Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Victorious Valentines - Feb. 08 - MASTER THREAD!

Well, I'm no longer "Rhapsody", I decided to change my name to the "real thing", lol. I (usually) only post in this forum, and I feel all the ladies here are such good friends, I'd like to be known as just Lori :cool:

I will be keeping my motto, "just keep swimming!"

I've been a bad girl again, this weekend I went back up those two dreaded ponds. :) I honestly have to learn to control my eating at parties, but the dang cake and ice cream look so good! Not to mention chip and dip, plus too much wine. Loads of empty calories there! So I'm back on some serious plan this week - I need to kick those two pounds to the curb for good.

let's keep swimming all!

My time today was 32:08, which is my best so far and I'm happy with it.

But I'm sick of coming in almost last of the runners. I need to kick it up a notch. LOL

Angie, your time for 5k is awesome! Congratz to you! I wish I could do 5K so fast. Please don't worry about the other runners! At least you're out there running! That's what is important. In my book, that makes you the biggest winner! Just my humble advice :) I admire you for doing those 5K runs!

Here are the pictures. (longer hair is January, shorter is May)

I didn't include the bottom half because it hasn't changed much. My calves need to change, but really haven't much at all.

I know the name of the first picture says it's October, but I just mistyped it. It was January.

Melissa, I think your second picture looks great! I can't see sagging, your face is thinner, but you look beautiful to me. You are truly an inspiration too! :)

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been around much. I know I really need to post here at least daily. I need the support and I feel bad that I'm not supporting you guys too. I go from being good and losing a pound or two to being horrible and eating way too many Cookies and too much ice cream. I have been getting back to exercising regularly. I think I did some exercise at least 5 days out of the last 7. At least I can be proud of that. Mostly I'm just in a funk. It started on Mother's Day and is starting to let up though I cried a bit today.

Even as I post this I'm sitting here eating a brownie after finishing a Boston Market Pot Pie. I can't seem to get myself under control and don't know what it's going to take to do it. I know a big part of my problem started when my husband became bed bound. I lost my support system then. I could sneak out and eat bad things and he wouldn't know. Now he's gone and I know he'd be so mad at me for treating myself so badly. It was never about the weight with him. He loved me any way I was. He just wanted me to succeed in the things that were important to me and be healthy. Now I fight the "What's the point?" feelings all the time. Hard to believe I'm already on anti-depressants eh? I'm really not as down as I sound I just have moments here and there and now happens to be one of them. Tomorrow I promise I'll be perkier. And yes, I'll be back to post tomorrow. Thank you Tap for dragging me out of my self-pity. Hugs to you.

Awww, Ezma ((((Big Warm Hugs)))) to you. Please don't worry about "self-pity", I think after all you've been through, you're entitled to some! Those ups and downs are a part of healing. I'm glad you came here for some support. I didn't know your husband of course, but somehow I don't think he would be "mad at you", but instead be understanding and compassionate. And you should be proud for the exercise you are doing! Just take small steps like that every day, and be proud of them, concentrate on the good things you are doing right now. You have so much more strength than I would ever have. The anti-depressants are a good thing, I hope they will help lift you up and out of the times you are feeling down. Plus having girlfriends who care to chat with! You will succeed! :smile:

Thanks for your excellent post for all those wonderful drinks! Complete with pictures even :cool: I'm gonna print those, I could really use them. Lower calorie foods and drinks for celebrating are something I need to learn :)

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been around much. I know I really need to post here at least daily. I need the support and I feel bad that I'm not supporting you guys too. I go from being good and losing a pound or two to being horrible and eating way too many Cookies and too much ice cream. I have been getting back to exercising regularly. I think I did some exercise at least 5 days out of the last 7. At least I can be proud of that. Mostly I'm just in a funk. It started on Mother's Day and is starting to let up though I cried a bit today.

Even as I post this I'm sitting here eating a brownie after finishing a Boston Market Pot Pie. I can't seem to get myself under control and don't know what it's going to take to do it. I know a big part of my problem started when my husband became bed bound. I lost my support system then. I could sneak out and eat bad things and he wouldn't know. Now he's gone and I know he'd be so mad at me for treating myself so badly. It was never about the weight with him. He loved me any way I was. He just wanted me to succeed in the things that were important to me and be healthy. Now I fight the "What's the point?" feelings all the time. Hard to believe I'm already on anti-depressants eh? I'm really not as down as I sound I just have moments here and there and now happens to be one of them. Tomorrow I promise I'll be perkier. And yes, I'll be back to post tomorrow. Thank you Tap for dragging me out of my self-pity. Hugs to you.

