Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drunk Driving

Even though I obviously am not pro-drinking and driving (who could seriously take THAT position in a debate without laughing?), I'll play devil's advocate. Here in rual Texas, there is zero public transportation. Even in the moderately large city of Texarkana, public transportation is minimal (busses run in the downtown part only during "banker's hours". There are a few cabs, but they're downtown as well). Hence, suspending somebody's liscense for 2 years is tantamount to making them unable to work for 2 years (I, for instance, drive 45 miles one way to get to work). So, if somebody is 1/10th of a percent over the legal limit, putting them out of work on a first offense seems a little harsh. I'd argue for maybe a harsh and extensive probation with a curfew and punishing fines (only for a first offense....and only if no damage or death was involved in the first offense)

My answer to this is don't drink at all then if you know you are going to have to drive. Or if you have even one drink don't drive. Because if that person who was 1/10th of a percent over the legal limit was back on the road with a slap on the wrist and killed someone the next time around it would be a pretty sad thing. Something that could have been preventable.

And if I had to drive 45 minutes to work I might go crazy. :mellow:

I knew you were a bleedin' heart lib, tap!! It's them fancy words you like to throw around that was the giveaway!!

Fancy words? Ah shucks, Plain. :blink:

My answer to this is don't drink at all then if you know you are going to have to drive.

And if I had to drive 45 minutes to work I might go crazy. :mellow:

Exactly!

And ditto!

My answer to this is don't drink at all then if you know you are going to have to drive.

Of course. If only everybody followed this simple piece of advice......BTW, just food for thought, this is the reason I oppose making pot legal (something I occasionally will treat myself to....it's no secret). Because the majority of people would probably indulge responsibly, but there will be some that will climb behind the wheel and cause havoc.

Of course. If only everybody followed this simple piece of advice......BTW, just food for thought, this is the reason I oppose making pot legal (something I occasionally will treat myself to....it's no secret). Because the majority of people would probably indulge responsibly, but there will be some that will climb behind the wheel and cause havoc.

I feel the exact same way (though I don't indulge anymore-long story). It's too bad that irresponsible people ruin it for the masses. And really the govt could tax the sh*t out of pot and people would still buy it.

I feel the exact same way (though I don't indulge anymore-long story).

And yet, I feel it's a story that needs to be told. It'll either be funny and carefree, or could be used as a PSA, lol.

Shortish version- I had a few drug issues in my youth. Nothing awful but I was on the road to it. The last time I smoked pot I was unknowingly pregnant with my daughter. I told God if she came out without any real problems that I would never do drugs again. Well he kept up his end of the bargain- kid is smart as a whip though a sassy little thing, so I am keeping up my end of the bargain. So I am drug free since May 12, 2000 =)

Man, I was hoping for something a little more spicy. The next time you tell the story, can you throw in some nudity or girl-girl wrestling, or something like that? Thanks.

Man, I was hoping for something a little more spicy. The next time you tell the story, can you throw in some nudity or girl-girl wrestling, or something like that? Thanks.

And then later on that night I ate an entire pizza and wrestled my best friend naked in a baby pool full of Jello.

And then later on that night I ate an entire pizza and wrestled my best friend naked in a baby pool full of Jello.

While the pizza delivery guy watched in eager anticipation of the orgy that was sure to follow......

I'm going to have to disagree with this. You aren't more susceptible simply from having the family history. However, you are more likely to have the same genetic issues. OTOH, if you don't have them, then you don't have them and drinking socially is fine.

I have a history of alcoholism in my family as well as a host of other addictions.... yet I can drink social a few times a year and be fine. I don't like alcohol that much so I rarely drink and I don't like the feeling of being drunk or high.

I firmly believe that addiction has a large biological basis and that I was very lucky to be spared genetically. I just don't have an addictive personality and I'm not going to get one from having a Cosmo 5x a year.

I think the history of alcoholism in a family is most likely linked to a genetic predisposition towards addiction. You are right that it is more than just he history . . . but the history may well be caused by the genetics.

My family has a strong history of alcoholism running through it so I am sure the genetics are there. However, I am not really a drinker and I could count the average # of drinks I have had in a given year on my fingers. I haven't drank at all for the last two years. I think I might just be naturally high, lol. I am certainly ditzy enough on occasion that you might think I was imbibing in something a little stronger than Water. :0)

So somehow, I managed to not pick up an addiction thus far in the realm of drugs or alcohol and I don't think I will since I don't partake.

However, addiction has reared its ugly head in my personal life in the realms of food and caffeine . . . hence the need for a band. It may be this genetic predisposition and/or family history coupled with the way I was raised that got me to obesity.

I do agree, there is no excuse for driving if you have been drinking. Even if you are only 1/10 over the limit, you are still capable of causing someone else harm.

Then of course there are those people who are naturally high . . . perhaps they shouldn't be driving either, lol.

Oh.....yeah. Giggity giggity....

And really the govt could tax the sh*t out of pot and people would still buy it.

It might even help with the deficit! :cursing:

I had a huge drinking problem in my younger days. I used to joke that I was part Irish and part Cherokee, so I love to drink, but can't handle it.

Now, though, I think a part of my addictive personality has buried itself, or gone away for good. I'm not really addicted to anything but food (and I'm kinda breaking that now.)

I can drink socially and get drunk every now and then and be fine. I would not drink and drive, though I have in the past. I do regret it, and would NEVER do that again.

I have folks in my family who have been to prison for manslaughter while drunk driving and it's sad. It's definitely a wake up call.

And, Tap - the autospy and body prep work as a punishment is so PERFECT! It makes so much sense.

Many people already drive stoned although increased useage would undoubtedly result in increased driving offenses...

As for drunk driving - it's a largely accepted and/or rationalized social crime. A lot of people express sympathy for a friend or relative who gets arrested for DWI.

I feel the exact same way (though I don't indulge anymore-long story). It's too bad that irresponsible people ruin it for the masses. And really the govt could tax the sh*t out of pot and people would still buy it.

So legalize it and tax it? That just means the tax and spend legislators will have more money to dole out for pet pork projects - you can't honestly believe they'd use it to pay debt...

Besides, the more they tax it - the more victimizing the hoodlums will have to do to pay for it...

I don't believe that driving drunk is a largely accepted social crime. I don't need or want to drink to be social, and I have no sympathy for anyone who gets a DWI. My own adult son got one once and I hoped they would throw the book at him! Don't get me wrong, I love him with all my heart, but how do you correct a wrong behavior? With discipline. Alcohol consumers have no business getting behind a wheel, and that goes for pot smokers as well. Anytime you are impaired mentally or emotionally (like right after the news of the death of a loved one, or a fight or intense argument with someone, after drug use, etc.)you should walk, not drive.