eating habits, exercise, and rate of weight loss. This will help determine if it's time for you to have a band adjustment. If it is, you can expect the following:

• An evaluation of your pouch size and stoma size before adjusting the band (this isn't always done. Your surgeon may or may not evaluate your pouch size and stoma size before the adjustment.)
  • Adjustment of your LAP-BAND® System
  • Evaluation of your pouch size and stoma size after the procedure to confirm that the proper band adjustment has been made.
  • Click here to learn more about adjustments.

Your surgeon may not have told you about that stuff, but did you ask? I was banded one week after you, my surgeon didn't exactly tell me about the fill being 6 weeks post op but he did tell me that this was the time for healing and making sure i stuck to the post op diet.

Thanks but I still don't see where what you pointed out talks about bandster hell and how difficult this time is and that there is little, if any, restriction during the period after surgery until the first fill. I am no shrinking violet and am not shy about asking questions of my surgeon. But obviously, what I've read, didn't prepare me for the right questions to ask. That's where you rely on your surgeon to inform and teach you. Sorry, but I think it sucks. He should spend more time explaining to his patients what to expect after the post-op visit until your first visit. A lot was explained about the post op diet -- but he didn't talk about fat calories, only the type of food to eat and to make sure it was "soft" and could be cut with a plastic fork. But he didn't spend any time on the lack of restriction. I paid a lot of money (like everyone else here) to have this surgery and I am more than prepared to do MY part, but I expect my surgeon to do his part outside of the actual surgery and spend time on the challenges.

It almost sounds like you didn't do much research before jumping in to this. The first 6-8 weeks, IF you lose weight, that's a bonus. At this point it's ALL about healing. Nothing else.

My surgeon doesn't even start fills until at least 6 weeks out. A lot are the same way. After you start getting fills, you still may not feel any difference until after several fills have taken place.

At this point, and until you get enough fills to find your sweet spot, you are in Bandster Hell and basically doing this on your own. In my case, even with no fills or only a few fills, I still was eating A LOT less than I had before surgery.

I'm so sorry you're struggling. I totally understand. Hang in there. Get your fills and follow dr's orders! Best wishes!!

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I did do a lot of research on the lap band but the only place I have even learned about lap band hell is here, thanks to people being honest and up front about these difficulties.

I know I'm grumpy and probably had some unreasonable expectations. I guess I could have dealt with the 2 weeks delay if I would have understand this phase better.

I appreciate your comments. You are kinder than many and didn't imply that I'm stupid like some others here.

Lisa, I am sorry you are having such a hard time. It's difficult when we finally make the decision and have the surgery for you have curve balls thrown. I know you are excited about moving forward and anything that stands in your way will be annoying. Get your fill, and if you feel that your needs are not being responded to appropriately by your physician, you may need to make a change. You deserve that support.In the meantime, hang in there, after your fill you will see more results and will move forward. Don't lose faith, be proud of being strong and getting this far. Good Luck, sending you a gentle hug

Lola

Banded 2/09

Thank you! Hug received! Backatcha!

A new woman///

good morning..I feel your pain because i had the band surgery in august 2007 and because my mother passed away i deviated from the whole thing..i waited until 12.2008 to get back on track..i am down 30 lbs now..i have 8cc in my band..my band holds 14cc..i get stuck sometimes but for the most part i dont eat alot..i drink more to get over my cravings..good luck!

First, let me extend my sincerest sympathy to you at the loss of your mother. Losing your mother at the young age of 29 is tough. It was terribly hard for me when I was 41 (3 years ago). Losing your mother is one of life's greatest sorrows. It's no wonder you deviated from the program. Second, wishing you the best of luck now that you are back on track. 30 lbs. down is awesome!