((((Ezma)))) I can relate to all of this. I am just so depressed and even though I know I need to stop eating and lose weight, I can't make myself do it. food is comfort to me. I was at my surgeon's support group this week and they are now bringing in a psychotherapist to run the group. She said that it makes sense that we try to fill our emptiness with food during grief. I also tell myself that my daughter wouldn't want me to do this to myself and she loves me and wants me to be okay. I have a few good days, drop a couple of pounds, then start eating too much and go back up. I'm not sure what will help at this point. It makes me feel even worse to watch my weight go back up. :party:

Thanks Rhap/Lori. It really helped to hear you say to be proud of the small steps and focus on them. The negative will not get me anywhere.

Jaime - I do understand what you're talking about. I am in the grasp of a horrible carb addiction. I think the only thing that is gonna break it is to do either my pre-op diet, south beach or just be really strict about bad carbs until I can get the cravings out of my system. You'd think that the horrid way they make me feel would be enough to get rid of them but "Noooooo" my body is still saying "More!".

How are the rest of you guys doing? Gonna try to get back on a schedule and hopefully that will help. That includes checking this site first thing in the morning with my coffee. See ya then.

I've always been real sensitive with the fills, I get heartburn and reflux if the band gets too tight. I'm hoping my surgeon will give me just a quarter of a cc . . . I'll havta wait and see what he says. I get the feeling he doesn't want me to lose much more - my body scan says my weight should be around 167. Blah. The body scan doesn't know a thing about women's sizes, LOL! :party: I'm still about a size 12, I'd like to get comfortably into a size 10. I'm not too far away from it.

What is a body scan? At the clinic I attend, they do the full assessment - % fat, bone density etc, and then it spits out a weight range. My doc wants me to be on the 'low side' of the range...I used to aim for that, but I am beginning to think my body just wants to be in the middle...I'm fighting it!!

I'm amazed at my stamina this time around. I haven't had to sit down once because of physical fatigue. Mental, yeah, but I'm hanging in there physically. So grateful.

My husband weighed more than me yesterday morning for weigh-in. Yay for that! First time since I met him that I've weighed less than him.

We took some progress pictures and I think my face is starting to look too thin.

How's the unpacking going now, Shiny?

What a great achievement - weighing less than your husband for the first time! YAY you!

I think both your pics show a beautiful woman. But we all know, it is what YOU feel that is the main thing. So, give yourself some time to adjust to the thinner you, and then decide what makes you the most happy.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I know I really need to post here at least daily. I need the support and I feel bad that I'm not supporting you guys too. I go from being good and losing a pound or two to being horrible and eating way too many Cookies and too much ice cream. I have been getting back to exercising regularly. I think I did some exercise at least 5 days out of the last 7. At least I can be proud of that. Mostly I'm just in a funk.

Even as I post this I'm sitting here eating a brownie after finishing a Boston Market Pot Pie. I can't seem to get myself under control and don't know what it's going to take to do it. I know a big part of my problem started when my husband became bed bound. Now he's gone and I know he'd be so mad at me for treating myself so badly. It was never about the weight with him. He loved me any way I was. He just wanted me to succeed in the things that were important to me and be healthy. Now I fight the "What's the point?" feelings all the time.

Ezma - for heaven's ske, there is no need to apologize to anyone - you have been dealt a life-changing terrible blow. You will of course have ups and downs, and we all know what affect our mood has on our appetite. It is perfectly understandable, and I doubt very much if your DH would be MAD at you - concerned, yes. Mad, no. So, try to keep at the physical activity, and when you can, think twice before having that cookie, or brownie or icecream. But don't beat yourself up over it if you do indulge. Forgive yourself, and try again.

((((HUGS)))))

My time today was 32:08, which is my best so far and I'm happy with it.

But I'm sick of coming in almost last of the runners. I need to kick it up a notch. LOL

Angie - what will be your strategy for 'kicking it up a notch' - more training or what? Were you previously a runner and/or athlete? Im just curious to know if this running is a side-effect (in which case it is one I wish I would get), or if you always were athletic.

