Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you regret the decision to be banded?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you regret the decision to be banded?

• YES!
    • NO!

My wife and I have been going thru the insurance hassle for over a year now, and now that we both have a date and hers is coming up, she is now starting to struggle with doubts and fears. So I want to know, how many people regret the banding decision? Do you wish you had done it differently? Did you find the effort and pain are not equal to the reward?

Topher

well lucky for you your wife will be taking this journey with you. this is not a regret but it takes a lot of work, so your going through a struggle now to get the band...but a little bit of a struggle each day will persist fighting to make the right food choices. So by no means is this easy or a quick way out. But no it is certainly not a regret.

i was always gung ho on getting the band. but i think i know what you're feeling. a few days before my surgery, i thought to myself "wow, this is kind of drastic." and then i realized, hey, i've been dieting since i was 13. and it did nothing but make me heavier & heavier each year.

i think banding is the right thing to do when everything else you've tried failed.

and, statistics say that when a morbidly obese person loses weight through conventional dieting, they have only a 5% chance of keeping it off.

that was enough to make me follow through with the band.

It took me over a year for insurance approval during that time I think I was so focused on approval - I never thought about the actual operation. In the days following the operation - I had a ton of doubts - "Why did I need this" "I can do it without outit " "Why did I put myself thru it". Again I think this was mostly because I was ill-prepared for surgery and hadn't found this website.

Now - almost 9 months later and a port replacement (which meant 2 surgeries I hadnt counted on), I have no regrets are all. It's not a cure all but it works if you are willing to make changes.

I have no regrets! I have been missing sodas and Pasta but I feel with more time that will go away. I had to pay $11,000 for my surgery and feel it was worth every penny!

No regrets at all! The surgery itself does shake alot of people up, especially if they've never had surgery or anesthesia before. But it really isn't a big deal, a very short surgery. I walked out of the surgery center on my own if that tells you anything. But it's normal to have those doubts and such close to time for surgery (any surgery). But think about it: how successfully have you lost weight AND kept it off in the past? The answer is NOT. The band will make it different and that's why I have no regrets. I've lost almost 50 pounds now and I would never have lost it this easily on my own. And pretty much everybody else on here will say the same thing. If there are negative responses, read why before you take it as a reason. Those reasons may be very individualized. I don't discount the value of the responses, but please read deeply enough to know whether they apply to your situation.

NO REGRETS HERE! Wish I had done this four years ago! Banded on March 12th, 09...-40 pounds today. Health is back to normal b/p and blood sugar and soon to be off bipap and nightly oxygen! I can climb stairs today and keep a walkin'!!! YEEHAW!!! Ya'll go git ur dun!!!

My ten month bandiversary will by on the 17th. Never regrets and have been blessed with the ideal band experience. Just make sure your head his wrapped around what you are in for. Start now with changing your eating habits. Good luck

Well without getting the band I would never have realized that getting gastric bypass was the better answer for me! I wish you and your wife good luck and health.

NO REGRETS WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would do it a million times over again!!!!!!!!!!!! the best decision i've made!!!!!!!!!!!

I am soon having my one year bandiversary ,and I would do it again.I paid for my own and have never regretted it.But just know it is not for everybody,if you think you just get the band and it does all the work you best think again.If you are looking for something you don't have to work hard at maybe you should get the gastric or the sleeve.But if you are willing to do the work then you will not have any regrets.

I have absolutely no regrets. I lost 100% of my excess in less than a years time. It was the best decision I ever made and worth every penny as a self pay patient.

My wife and I have been going thru the insurance hassle for over a year now, and now that we both have a date and hers is coming up, she is now starting to struggle with doubts and fears. So I want to know, how many people regret the banding decision? Do you wish you had done it differently? Did you find the effort and pain are not equal to the reward?

Topher

i was banded the same day as my husband - it made the process that much easier, that said our journey was completely different.

he required 3 fills & hasn't looked back.....me i needed 8 & many more tweeks up/down in fills, over the last yr. i also had a port infection that was healed properly - however it's a constant annoyance with it protruding the way it does.

i would have elected a different surgery, DH has zero regrets and would have done nothing differently.

great to do it as a team - surgery type is a bit more tricky of a question or none at all.

good luck to you.

Thank you for starting this thread/poll. I too am getting banded next month and have been going thru the doubt phase. Wondering, "do I really need this?" etc...

But I know down deep that if I didn't need it, I would be a size 6 by now.. I've been dieting since 7th grade and now I am going to get the tool to assist me change my habits for good.

I have NO REGRETS WHATSOEVER..... Unless it would be that I DIDN'T DO IT SOONER! I have spent the last 20 years battling this weight, and I mean WORKING ON IT.. not just BEING FAT! I know I am finally on the right path, but it is not a quick fix by any means! Still have to work at it, but I am not hungry all the time like I was before! Keep on Keepin' on! Good luck and God Bless!