Edited by A New Woman

Wow,

I could have written that post myself. With exactly the same numbers, except my band-date was 3/23/09. 12lbs preop. 7lbs post-op. Struggling and cant have my first fill until 5/11, as my surgeon requires a 6 week wait before the first fill.I can eat basically anything, but do have occasional problems with some foods getting stuck. Its been really tough. The first couple weeks were great because my stomach was still swollen and I could only eat small amounts and I was full.

Here's what keeps me going: that sensation of feeling full will come back. It might be 1 fill, or 3 fills or 6. It might be 3 weeks or 3 months. But, Im going to be able to eat half a hamburger patty with Tomato, onion and lettuce and be FULL. Im going to be able to put down my fork after eating most of a chicken breast and 4 forkfulls of baked Beans and a taste of coleslaw at a BBQ. Im not going to be the girl who needs to have seconds and thirds at every meal. We will both get there...maybe not in time for your 25th wedding anniversary...but I cant wait to hear how thrilled you are on your 26th!

Much luck to you,

Katie

Katie: Thanks for your constructive advise. Really great to read. Directing my thoughts to my 26th anniversary gave me something to look forward to. thanks again!

Lisa, I hear your frustration and while I agree that most doctors wait until 6-8 weeks to do a fill - most don't do a good job of telling patients what to expect during that time. And it is not up to the patient to be knowledgable enough at this point to ask the right questions. Is your surgeon a general surgeon who does bariatric surgery also? That's what mine is/was. I just switched surgeons this week to one in a top ranked hospital of excellence. My new surgeon only does bariatric surgery. My former surgeon only met with bariatric patients on Tuesday afternoons and I had two appts. canceled due to emergencies (that I presume where his general surgeon patients). When I met with him 3 weeks post op (no fill) he wanted me to lose 10-15 pound within the next 3 weeks (by the next appt). How about that for "not getting it?" He was all about the number on the scale. What I have found is that with me, I still have to rely heavily on willpower to avoid overeating. I had many problems with my last fill (had to have that amount unfilled) and that, along with other factors, caused me to get a second opinion and eventually change doctors. If your doctor is not a full time bariatric surgeon, that might be a problem for you. You can private message me if you want more information about my lapband journey (I was banded 9/08) because much of my experience sounds like what you are going through with your doctor. Good luck.

i think its very common to wait 6 weeks for a fill...it sucks that no one explained to u how hard it is without any restriction...but it does get better...i'm not coming down on u or jumping on my high horse...but a lot of people want to put some blame on the surgeon if their not losing...the surgeon is to perform the surgery and give u fills when needed...i understand u dont feel he is doing that part of his job right now...but u need to take responsibility for ur journey...my surgeon does not call to c if im eating right..exercising or anything else...he is a surgeon...this is up to u...if u want it bad enuff...U WILL do what it takes...good luck....and i KNOW u'll do great!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks 2Flyguys: You are a very motivating person and have good points without being nasty. I don't mean to come off sounding like I'm blaming my surgeon for not losing. I, and I alone, am responsible for what I put in my mouth. I'm just disappointed that bandster hell wasn't explained at my post-op visit. They tried to explain other things, why not this? Initially, after surgery you think "Wow, this is great! I'm not hungry, I'm satisified on liquid's (mushies, etc.)." Then all of a sudden the swelling goes down and you feel like you did before surgery. It's just very discouraging when you don't expect it. I just think had I expected it more I would have been better prepared for my appointment delays.

BTW, loved your other thread on what you have done to succeed with your weight loss! (Loved how you told the haters to stay away... Hard to believe how many uncompassionate people there are that have "been there...")

Here's my Experience

My doc doesn't fill til 8 weeks out.. as they want your stiches to heal and not to put undue stress on the while healing

With banding your aren't going to lose the weight super quickly - and after you do lose those first few weeks very quickly its going to slow down - with lapband 1-2 lbs a week is average - and with the lapband you are only expected to lose 50-60% of your excess weight.. Those are the statistics of the lapband and also it can take up to 2 yrs to lose that 50 to 60 % of your excess weight

Now here is the big one - and you may get upset with me saying it - but it's the truth - and this is comming from someone who as 21 months under her belt.

