Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't need to do the pre-op diet?

Hi there,

I am considering getting the surgery done in Mexico at Angeles Hospital by Dr. Carvala. I filled out the hospital paperwork and got approved for the surgery. I was also told I DON'T need to follow the pre-op diet. I am not sure why this is and am considering doing the pre-op diet anyways. Was anyone else told they don't need to do the pre-op diet?

Thanks alot from a Newbie!

-Pang

Hi Pang. All I can say is that there is a lot of variation between doctors' instructions. Seems like everybody has a different approach, lol.

Hi Pang, I was banded in the States and my Doctor told me it wasn't necessary that I should enjoy my last few days of normal eating. I know each Dr. is different though.

Debe

Banded 7/22/08

have lost 62lbs

I also was not made to do a preop liquid diet. I was however made to lose 20 lbs before surgery. It was difficult but from September till the day of my surgery I was not able to cheat or have one last meal lol. But you know what I figured I rather be heading in the right direction then mourning food. I am so happy that I was able to get banded that I didnt need that last few days of eating normally.

I didn't have to do a preop diet, just couldn't gain any weight. I didn't do any major splurges either...it wasn't going to make me miss or not miss certain food later I figured what was the point.

The nurse advised that if you do do any major splurges do them well in advance of surgery. She cited someone who ate a whole cheesecake the night before sugery.

I would just in case. When they told me about shrinking the liver because of the fat and the possibility of it bleeding and causing an infection was more than enough to convince me! Good luck! :rolleyes:

My doctor does not require a pre-op diet either, and it is a well know weight loss clinic in my area and the doctors are very reputable. I can't even imagine trying to do a liquid diet BEFORE surgery, I would be starving to death!

I didnt have to do one either - at a BMI of 35 and in pretty good health, it wasnt likely I had a very enlarged fatty liver and as it so happened, my overzealous general doctor had sent me for a liver ultrasound as well as a barrage of other tests when I asked for my referral,

My surgeon said that the actual percentage of surgeries having to be cancelled due to fatty livers is very very low and that the pre op diet is a safety measure but probably not vital for most patients.

Hi everyone,

I am new on this site and I am going to be banded in just a few days in juarez, Mexico, with Dr. Natera. I am so excited but also very nervous. My BMI is 29, and they said I didn't need to do a pre-op liquid diet either because my BMI being lower then some. Any suggestions on foods and liquids to stock up on? Also how do you get the little BMI chart that everyone has on their posts?

Let me know,

Thank you

Barb:)