Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Protein Supplement do you Prefer?

I have tried a couple of the Protein supplements that you can buy single servings of, and am trying to figure out what I want to stock up on before I need it. (I've tried Top Care and Unjury, and they were both good. Although I hated the strawberry Unjury, the chocolate one was good).

Please tell me what brand/type/mix you found that you like.

Thank you, in advance!

I just bought some to try today. Although I'm not supposed to drink these after I get to solid foods, I want to keep some around for liquid phase after fills in case I can't get enough Protein. I thought I'd test some now as part of my self-imposed pre-op diet.

Just a note: I've found with the powdered ones you have to do some calculating yourself to compare these evenly (ie. with unjury powder once you add the skim milk they recommend it has 4-5X as many carbs. as the low carb brands below). With some powders you can add them to Water, but some don't like them this way...I'll have to try them out.

I bought some pre-made ones today (all are 11 oz. containers). They need to be shaken a lot and served ice cold. I've only tried 2 so far:

-Target Brand, chocolate, texture was good, but they come in a metal can (other 2 below come in cardboard) and they have a tinny taste. I also don't like the nutrition: 170 Kcal, 24 carbs and only 10 Protein. I won't be buying these again.

-Atkins Advantage (low carb), milk chocolate (I also bought; Mocha Latte, and Dark Chocolate Royale), thick and creamy, good taste. Nutrition: 160 Kcal, 4 or 5 carbs, 15 protein.

-EAS AdvantEDGE (carb control), chocolate fudge, haven't tried it yet but I like the nutrition info: 110 Kcal, 4 carbs, and 17 protein.

I'm interested to see what others are using and what they're mixing the powdered ones with. Thanks for the thread!

i am worried about getting in enough Protein but also cannot have fake sugars so i'm worried about getting too many carbs in the shakes unless they have an artificial sweetener. got any ideas on how to achieve low carb and real sugar?

Hey Thin, I don't know what your docs diet includes, but like I said before, mine don't want me to ever drink a Protein Shake. I'm just trying a few for when I'm on liquids to make it easier on me (so I'm actually cheating if I do this), but that doesn't mean it can't be done without these shakes...ie. 8 oz. of skim milk has 8g of Protein. There are Protein Shakes that have sugar, but they probably have lots of carbs too (my super-skinny 19 yr. old bought a tub thinking he'd 'bulk up' until he tasted how gross it was LOL). Getting protein the first couple of weeks following surgery shouldn't be the focus (as my doc says, you've got 'plenty' of nutrients for your body to survive a few weeks, you just need hydration)...and after that you've got tons of high protein mushies to chose from. So I guess I'm saying, it shouldn't be a big deal if you never use a protein shake. Personally, I don't get why some here on LBT are still drinking these every day years later...it kind of defeates the purpose of the band as they are slider foods...if I wanted to do that I would have gone on a protein shake diet...my sister did that once...so did Oprah LOL...obviously NOT a lifestyle change (they both gained it back).

I’ve been using one I got from Wal-Mart Body Fortress whey Protein. I’ve been mixing it with about 1/3 to ½ cup of milk and SF/FF instant pudding (a little over a teaspoon) I’ve also done it with frozen fruit. I got some ready to drink EAS products AdvantEDGE (carb control) and Myaplex (sp) Lite I don’t care too much for these but they work as something to take to work. Tomorrow is my last day of sudo real food Wednesday I start my 2 day clear liquid preop cleanse……

Ive had the slim fast low carb in vanilla bean (I think), some type of vanilla. Also like you I really like the Unjury in chocolate - hated it in strawberry.< /p>

Ive had the slim fast low carb in vanilla bean (I think), some type of vanilla. Also like you I really like the unjury in chocolate - hated it in strawberry.

Smilan: Isn't that strawberry NASTY? I took 3 sips of that stuff and figured if it all tasted that bad, I was doomed! LOL. Thankfully, the chocolate was good. I've also got samples of vanilla and the chicken broth. I thought I'd mix up the vanilla with some fresh strawberries, or a spoonful of SF/FF pudding mix, as JayTee said.

I need to get out this weekend to a Target, Walmart and GNC so I can really figure this out.

I hate em all

6 days into my liq-diet im

kinda mean sorry guuysss

Oh Hannah....I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time. Hang in there, girl....it'll so be worth it when you get past the surgery and the post-op diet. Keep reading the stories on here, and looking at the pictures!! You are going to feel so good and be so HOT! :(

....I thought I'd mix up the vanilla with some fresh strawberries, or a spoonful of SF/FF pudding mix, as JayTee said.

Oh I left out make sure it's instant SF/FF pudding......

I bought some "Premier"High Protien shakes (chocolate) from costco, they are not that great, but they have 30g Protein in each one (11oz). They are not very sweet so I tried adding a spenda, but they still tasted yucky and have an aftertaste. :thumbdown:

The high Protein slim fast in chocolate was pretty decent. Very thick and creamy and no real aftertaste.

I am gonna try the other suggestions I have heard. Thanks, JayTee for the SF/FF pudding idea. Sounds good. Has anyone tried the Atkins shakes? What about the Isopure?

I am going to GNC today and will let you all know what else I try.

It is getting closer and closer to the 16th and I am getting excited. Just wanna get it over with and start living with my band.

I never thought I would feel this way, but I am sort of happy that this has been a longer process instead of short one. It has given me time to think about everything and "mourn" over the loss of some of my favorite foods that I will no longer eat once banded. I have also come to terms with the idea of "lifestyle" change and not a quick fix...It has been very good to have this time to not only prepare mentally but to prepare in the sense of making lists and planning what to do "after".

Sorry for jumping in on your forum, but I've been struggling with getting in enough Protein and am resorting to adding with shakes. I bought 2 canisters of the unflavored Unjury, thinking it would be more versatile and haven't had any luck. The smell is repulsive! I found Designer Whey protein (vanilla) and add it to a shake. Many of these are good if you make them with other things, in a blender. I'd hate to get rid of an entire container of something I didn't like....so I played around. Use the extracts from the baking aisle and add flavor without many calories. I use some pineapple (packed in WATER) ice, vanilla powder, and coconut extract. It's a nuisance to clean up a blender every time, but it sure is more pleasant than trying any other way. Be creative. Add fruit (when you're allowed to have them!) and extracts. It's a good way to get in fruit and protein! Good luck! :thumbdown: Paige

Paige- Thanks so much for the ideas! I haven't seen anyone who likes any of the unflavored ones yet (apparently, unflavored doesn't mean no flavor LOL).

Scooby- I've been drinking the Atkins shakes today and yesterday and they're not bad (I got both the chocolate flavors), much better than the Target ones. Are the costco ones low carb?

Luckily I only had to try one and i loved it so I'm sticking with it...That's the Jay Robb ones. There seems to be only one place in my city that sells it but you can get it online at jayrobb.com and it's free shipping so it's about the same price as getting it in a store. I actually put in a banana and some choc fudge sf/ff pudding mix and it's just like a chocolate banana milkshake cuz it gets frothy....(and I'll be remembering that because choc banana milkshakes are so YUMMY!!!!!) sorry if this sounds like a paid ad but i just love them and i've gone thru a tub already just having them for Breakfast every day. I haven't tried the other flavors, just vanilla. i really want to see how the strawberry is!!!!!