Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegas Mom trying to decide if LB is right. Worried about complications.

Hello there. I am 30 yrs old, 5'8" 255 pounds and have 3 children. Have done WW, Personal Trainer, WW again, and even tried Symlin shots for weight loss. I am at the point where I only feel my full happiness will come when I can walked proudly into a playdate, birthday party, etc., without feeling like the Heftiest Honey around. I have had gall bladder removed and 2 c-sections where I do not tolerate anesthesia well. I am afraid of...well basically dying on the table, and someone having to tell my children that I was too vain to accept myself the way I was. HELP!!! I need advice and maybe some reality checks.:smile:

Hi. I can only tell you about some of the things that I considered when making my decision to have lapband surgery. Although I too thought about walking into a room and not being the heaviest person there, shopping in the regular size section of a clothing store, and looking in the mirror and liking what I see, my health was what I thought about most. I did not feel good, could not do the things I wanted to do, had high blood pressure, and even worried about dying. I knew if I didn't do something about all the extra weight I was carrying these issues were only going to get worse. I had tried so many diets that I knew I needed to do something more. After doing lots of research and soul searching, I KNEW the lapband was right for me. I'm sure all of us who have had the surgery were worried before we actually had it done. Worried about complications and worried that this might not be the tool that will get us where we want to be. Now almost 7 months after my surgery, I am soooooo happy that I made the decision to get the band. I feel so much better, I have so much more energy, I am off of my blood pressure meds, and..... I look better too!! Lastly.... I didn't want to die from complications caused by morbid obesity and have someone tell my child that I was too scared to try something that could have saved my life. Making the decision to get a band placed inside you and adopting the new lifestyle that it takes to make it work are not easy things to do. Only you can decide if it is best for you. I wish you the best of luck. Take care. Becky

Thank you so much for your reply. I too have thought about the health issues too. I feel bad telling my kids that I have to take a break due to my heavy breathing or back pain. I am hoping that after attending the seminar, I will have more questions answered and maybe feel more confident in making a decision that is right for my family and I. :smile:

Hi Vegas Mom... I feel ya 100%. It took alot for me to go through all of this and honestly i would not take it back for a million bucks right now.

I live in Vegas as well so if you ever need someone local to chat with please do let me know.

Vegas mom Hello there from Texas. I want you to know that i had lap band 2 weeks ago and i am so happy. i feel better everyday and feel like going and going. It is amaizing. it was a long hall for me. I started in Sept. got new insuance in Jan and got approved in early March. Had Surgery the 23 of Jan. I have lost about 14 lbs in 2 weeks. It is truly amaizing.

Vegas Mom,

I had similar fears. I had problems with my anethsia during my gallbladder surgery and slight recovery problems when I had my c-section for delivery of my now 6 year old twins.

I made sure I talked to the anesthiologist(can't seem to spell today) who would be in the OR with me before my surgery. He really made me feel comfortable, and I felt better knowing that he knew my issues.

I did find myself preparing some of my personal business in the event I didn't come home from surgery! This was not all bad, as things are in order - our will is updated, my papers in order, etc. It also made me appreciate everyone at home when I did come home the next day!

My recovery was easy - I was walking the night of surgery and really recovered with NO issues.

I feel great now, my surgery was 1/12/09. I have lost 32 lbs and am now running up to 6 miles a day! My children and husband have a healthier, happy mommy, although my weight didn't really get in my way of playdates, etc. I am feeling a lot better at all events, and know that it is only going to get better!

Good luck with your decision! I am SO glad I took the risk!

You are a great inspiration Working mom. I did alot of the same things. Preparing for the worst and praying for the best. Seems as if my prayers were answered. Good luck to all who read this and weigh less everyday.

Working Mom got it right. You need to discuss the complications you experienced when you talk to the anesthesiologist. Sometimes, all it takes is a different anesthesia (there are quite a few to choose from). The actualy complication rate is .01% for lap band (as opposed to a whopping 10% for bypass). You're out for less than an hour usually (I was out for 40 minutes total). With proper planning, you should wake up feeling sleepy but well.

If you bring any complications that you have had in the past to light with the surgeons ahead of time they will be equipped with the proper knowledge to safely perform the procedure.

I took into account how fast I was heading for death from morbid obesity. I was 271... Someone would of had to tell my 2 kids in probably 10 years or so that mommy died from obesity and heart disease..

I chose surgery and I couldn't be happier. Now I can play softball and volleyball with my 16 year old daughter and keep up. I am the cool mom on the block that goes out to the field and plays in their games. I wouldn't trade it for the world now.

I am in Vegas also and I am very happy with my choice of lap band. I, as many others, thought about my health...it seemed every doctors appt. was something new popping up. I also thought of quality of life....as a heavy person I felt I was missing out because I would tire so easily or just not want to do anything because of my size. Talk to you doctor and I am sure they can help aleviate some of the fears....or at least put your mind at ease a bit.

I want to thank all of you for your kind words and advice. I think I am just fearful of the unknown, but on the other hand I am fearful of what I know...i will die of heart disease, morbid obesity (god I hate that term), or some other random weight related issue. I am going to a seminar on April 22, 2009. Are there any specific questions that I should ask?