YOU DO NEED WILL POWER WITH THE BAND OR ANY WLS

The band doesn't make your food choices for you even when you are properly restricted - candy ice cream Cookies cakes chips and adult beverages all slip right thru the band.

You band is only a tool - you have to make healthy low fat limited sugar food choices - it's about eating your protien first then veggie and if any room some carb.

Ok so you don't have tons of restriction right now This is what you do - you eat your 4 oz of hard Protein (meats) then follow that with a cup of veggies with I can't beleive its not butter spary and then if you have room 1/4 cup starch and if you are still starving eat some more veggies..

Weigh and measure your foods - track your calories keep them between 800 to 1200 max - vary them daily - eat low fat - limited sugar and carbs -

Get out and get some exercise - as losing weight and maintaning it is all about calories in vs calories burned even with the band.

For me my band doesn't take away my hunger - it makes me feel fuller on a smaller amount of food - I can be phyiscally full and still want to eat (head hunger) and this head hunger manifest its self into physical hunger - and it really does take a while to figure it out what is real hunger verse head hunger

Thanks IndioGirl. I didn't mean to imply that willpower was not part of the equation. However, when I had the swelling after the surgery it sure helped tremendously with the willpower. I just want my tool and I want it to work. I guess that's why I'm so eager for an adjustment. Best of luck to you!

Well I will be one of the few people that will completely agree with you, I researched and reseached for over 3 years on the Lap Band...NOTHING prepared me for what i am going through right now...I am 5 weeks post op and i want to eat my hand. I am eating all of the right foods Im not cheating im working out and i have gained 3 lbs. I think im more hungry now then i was before i had the surgery lol. I lost 23lbs the first 3 weeks, and i too thought "damn this is great!! Im not hungry" Boy when that swelling went down was i surprised, I thought something was wrong so I posted on OH.com They too told me that i didnt fully research the Lap Band and that i came into this with false expectations. Lets just say i dont go on that forum anymore. I completely dont approve with people giving you $hitty as$ remarks over a simple question. I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone and we are def going through this together, I too wish i was told about this hell before surgery. Keep your chin up champ!

-J

SW/Current/Goal

277/257/140

Ok I gotta put this out there and I don't mean to be a smart A$$

But when you say you researched - where did you research - I have heard this from others - they did all this research and don't know what bping is or slime - it's just like you don't know what bandester hell is..

When I researched - I googled lapband - first I got obesity help website - but didn't like that so much mostly bypass pple there and then googled lapband again and found this site.. This is where I did my research - talking to pple who had 1st hand experience with what it's like to be banded -

You docs are banded for the most part they don't know what to expect - heck they most likely aren't fat - they don't understand our compulsion to eat - for most we are just money making machines for them..

I am lucky I had a great doc - with a nutritionist etc - but I can tell you what - I have more info that he does on what it's like to be banded - I think all bariactic surgeon should have actual pple who have had the procedures done talk to the pple looking into being banded - so that we can give them 1st hand knowledge..

When I went to see my doc I had a list of questions that I found here - he was impressed with my knowledge of the lapband and all that when with it..

I just don't understand when pple say they researched and they don't know common stuff..

Not too sure who you are asking here but ill chime in with what and how i researched for 3 years...

1.) ObesityHelp.com

2.) LapBandTalk.com

3.) About 1000 books

4.) Google

5.) Went to support group meetings every week for about 6 months

5.) Have friends who have had the surgery.

So I def did my research. My doctor is sick of my questions lol

Ok I gotta put this out there and I don't mean to be a smart A$$

But when you say you researched - where did you research - I have heard this from others - they did all this research and don't know what bping is or slime - it's just like you don't know what bandester hell is..