Well, I'm no longer "Rhapsody", I decided to change my name to the "real thing", lol. I feel all the ladies here are such good friends, I'd like to be known as just Lori :smile:

I've been a bad girl again, this weekend I went back up those two dreaded ponds. :tt2: I honestly have to learn to control my eating at parties, but the dang cake and ice cream look so good! Not to mention chip and dip, plus too much wine. So I'm back on some serious plan this week - I need to kick those two pounds to the curb for good.

let's keep swimming all!

Glub glub - I'm swimming behind you Lori!!

You had a wonderful birthday party (how did the cake your niece do turn out?), celebrated another year with family and friends...no need to say you've been 'bad'...you are human! But now, it is Monday of a new week and a new month...time to get back on the band-track!

I think after all you've been through, you're entitled to some! Those ups and downs are a part of healing. I'm glad you came here for some support. And you should be proud for the exercise you are doing! Just take small steps like that every day, and be proud of them, concentrate on the good things you are doing right now.

Thanks for your excellent post for all those wonderful drinks! Complete with pictures even :thumbup: I'm gonna print those, I could really use them.

What she said!!!

I am just so depressed and even though I know I need to stop eating and lose weight, I can't make myself do it. food is comfort to me. I was at my surgeon's support group this week and they are now bringing in a psychotherapist to run the group. She said that it makes sense that we try to fill our emptiness with food during grief. I also tell myself that my daughter wouldn't want me to do this to myself and she loves me and wants me to be okay. I have a few good days, drop a couple of pounds, then start eating too much and go back up.

(((HUGS Jamie)))

I do hope that the psychotherapist will be a good resource for you Jamie. Your loss is still very fresh, and the pain is not going to just disappear on a schedule. You will heal at the rate you can...just try to take the best care of yourself that you can while you continue through the grieving and healing. And don't focus on the number of pounds lost or gained...focus ONLY on being good to yourself.

I am in the grasp of a horrible carb addiction. You'd think that the horrid way they make me feel would be enough to get rid of them but "Noooooo" my body is still saying "More!".

There are many of us who can relate to that, Ezma. Why oh why do we love what is bad for us? Me and my nut addiction....I swear if someone brought in a tractor trailer of almonds or cashews or peanuts, I would open the doors, and start eating and not stop until they were gone!!! I haven't had a nut in a while, and I fight the fight daily.

OKAY everyone - it is Monday. And, it is JUNE!!! Whoo hoo - summer!!!

Let's get our positive energies flowing, catch a few rays (if you are suitable protected of course!) and regroup and refocus!

We can do this; we are stronger than our cravings!

Okay, first baby step of the day accomplished. I'm here, reading and posting. Yay!!

Haven't decided what kind of exercise I'm gonna do today yet. My mom didn't walk today and by the time I woke up I would have had to rush to meet my dad. Oh well, there's always my workout tape or swimming.

Can't believe it's already June. We're going to California the end of this week. Still trying to figure out how we're gonna get my husband's ashes in the ocean. The family thought the knew of a couple of boats but they both fell through. I've been doing some pricing of those companies that do it. We also might just have the Navy do it. Only draw back to that is that we can't be there when it's done but it's free.

Gotta plan something good and healthy for dinner. I plan to cook but it's gotta be easy or I'll blow it off for fast food.< /p>

How are you guys doing today?

Hi All

Not alot happening here and especially not any exercise. I had been going to curves 3/4 times a week but the last 6 weeks I haven't been at all. This was because my band was too tight I wasn't getting enough of anything and was exhausted by 4pm. I'm alot better now although I need another tiny unfill.

Ezma

I was sorry to hear about your hubbie passing.My thoughts are with you. I'm glad you have some good days.

Angie

Power to you girl.

Shiny

I've moved 8 times in 12 years, although I've been told NO MORE. i enjoy setting up the new place and keeps me out of the fridge.

You look great in both piccies but I do like the shorter hair.< /p>

Lori

Love that you are you.

Nicole

Okay, first baby step of the day accomplished. I'm here, reading and posting. Yay!!

Can't believe it's already June. We're going to California the end of this week. Still trying to figure out how we're gonna get my husband's ashes in the ocean. We also might just have the Navy do it. Only draw back to that is that we can't be there when it's done but it's free.

