Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well..... I went for my first fill today with my realize band. First the dr. had to remove a stitch that didn't disolve and was being irritating. Then he said I still had Fluid around my port so he stuck me with a big syringe and extracted a whole tube full kind of like liposuction. He then proceeded to fill me with 4.5 CC. I first layed down on the table for him to find the port and stick me, then he had me sit up and while I drank some Water he keep filling me up.

My diet is liquids today and tomorrow, mushie stage until day 7 then to regular foods. I go for my 2nd fill in 4 weeks. I don't know if I have any restriction since I am only drinking liquids. I have done a Protein Shake, and 2 crystal lights without any problems.

Banded April 16th. 1st fill scheduled for May 18th and second fill on June 8th. Can't wait to hear more about people's experiences with their fills- worried about feeling as miserable after surgery (swelling) after fills.

i CANNOT WAIT to see my doctor on 5/14 for my first "potential fill," which i will most likely beg for! i've been sticking to less than 800 calories since being banded--i only went over once and had about 945. i'm not eating WHATEVER i want (because what i really want right now is a big combination pizza with extra cheeze), but i eat three meals a day and a Vitamin shake. i get at least 60-80 grams of protein/day and TRY to stay under 30-40 grams of carbs. i feel no restriction, and it's really become difficult for me to stop myself, but i continually do. i feel like once i have found my "sweet spot" (as they call it), i will be able to eat my little meals and be so so so happy that i'm not longing for more. :()

good luck to all with your first fills! keep us posted on the after-effects and what this whole "sliming" issue is like... i NEVER wanna experience that!

Not feeling a whole lot different after my first fill on the 29th.

I can still eat a Lean Cuisine meal (lunch at work) and eating normal portions (although trying to limit my intake to 1/2 cup) but everything goes down just fine, unfortunately.

However, that said, I have lost a half a pound each day since being filled. so i must be eating less than before.

But not feeling much restriction, which i was hoping for because im not that self disciplined to eat healthy ALL the time.

My Dr said if im not losing weight to make an appt for another fill in 2 weeks. I think i will make that appt, just to get more restriction, because I feel i can still eat everything in sight, and its just a matter of time, lol

but did a happy dance on the scale this morning, because, i set myself up to see a gain everytime i get on the scale, so im not disappointed if i dont lose. but was down another half pound.... yippee

I had my first fill this morning.

I don't know if it's made any difference though. Maybe restriction wise? But I am hoping for the green zone - where there is no hunger or interest in food. He said to make an appointment tomorrow if I am not there yet. I wonder how long it takes to take effect - sounds like it should do immediately? I am worried about having more time off work though - my boss was mad about me coming in late today - and the surgeon only has 9-5 appointments. I might make one for next week perhaps?

Did anyone else who had their first fill get instant relief from hunger? xx

I had my first fill this morning.

I don't know if it's made any difference though. Maybe restriction wise? But I am hoping for the green zone - where there is no hunger or interest in food. He said to make an appointment tomorrow if I am not there yet. I wonder how long it takes to take effect - sounds like it should do immediately? I am worried about having more time off work though - my boss was mad about me coming in late today - and the surgeon only has 9-5 appointments. I might make one for next week perhaps?

Did anyone else who had their first fill get instant relief from hunger? xx

I had my first fill last Thursday and feel no restriction but I am suppose to still be on mushies until Thursday. I am hoping when I go to solid food I might feel more. I am going to move my June 2 appointment up to May 26. I was starving over the weekend for some reason. First since being banded.

I have my first fill May 9th (surgery April 10th). I've been on solid food since last friday and am able to eat 10-12 oz of food before I'm full. I was told that this week of being on solid foods with no restriction that it is very common to gain weight :thumbup: and don't be too concerned if I do...it was more important for them to get an accurate idea of how much I'm able to eat in one sitting than to try and lose weight.

So, I'm am enjoying my last week without restriction, but looking forward to a more consistent weight loss. We're on our way Bunnies!!!

I went back to the doc the next day for 1cc more in my band - I think I have 5cc now - felt a bit of restriction initially - but not a considerable amount. I am drinking with my meals so that DOES NOT help, I know!!! I have an appointment for the beginning of next month, for another one but they will let me make an appointment at any time for another one - they are all free in the first month. What I don't know is what I should feel like at restriction and when I am in the "green zone" how am I meant to tell if I need a fill?????? HELP

This is from another website forum I am a member of. It speaks to Obestity Control Center patients, so some of the tips you will find not to partain to you as you won't be flying in for a fill in most cases. I was banded in Tijuana, Mexico by Dr. Ariel Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. I pulled this information from lapbandforum.com. Please note, your Dr. may advise you to do something different than what is listed on this sheet. I am posting it here because it has some great tips on it about getting a good fill. Take what you want and leave the rest behind!

I am scheduled for my 1st fill on June 1st! I am looking forward to that date you can bet your bottom dollar!

Increase Your Chances for a Good Fill

The following suggestions are good rules of thumb and will greatly increase your chances of getting a good fill.

1. Make sure you are very well hydrated when you come in for your fill appointment. That means at least 6 to 8 full glasses of liquid every day for at least several days before the fill.

(Remember, Water is your friend).

Drink especially well the morning of the fill. If you're flying in, it can be much harder to stay hydrated, so take an empty drink bottle and fill it after you pass airport security. TSA rules state you can bring an empty water bottle past the TSA security check point. Ask the flight attendants for a refill of your Water bottle if needed. They say that every hour you’re in the air, you lose 8oz of Fluid. So, If your flight is 3 hours long, your down 24oz of Fluid. So drink up!

