Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should restriction feel like??

:eek: Would someone please tell me what true "restriction" feels like? I was banded in February and have had two fills. I sometimes feel like I have some restriction, but still seem to be able to eat quite a lot. I don't want to get too tight, but I want to use this tool the way it should be used.........please help me determine what this feeling should be. Thanks!

:eek: Would someone please tell me what true "restriction" feels like? I was banded in February and have had two fills. I sometimes feel like I have some restriction, but still seem to be able to eat quite a lot. I don't want to get too tight, but I want to use this tool the way it should be used.........please help me determine what this feeling should be. Thanks!

After I got my second fill, I was trying to figure out if I had restriction. I could still eat a pretty full meal. For example, one pork chop, some corn, and half a slice of cornbread. I could still eat at a normal pace. I could eat a sandwich.:w00t: So, I called my doc bc I felt like I needed a third fill. My first fill was 4ccs, my second was 1.5.

I went in and shared all my info with my doc and he said it sounded like I hadnt got restriction yet, and he gave me 1cc more.

Now my friend, I have restriction! Here is the difference (for me):

If I pop a few animal crackers, one popcorn chicken, half a steak fry...it gets stuck. Not only does it get stuck, but it doesnt go down. I either PB or throw it up.:wink:

I have to eat small bites vs regular bites. If I dont, it gets stuck.

When I do eat slow, I can still eat a whole chicken breast with some black Beans, but I am full and dont really crave food for a good amount of time. For example, I ate that for dinner last night around 6 and didnt even think about snacking after.

I still can drink Water like normal. I dont have to sip.

Things like yogurt dont "feel me up" or keep me full for very longer (slider food).

I wouldnt want to be tighter bc I dont think solid food would go down.

Does that help at all?

Hi when you first start getting your fills depending on how much the doctor fills you with you are restricted but it's not drastic, but know that you do have the restriction. Pay attention and compare on how you use to eat in the past vs how much you can eat now. Sometimes I feel like I'm not on restriction but I know that I do have one, (e.g. instead of eating a whole sub sandwich, french fries and a drink) like I use to do now I only eat 1/2 a sandwich a couple of fries and some ice cubes, (I can still eat what I want, I don't feel deprived), but over all I've learn that the band is just a tool and you have change your relationship with food (learn to choose the right food) get active and you will see the change. Don't be discourage just change your food diet and get active.

You are not restricted. I have restriction and I could not possibly eat a sandwich. I wouldn't even try it. I might be able to eat the meat off of the sandwich if it is not too much. I can't eat fries at all. If you can eat anything that resembles a whole meal (i.e. sandwich and fries) you are not restricted.

I was wondering the same thing. I was banded in Feb. and had my first fill 2 wks ago. I can still eat things ok but the first few bites usually feel stuck, but once they go down it's usually ok. I can't eat as much as before but I feel like I am still eating too much.

I have my 2nd fill in 1 wk. My surgeon added 3cc during surgery and my 1st fill was 2cc more.

Edited by mynewlife09

Thanks so much for all the replies.....I can always count on getting the information I am looking for! I cannot eat anywhere near what I used to, not by a long shot! I am not snacking, and my meals are holding me about 4 hours. I mentioned that I had my last fill a week ago this past Friday, each day seems I may be getting tighter....is that possible?? Think I should wait another few days before going back in for another fill....do y'all agree??

Thanks......:(

It is very possible to get tighter up to two weeks after a fill. Some are tight immediately and loosen up. Others seem to feel nothing and then gradually get tighter over the next several days.

At my surgeon's office, they say we have good restriction if we can eat a bandster meal (3-4 oz lean Protein + 1/2 cup veggies) and that lasts us 4+ hours before we start getting hungry.

So, based on what you said, then it sounds like you're just fine, as long as you're able to choose the right foods and be satisfied.

Some people like to run tighter and feel their restriction more. My doc's office likes us to think of restriction as an absence of hunger rather than a feeling of tightness. When you FEEL tight, you're at a higher risk of getting stuck.

The band doesn't have to be TIGHT to help you do your job. Just tight enough to help you not feel hungry all day long. If you're losing weight, I say wait! Ride it 'til the wheels fall off!

Best of luck!