Hi Ezma - reading and posting - YAY!!!

I hope you find a way to commit your husband's ashes Ezma. The navy ceremony would be very fitting, and certainly they would show his remains the proper respect. It is unfortunate though that it would be a private event. Good luck.

P.S. No fast food for dinner!

Hi All

Not alot happening here and especially not any exercise. I had been going to curves 3/4 times a week but the last 6 weeks I haven't been at all. This was because my band was too tight I wasn't getting enough of anything and was exhausted by 4pm. I'm alot better now although I need another tiny unfill.

Shiny -I've moved 8 times in 12 years, although I've been told NO MORE. i enjoy setting up the new place and keeps me out of the fridge.

Nicole

Nicole - glad to hear you are better, and get that unfill if it is needed!!!

WOW - all the moving you have done Nicole - you are a match to me! With every move I say 'no more until retirement'...but who knows!

PS. I have 3 sets of friends who live in Alberta - 2 in Airdrie, 1 in Calgary. Haven't made it to Okotok yet.

Um no definitely not always been athletic. I did the couch to 5k (I started last year, but then got a stress fracture in my leg from either that or soccer or the combination and had to take a couple months off. Then I restarted in Feb of this year.) and just am going from there.

My plan at this point is just more and more running. I'm reluctant to add any speed training since I still have a bunch of weight to lose and I'd rather run slow then get injured.

We'll see what happens.

It sounds like I'm not the only one in a slump. Silly me, I thought I was all alone. It's been one of those weeks with lots of chocolate and ice cream hanging around as we say goodbye and hello to the folks in the office who are leaving and coming. I have been actively giving chocolate bars to anyone I see just so I won't eat them. I have no self control where chocolate and ice cream are concerned, and it goes through my band quite nicely. UGHHHHH! And everyone always puts the leftovers on my desk for people to help themselves too, double UGHHHH!!

Today I actually left the office and walked two miles at lunch. Working on a college campus makes the track quite handy and ony 1/4 mile away. I enjoyed watching the little kids at their soccer camp and the sunshine felt good but it was hot out there. I stuck it out for the full six laps and then walked the quarter mile back to the office. I'm having trouble getting motivated to walk this summer. I've got to get going or I won't be ready for the 5K I'm doing in September. I'm off to Curves tonight so today will be a good exercise day.

Thanks for listening. I love you all!

What is a body scan? At the clinic I attend, they do the full assessment - % fat, bone density etc, and then it spits out a weight range. My doc wants me to be on the 'low side' of the range...I used to aim for that, but I am beginning to think my body just wants to be in the middle...I'm fighting it!!

It sounds like your clinic is doing the same thing - when you get the %fat, bone density, etc, they do a scan (like an x-ray or CT scan) of your body, right? I think it's more accurately called a Body Composition Scan. It measures the ratio of lean body mass to fat body mass (as well as other diagnostics, like bone density). It more accurate than the scale or BMI. I was told that my percentage should be below 35% - and at 167 pounds, I was at 35%. Since I weigh less now, I'm not sure what my percentage is. Maybe I'll have another scan done.

Glub glub - I'm swimming behind you Lori!!

No swimming behind! :wink: swim alongside, I need your company!!! :smile:

You had a wonderful birthday party (how did the cake your niece do turn out?), celebrated another year with family and friends...no need to say you've been 'bad'...you are human! But now, it is Monday of a new week and a new month...time to get back on the band-track!

True, I did have fun, but just feel so bad for so many days of fun, lol . . . I could have celebrated without shoving so much carb junk in. :( Ah well. I did have to eat some of the cake my niece made! I'll dig out my camera and get a picture up.

You are right, an all new start begins today, Monday of a new week and a new month! Back on track!

We can do this; we are stronger than our cravings!

Thanks for this Tap, I needed to remember it! When I started this journey, that was my mindset. I need it back now!

June is no junk month! lol :w00t:

Hey hay hayyy!!

So my weekend was much of the same... BUSY! I never have time to do anything fun, but yet I always seem to have a great time no matter what I do. There just simply is not enough hours in the day. I even slept 10 hours Saturday night! Wow!! I need that sometimes since I get up at ten to four during the work week. Yes that's right 3:50 am! Shhheah! So early...