When I researched - I googled lapband - first I got obesity help website - but didn't like that so much mostly bypass pple there and then googled lapband again and found this site.. This is where I did my research - talking to pple who had 1st hand experience with what it's like to be banded -

You docs are banded for the most part they don't know what to expect - heck they most likely aren't fat - they don't understand our compulsion to eat - for most we are just money making machines for them..

I am lucky I had a great doc - with a nutritionist etc - but I can tell you what - I have more info that he does on what it's like to be banded - I think all bariactic surgeon should have actual pple who have had the procedures done talk to the pple looking into being banded - so that we can give them 1st hand knowledge..

When I went to see my doc I had a list of questions that I found here - he was impressed with my knowledge of the lapband and all that when with it..

I just don't understand when pple say they researched and they don't know common stuff..

You know what, I'm not going to defend my research any more than this last thread. If you knew me, you'd know that I thoroughly research everything. Analyzing, researching and planning is a huge part of my day job. I know how to google and I did google. I read everything I could that I thought was credible. But I will say it again, no one outside of the lapbandtalk forum talked about bandster hell. No, my doctor does not have a weight problem. But his nurse coordinator did lose 150 lbs with bariatric surgery (albiet gastric bypass). They are in the business to treat patients and not only do the surgery but to provide the support and guidance all patients need. Neither of them talked about the difficulty of this phase and they should be educated enough themselves from treating other patients to talk about this phase. They certainly covered the pre-diet and other aspects of this band well. However, they need to incorporate this into their discussions with their patients -- at the very least at the post-op appointment. Just so I'm clear, I tried calling the nurse coordinator the week I started to notice the lack of restriction -- guess what -- NO CALL BACK! I tried calling the following week -- guess what -- problem with phone lines. I get my appointment pushed back, no call backs, and feel like I've been left hanging in the wind and I'm accused on this site of, let me see:

*laying all the blame on the surgeon and taking no responsibility

*not educating myself and "jumping into this" (I spent a year considering it)

*not being aware of what I'm putting in my mouth

*being told I have unreasonable expectations but then slamming me for expecting my surgeon and baratric team of helping set reasonable expectations.

I could go on... I'm done

Not too sure who you are asking here but ill chime in with what and how i researched for 3 years...

1.) ObesityHelp.com

2.) LapBandTalk.com

3.) About 1000 books

4.) Google

5.) Went to support group meetings every week for about 6 months

5.) Have friends who have had the surgery.

So I def did my research. My doctor is sick of my questions lol

I don't understand this statement then -

NOTHING prepared me for what i am going through right now

Well I will be one of the few people that will completely agree with you, I researched and reseached for over 3 years on the Lap Band...NOTHING prepared me for what i am going through right now...I am 5 weeks post op and i want to eat my hand. I am eating all of the right foods Im not cheating im working out and i have gained 3 lbs. I think im more hungry now then i was before i had the surgery lol. I lost 23lbs the first 3 weeks, and i too thought "damn this is great!! Im not hungry" Boy when that swelling went down was i surprised, I thought something was wrong so I posted on OH.com They too told me that i didnt fully research the Lap Band and that i came into this with false expectations. Lets just say i dont go on that forum anymore. I completely dont approve with people giving you $hitty as$ remarks over a simple question. I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone and we are def going through this together, I too wish i was told about this hell before surgery. Keep your chin up champ!

-J

SW/Current/Goal

277/257/140

BoxerGirl: All I can say is thank you!

Darling take a chill pill - no one is attacking you - or at least I'm not

I guess I got good advice and knew what to expect.

When I joined lapband talk -I went to the 50's thread as I felt they were the most like me Gotta say that they had me totally prepared for the surgery - pain - the time between surgery - first fill - told me how to navigate lbt - where the food thread was how to get a ticker etc...

Hugs truly for being so frustrated - and sorry that your appointment got pushed back - When you do get to see your doctor - I would tell him all the things you have vented here about - he should know how you feel..

It will be ok - have a little patience - it will all come in due time -

Peace Out...