Edited by Pnw_Red

With all respect I would like to correct you in response stating that I am not restricted. I do have some restriction I can tell in my portion size instead of eating the whole plate like I use to, I now can only eat half. I do not want my band so tight till where I can't even drink Water or eating a slice of meat without getting sick. And that's the testimony that I hear from some people. I also will like the state that I'm right on target, I am losing my 2-3 pounds a week as expected. Remember the band is a tool, we must still practice discipline. So my dear I do have some restrictions, it's just not super tight. I just had my second fill 3/17/09 and up till this date I have lost 6 pounds.

Thanks so much for all the replies.....I can always count on getting the information I am looking for! I cannot eat anywhere near what I used to, not by a long shot! I am not snacking, and my meals are holding me about 4 hours. I mentioned that I had my last fill a week ago this past Friday, each day seems I may be getting tighter....is that possible?? Think I should wait another few days before going back in for another fill....do y'all agree??

Thanks......:blink:

Good4me,I personally just experienced getting tighter restriction after 2 weeks from my last fill.It's crazy it kinda snuck up on me! Dont get me wrong restriction is the name of the game but it surprised me.:( I'm hoping to see that scale moving again!!

I have to confess, I'm confused as to what I should be feeling too. My weight loss is very good (52 lbs. since 12/1/08), but I almost always feel as if I could just eat and eat. I DO watch my portions and make careful food choices. I keep a daily log of what I eat and exercise at least 4 times a week as well, all of which, I'm sure, contributes to the weight loss.

Basically, what I'm saying, is I'm not sure if I really "feel" the band.

When I had my first fill last month, I could feel a slight "catch" in my throat when I drank a cup of Water. The Water seemed to hang there a moment and then I felt it slide down. The Dr. seemed satisfied that I was feeling as I should and sent me on my way. That feeling lasted for about a week or so and then completely went away. I could eat anything without any problem. I've never had any nausea, vomiting, PB'ing, or the sensation that something was stuck. Either I'm doing eveything very, very right, or I'm missing something.

All that being said, I had a second fill yesterday. The Dr. was reluctant to give me one as I had lost 8 lbs. since the last fill and he felt that was excellent. After much discussion, he agreed to a fill as I was so unsure wether or not I really was feeling restriction. He wanted to prove a point to me, so he gave me a greater fill than I needed and had me drink. Well, I certainly felt that and it hurt! The water entered the pouch and went nowhere. He quickly drew out some saline and I felt it all release and the pain went away. He re-adjusted the fill and settled at an additional 1.6 cc.'s for a total of 4.6 cc.'s in a 10 cc. band.

He sat me down and told me that sensation I just had was what I would feel if I overate or if I had something get stuck (or , obviously had an overfill). It was not the way I should ever feel when I ate or drank. "Feeling the band" meant I should be comfortably full (i.e. satisfied) after about 2 oz. of Protein with 1/2 cup of veggies or other sides. It doesn't mean I should feel "clamped down" or tight. He also told me to be patient. My weight loss so far is ahead of the curve and I'm doing very well.

I think I do understand better what he means by restriction. I certainly don't think I'll need (or want) another object lesson again, although I AM glad for the demonstration. At least I know, for a certainty, what I shouldn't feel.

Cathy - Your post just helped me so much, thank you! I too felt like I didn't really have the band in me, even though I know that I can't eat as much, but really thought it was all in my head because I never had the "sliming" experience or uncomfortableness UNTIL today! I just had my 2nd fill on Tuesday so today was my first day of solid food since my fill, and I just couldn't get it down, it was sooooo uncomfortable! I was in a restaurant with some of my girlfriends (Who do not know about my band!) And had to excuse myself like 3 times and it was so gross and slimy, I mean what is that that comes up? Please tell me I am not throwing up the saline and now I have nothing in my band! I am so scared to eat again now, please someone tell me it was normal and I should be able to eat again and NOT throw up.

I'm glad I was able to help, sherrydarlin. Let me try to set your mind at ease again. You have not emptied your band. The slime is NOT the saline from your band. I can't tell you precisely what it is, although I suspect it's a combination of saliva and other digestive juices, but the sliming seems to happen when something gets stuck going down. If you can't get solid food down, try liquids again for a day and then go back to solids. Eat slowly and chew thoroughly. If you're still having a problem, or you can't even get liquids to go down, get ahold of your Dr. right away.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.