Sounds like alot of us have a few struggles here and there going on, which I'd like to steer you the VV's June Challenge. You can challenge yourself to whatever you like. I've already done good today for my exercising, but I failed to bring my slimfasts to work (nice for day one!) so I had some oatmeal for Breakfast and a ham sandwhich (dry) for lunch. That was a tough one. Dry sandwhiches are no fun to eat.

I did however walk my two miles for the day. Now I just have to do my calisthenics and aerobics. Here's the kicker... I don't have any aerobics DVD's yet!! Got to stop off at Target to get one before heading home.

I am going to DMV to update my new address and take a new picture on my ID card. Then I'll do the same again on the 26th for my DL. I have to have at least one at a time! I suddenly realized I look NOTHING like I did then... wow - what a difference.

Maybe I'll scan it and show you all what I mean, its way different.

Lori, here are what I mean by Slim Shots. They actually work!

https://www.slimshots.com/ver11/index.asp

Now I mostly use them because that plus the band and I never feel hungry. It does nothing for head hunger however... LOL!! ;o)

I did the couch to 5k and just am going from there.

My plan at this point is just more and more running. I'm reluctant to add any speed training since I still have a bunch of weight to lose and I'd rather run slow then get injured.

Angie - More and more running - you and Shiny sound like a pair. I just cannot for the life of me see the 'fun' in it, but hey, whatever works for you is great.

It sounds like I'm not the only one in a slump. I have no self control where chocolate and ice cream are concerned, and it goes through my band quite nicely. UGHHHHH! And everyone always puts the leftovers on my desk for people to help themselves too, double UGHHHH!!

Today I walked two miles at lunch. I'm having trouble getting motivated to walk this summer. I've got to get going or I won't be ready for the 5K I'm doing in September. I'm off to Curves tonight so today will be a good exercise day.

St Louis gal - you are NOT alone. Isn't it amazing/frustrating how those things we shouldn't eat find a way to be easily consumed whereas other things give us grief!?:frown:

YAY on your walk at lunchtime...keep it up. Being that close to a track is great for a lunchtime break - although going back to work if sweaty is NEVER nice!

And you are planning to do a 5K??? That is fabulous! Why do I think I will be the only NON-5Ker of the VVs???

I was told that my percentage should be below 35% - and at 167 pounds, I was at 35%. Since I weigh less now, I'm not sure what my percentage is. Maybe I'll have another scan done.

just feel so bad for so many days of fun, lol . . . I could have celebrated without shoving so much carb junk in.

June is no junk month! :welldone2:

Lori - Isn't it weird how everyone's doc has different goals for them? And the combinations of height/weight and dress sizes have me bewildered beyond belief! It is not a competion for me, but I always look at the heights/weights/dress sizes that some people post and I just dont get it....how can someone (for example) be shorter than I am, weigh the same and be 4 dress sizes smaller??? ARGHHH!!!

Sounds like alot of us have a few struggles here and there going on, which I'd like to steer you the VV's June Challenge. You can challenge yourself to whatever you like. I've already done good today for my exercising, but I failed to bring my slimfasts to work (nice for day one!) so I had some oatmeal for Breakfast and a ham sandwhich (dry) for lunch. That was a tough one. Dry sandwhiches are no fun to eat.

I did however walk my two miles for the day. Now I just have to do my calisthenics and aerobics. Here's the kicker... I don't have any aerobics DVD's yet!! Got to stop off at Target to get one before heading home.

Maybe I'll scan it and show you all what I mean, its way different.

Thanks for the challenge thread LilMiss...I think I will TRY the no nuts and no nightime snacking for the month...

Walking plus calisthenics plus aerobics.....you are one active woman!!! I'm tired just reading about it!

OK everyone - it is Tuesday, and another day to be strong!

Yesterday my food intake was fine but my exercise was nil...I didn't hit the Y, and I didn't walk home from work (t-storms put an end to that idea). Today, more rain. I have a meeting after work, so I just have to get something in today....

I am going on a business trip next week and am HATING the thought of it...7 days of meetings from 800 to 4, then dinners every evening. What are the chances I will get through that week without having some non-good food choices?? And stick to portion sizes??? I've gotta be extra good this week to help offset what will probably be a difficult time! And where am I going to fit some type of exercise in??