2. Do not to have any solid foods for at least 6 hours before the fill. Don't eat a huge or late dinner the night before. If you're having any trouble (reflux, possible slip, etc) please have nothing but fluids after dinner the night before.

In some cases, food can still be in the pouch for 12 or more hours.

Any food in the pouch will make it impossible to give a good fill, or get a good fluoro.

3. Don't drink cold fluids for an hour before the fill. That will shrink your stomach and give a false fluoro reading, and a poor fill. Room temp fluids are fine.

4. Avoid getting a fill during a menstrual period or a few days before an expected one. During this time, girls are usually retaining water, and the fluoro will not be as accurate, and the fill will not be either.

5. If at all possible, hang around for at least a few hours after a fill. Don't run right back home or to the plane. It takes the normal swelling after a fill 1-2 hours to develop, and by that time you might be too tight and need to come right back.

6. If you fly in, If at all possible, stay overnight and catch a plane out the following late afternoon or evening. If you are too tight, this will allow time to get a small unfill before you leave. This is not very convenient, but sure beats having to possibly return to TJ in a few days, on short notice, in pain, and at high last-minute plane fares! This is "prevention!" Overfills are not common, but they do happen, even under the best of conditions. Be prepared, and think about this overnight stay. Test your fill the next day before you leave.

7. After a fill, please have liquids only for at least 24 hrs. This allows the stomach to rest and heal. Then, a day of soft foods, then back to regular foods. Full liquids are fine, no need for clears. Remember, if you staying over night test your fill before you fly out.

8. Review the eating and food guidelines again before every fill. You’ll need to refine your eating more and more with higher fill levels, and there will be less and less room for goofs. As you reach a higher fill level, you'll no longer be able to "get away" with things you might have before!

9. Please don't get a fill if you are having any trouble with the current level of fill. This means any regular pain, PB or barfing more than maybe once a week at the very most, not able to get enough calories in, not able to drink enough, able to eat only soft foods or fluids.

More fill will NOT help, and will make things worse. Discuss all this carefully with your doctor. You may even need an UNFILL, to keep your band and stomach safe.

10. First fills are routinely given at 6-10 weeks after surgery, but only as you need them. Many people do, some do not. Your doctor will help you decide if you need a fill, just ask. There is no rush for fills. Too much can very easily get you in trouble, and you end up further "behind" than if you had gone slower with fills.

11. Give a fill at least 2-3 weeks to test it. Some fills don't "settle in" for a week or two, and sometimes more. Your weight loss is what determines how a fill is - not any feeling of restriction, necessarily.

12. One of the most important things in determining if a fill is good is choosing proper band foods. Soft foods, liquids, junk foods, sweets, etc, will never be well-restricted, and will never tell a thing about having a good fill or not. Only solid foods give useful info.

A good test meal is 2-4 oz of solid meat or chicken - be sure it's soft and moist - and about 1/2 cup veggies. You should be able to eat about a cup of food (no less) and this should keep you satisfied for about 3-4 hrs.

13. Plan regular meals. A good fill will keep you satisfied for 3-4 hrs, but no longer. If you are hungry 5 hrs after lunch, it is not because you have an inadequate fill! Regular meals at planned times are important for a number of reasons; including avoiding snacking, maximizing your calorie burn and normalizing metabolism, which is essential for weight maintenance later on.

14. Learn to recognize your "soft stop" sign. Common ones are chest tightness or "fullness", a sudden runny nose, a single hiccup or burp, an eye twitch, back pain, left should pain. All mean the pouch is full enough and we should stop eating, even spitting out the bite that may be already in our mouths. If you do not, you could progress to the "hard stop" - slimming, pb, barfing.

Please remember that good fills are very elusive, even with highly- experienced docs and fill people. There are just too many individual factors involved that the doctors cannot control. Even the fluoro is only a clue, and not entirely accurate - for some of the reasons above.

It usually takes 3- 5 fills to slowly and safely creep up on a good level, and they can be safely given a month apart.

Trying to go faster with a bigger fill is not the solution, and the stomach rebels at big sudden fills. The goal of the first few fills is not to achieve a good restriction, but to gradually get your stomach used to some pressure so you can tolerate a good fill later.

SLOW and GRADUAL is the key!

Going slowly with fills can be frustrating, but is well worth the wait to avoid problems.

Thanks AngieB that was really good info....my first fill is 11 days away I'm anxious and nervous I'm eating less than i used to but probably more than I should. Remember those days right after surgry when we didn't want to eat and weren't hungry....ahhhhh those were the days....:glare:

Edited by JayTee562

Angie, thank you for the great info! It was very informative and answered some of my questions. I am finally scheduled for a fill but not until June 12th. At least it is on the appt. book! I am not feeling too hungry lately so I am happy about that. I drink about 40 gms of Protein in the morning and find that really holds me over for a long time. Then the rest of the day I am eating about 1/2 cup of food for my other 2 meals.

Jay tee and scoobydoo you are welcome. It is always good to share info.

My first fill is scheduled for May 28th. I was banded on April 28th and am now on the mushie stage. I find that I am hungry and I can eat more than I thought I would be able to. I have lost weight although I do not see it when looking in the mirror or putting my clothes on. My husband comes home from Iraq on June 1st and I am hoping that I will have lost a good amount of weight before then!!

Thank you all for sharing your stories. This forum has really helped me!!