Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

50 lbs down and wearing same pants. Why?

What the heck? Although how they fit has changed, I am still wearing pants I wore before surgery. I am down 50 and should be in a smaller size.

My question to you gals, this is kind of personal, but I am 5'4 and 245 wearing size 20. For those with similar dementions, about what weight were you when you got into an 18, 16, 14, and 12?

My curves are everywhere by the way, hourglass shape.

I dont know why your still in the same pants?, all i know is with me, im down 5 dress sizes, my old cothes fall straight to the ground when fastened,

ive gone from a size 30 to a 20..

im 5'7

are you doing alot of building muscles exercises?..

has the weight gone off from the top of your body instead of the bottom?

so strange, have you shrunk your pants in the wash? it happens?

hope you find the answer... good luck

What the heck? Although how they fit has changed, I am still wearing pants I wore before surgery. I am down 50 and should be in a smaller size.

My question to you gals, this is kind of personal, but I am 5'4 and 245 wearing size 20. For those with similar dementions, about what weight were you when you got into an 18, 16, 14, and 12?

Well I can't answer your question but I'm the same way. I'm only about 30 lbs down but still am wearing the same clothes size. It sucks and is very frustrating. My husband said its because I'm not working out like I should but still 30lbs (and in your case 50 lbs) is still a loss. It should show some where. Are you working out at all?

I'm 5'4 and started at 269 in a size 22. I was banded in November and am down 42lbs. I just bought a size 16 pair of capris! I exersise at least 4 times a week, mostly cardio. Almost immediatley after surgery I was able to wear some size 20s...and still am to be honest. However, when I buy new clothes, which is more than I need to be, I try on at least 3 different sizes of the items I want (I'm just so excited). I suggest measuring your waist and hips. I could be that you are losing in other areas, like your chest or legs. They say a womens chest is the first to go...they are correct!

I admit, I am not really exercising. I have been sick lately, but I do plan on starting to walk now that the weather is nicer. But still, where does 50 lbs go? I am loosing on top more than anything. I plan on getting a wii fit soon, and I heard yoga is quite a workout. I will try that soon. I tried on some big 18's the other day, and got them buttoned- BARELY. I am so frustraded.

try some swimming too, thats really good for all over body weight loss..

maybe your shrinking everywhere & not so much in one place where 50lbs would be more noticabe?

dont be disheartened you are doing great, maybe without you knowing, it will all of a sudden go from your body?

i used the wii fit game when i came home from hospital, then when i could ijoined a gym & go 3-4 times a week, for a swim too..

good luck

I kinda feel the same way. I have lost 34 lbs and haven't bought any new clothes, except tops. I know that my stomach has gone down, but it is still there and that prevents me from switching sizes. I need to go to a smaller size, because my clothes are really baggy, but I can't estimate what size I will wear for the summer, so I just don't get anything. Anyone else having that problem?

im 5'7, have lost 43lbs. i did go down a size, but they're tight on me. i thought they would be normal fitting. it can be kind of discouraging. and some places sizes are different. at cato's i can wear a 22 comfortably. lane bryant 22's are tight, but wearable.

Take heart! Several things can be in the mix here. 1) Maybe those 20s were really tight when you started losing (i.e., maybe a 22 would have fit better?) -- so now you are legitimately in a 20 and approaching an 18; 2) there is no consistency is manufacturers' sizing...in my experience, the cheaper the clothing, the smaller it runs -- as in a 20 that you paid $10 for might actually be an 18 if you compared it to a similar garment that you paid $30 for; 3) you might actually BE an 18 but those pants are comfortable now and you haven't gone shopping -- go to a department store, not the plus size department, and try on several different styles of size 18 and just see! As we lose weight, we have sort of skewed view of ourselves. It's common to look in the mirror and KNOW that you've lost weight and yet see the fat lady I/you/we were. So a shopping trip just might be in order. Try on tons of clothes. See what looks really good on you (take a friend who you can count on to be unbiased). Worry about the number on the tag less than the fit, but I'm still betting you'll be fitting into at least some 20s!

I kinda understand what you are talking about. I am losing weight. I know it. I've made a few diet changes and I go to the gym faithfully four times a week even though I went five times this week. I suggest going to a gym or working out. I have a personal trainer and at my gym its only 15.00 per session! I know that at other gyms it may be more costly. However, I am not really weighing myself. I don't want to count pounds because I know it will come off slowly. I don't want to be discouraged. I think you are being a little too hard on yourself though.

I was in the same boat with you and finally got out of it last week... I know for me, my legs and butt were getting smaller but my belly area kept me in the higher size but just last week FINALLY my belly swelling went down. You and I were banded two days apart so that might be what's happening to you. All I know is my doctor said the swelling stays for a few months and he was right.

I am 5' 5"

Jeans:

Size 18: 257 lbs

Size 16: 225 lbs

Size 12: 199 lbs

I was in the same boat with you and finally got out of it last week... I know for me, my legs and butt were getting smaller but my belly area kept me in the higher size but just last week FINALLY my belly swelling went down. You and I were banded two days apart so that might be what's happening to you. All I know is my doctor said the swelling stays for a few months and he was right.

That makes total sense. I couldn't figure out why when trying on pants everything was always baggy in the legs and butt but then if i found them to not be baggy I couldn't snap them.. it was making me very frustrated and one time when i did find a pair that fit real good like it was made for me the very next week when I went to put them on they were too big allready.. what's up with that?

Hey Angie,

The one thing that keeps me sane about it is just measuring my waist every time I see scale change. When I noticed the size drop I checked my waist measurement and sure enough! There it was...my belly finally went down. I know for a fact that my belly still has a bit more to go down from the surgery swelling but in my mind that's ok. I'm trying really hard to give myself a break...otherwise I will just about go insane waiting for things to happen.

I'm always wondering this same thing. Our bodies are all so different so people the same height and same weight can wear different sizes. I was an 18 at 260, and I'm an 18 at 231.5. I haven't tried anything else but I'm still wearing the same clothes--they are looser, but not so loose that I can't wear them. My last significant weight loss, I was about 220 before I could wear a 16. I can't wait to see when I can wear them now...maybe I'll go straight to a 14...???