Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"No Fill For You!" Because I was a Stupid DooDoo POOPIE HEAD!!!

UGH! I'm such a Moron!! I was all psyched for my first fill today!:sad: I went in, all pleased as punch that I was a good 'lil bandster, eating all my purred food (I swear I thought I'd never say this, but if I never see mashed potatoes and gravy again, it'll be too soon!:thumbup:)....

So I go in and get my weigh in (16 pounds since the last visit!), and wait for the doctor. I tell him, all shiny-happy-people like that I'd been eating pureed food for the last five weeks....

Uh, NO, Doofus! I was only supposed to eat it for TWO weeks.:) I couldn't get my fill today because they didn't have anything to gauge what they should fill.

So the doctor wants me to start adding in solids, and come back next month.

AGGGH!!!! I want restriction!! I'm really scared that I'm going to start putting on weight now that I'm eating solid food.:sad: I started to call and check to see if he really wanted me on purees for the whole time between visits.

I'm such an idiot!:sad:

Don't beat yourself up! You have amazing self-control!!!

You might gain some weight as you start eating solids is natural - you are adding more calories and more substance to your meals, but don't worry, it is natural to either gain or stay the same during this time.

Make sure you measure out your foods and chew, chew, chew! It is four short weeks before you get your fill, follow the rules and don't worry.

Don't beat yourself up. Look at it this way, you showed extreme willpower AND lost a great amount of weight. I was confused post-op, too . . . but mainly because I had done so much reading here, had consulted with 2 different surgeons, and whenit came time post-op, my head was swimming with instructions/restrictions. Fortunately, my doc had written everything down for me in a little pamphlet so I was sure I was following HIS instructions and not someone else's . . . but even his were slightly different from the nutritionist's. It was a lot to keep straight.

The other good news is, after being on all that puree'd food, you certainly didn't damage your band!

[but I guess I don't understand why they couldn't fill you a little bit anyways. It took them 3 fills to get me to proper restriction and I believe the first one was a standard one he pretty much gives to everyone in the beginning. Strange.]

The doctor said that since I have a standard size (10cc) band there may be a little restriction already (if I understood him correctly) and a teeny-tiny bit of fill that they use to prime it sort of.

Oh well.:P It's just that I've got so much weight to loose!

The doctor said that since I have a standard size (10cc) band there may be a little restriction already (if I understood him correctly) and a teeny-tiny bit of fill that they use to prime it sort of.

Oh well.:P It's just that I've got so much weight to loose!

I agree with what the other posters stated. You did great!! If you can go through 5 wks of pureed food imagine what you can do with more restriction!! Remember, the band is only a tool and not the cure. Therefore, will power is key! Trust me I am an emotional eater so I have horrible will power. But enough about me.

I belive you understood correctly. I have a 10cc band. I'm at 7cc's now. But at the time of surgery I was told they had filled my band just a bit...sorry can't recall how much. I have very good restriction now though. Be sure to get in your lean Protein every day. I was told 60-70 grms per day. Chew very well and in small bites. Measure your food out too. And if they offer it attend some of the post-op support groups.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR LB JOURNEY!

Oblong and lat1,

Which kind of band did you receive? I had heard or read somewhere that the realize band comes out of surgery with a small fill but the lapband comes empty. Just checking to see if that was the case here......

Suzdavis

UGH! I'm such a Moron!! I was all psyched for my first fill today!:lol: I went in, all pleased as punch that I was a good 'lil bandster, eating all my purred food (I swear I thought I'd never say this, but if I never see mashed potatoes and gravy again, it'll be too soon!:thumbup:)....

So I go in and get my weigh in (16 pounds since the last visit!), and wait for the doctor. I tell him, all shiny-happy-people like that I'd been eating pureed food for the last five weeks....

Uh, NO, Doofus! I was only supposed to eat it for TWO weeks.:P I couldn't get my fill today because they didn't have anything to gauge what they should fill.

So the doctor wants me to start adding in solids, and come back next month.

AGGGH!!!! I want restriction!! I'm really scared that I'm going to start putting on weight now that I'm eating solid food.:lol: I started to call and check to see if he really wanted me on purees for the whole time between visits.

I'm such an idiot!:lol:

I like the way your write! Very nicely done!:biggrin:

SUCKY that you have been on mushies for 5 weeks. i dont have any idea how you did that! Willpower for sure! My doc uses what we can eat to guage how much of a fill we need as well...so I understand. Maybe if you try solids for a week or so and have no probs you can call and get in before next month? I have called twice since my first fill to get another and my doc lets me come in whenever.

I didnt gain when I went to solids, but I stopped losing for about a week or so. So then I added working out and it started back up again.

Oh well.:biggrin: It's just that I've got so much weight to loose!

My surgeon told me the same thing about probably having some Fluid in the band after surgery. Well today I go in for my second fill and he told me that there was 2.5cc in the band after surgery, he put 2cc for my first fill, and today he put in 0.5cc.

I know what you are saying about introducing solid foods but if you do like everyone here has said about chewing well, tracking what you eat, and measuring your foods you will be fine. Do you have any guidelines from a nutritionist to follow?

You are in NO way a "Stupid DooDoo Poopie Head." Yes you got the instructions mixed up but you were on pureed Foods for 5 weeks in a row! That's shows that you are committed to making this work for you in my opinion.

I am no expert in getting fills sooner than your surgeon wants you to come in but if you think that you cannot wait until then maybe he will let you come in sooner than a month call him if you need to.

You have amazing self control to be on pureed foods that long. I was supposed to be on them for 2 weeks and I only lasted 10 days.

That sucks that you have to wait another month for your fill. Why couldn't the doctor just reschedule you after a week? Anyway, you will probably stall out on your weight loss just watch what you eat. Eat sensible. You'll do just fine!

You are not alone... I did the same thing as you did!!!! I was banded on Dec 14 and when I went in to get my first fill the dr asked me what I was eating. I was explaining how I don't feel any restriction and I really am not getting full, blah blah. I was eating scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, refried Beans (cause I liked them with cheese and hot sauce), Protein shakes for snack, so I described the mushy phase way into my 6th week post op. The way he described it made sense that all the mushy food was going through the band to the big stomach. I just was nervous about eating regular food and I was loosing so I just went with it.

Anyways, now I have had 2 fills and definately am feeling restriction.

Good luck to you and it's nice to know I wasn't the only one.

Michele

193/169/125

(no preop diet)

I'm impressed that you were able to stick to mushies for 5 weeks. After 2 of liquids and 2 of softs I was going out of my mind craving something with texture. Expect to put a little back on with solids. It's okay. Until your first fill, you aren't exactly on the program. This is about healing and learning how to eat with the band. Your stomach hasn't had to work on processing things for a while, so you need this time. I freaked when I gained back some weight during this time. My doctor won't do fills for 2 months aftr sugery, making his patients go full month on solids. What it teaches you is that it isn't the band that makes you lose weight, it is what you put in your mouth. Also, if you don't learn to eat the correct way (how, not what), you can cause the band to slip. So don't panic if you put on a few. Work on small bites and chewing. Then when you get your fill you will have success.