Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you motivated others?

EVERYONE !! who says that they haven't motivated anyone. Not true. Looking at all your stats and seeing just how good your doing has really motivated me.

When I first came here I was just starting the process, and that was just discussing it with my DH. I've met so many nice people here who are willing to share their ups as well as thier downs.

So let me say this again. YOU HAVE ALL MOTIVATED ME (and I'm sure alot more than you realize).

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!

BTW, me and a girl from work are racing to see who gets the surgery first LOL. We're doing it together :)

Yep, a teacher at my son's school is borrowing my book and looking at financing. A woman in the grocery store made me write down all the sites (doctor, LBT, etc) that I could think of. A waitress at a restraunt took down my doctor's name and number. A man I work with is researching more about both the band and bypass. My neighbors watch with their mouths open and secretly talk behind my back (like I dont know ha ha).

This is yet another reason that I think it is important to not live in the "band closet". Not only is it impossible to be close to co workers and friends and not lie/decieve/stretch the truth but it also lets people be aware of the band. If I had not struck up a conversation with a stranger, and she was okay with talking about it.... I probably would have never had the band and done what the bypass doctor suggested (which was gain 40 lbs and we will try for bypass... baaaaaaad option). I didn't even think about going to Mexico and self paying with a low BMI, until she told me about it.

I have two ladies in my office waiting to see how my band goes and they are both going to consider it. I have given them all my litature and websites. I hope to get an exboss on to the bandwagon. She already has some comorbitites and I want her to stay around for along time. Keri

Hey Jenna,

Add me to you list! Thanks for all your help. Looks like it is going to happen for me! YEA!!!!

Angel

My mom being the first I ever told I was getting banded other than my husband says that if she can ever get medical insurance again( she doesn't have any right now) that she would be in line to get banded as well. she has been over weight for years and I hope one day she can be banded too! i've had several friends ask me in detail about the band and 1 is looking into it and even went to one of the band seminars. I think the thing is that there are so many people that just don't know it is available and the more that we tell the more it can help some one else... but I also understand it is a very personal subject and one that is very hard to share with everyone.... most overweight people understand how we feel and would love to know that there is another option other than GBP.. but then some people will judge and be ugly .. so it is something to be careful to tell or not to tell!!!

I see people on the street that are over weight and I just want to go up and start telling them about the band.. I don't... for fear I would embarse them but when given the oportunity I do tell people about it and you would be so suprised at the hugs you will get from strangers that you don't even know that tell you thank you I will check into that!! You might change someones life if you do tell in the right situation and on a personal level!!

As "fat" people we all know that if losing weight on our own was feasible we would have done it a long time ago. Thin people have no clue what it is like for us. Therefore when the asked me, before my banding, why I cant do it "naturally" I tell them the truth. I simply say "I know me...and if I could I would, but I cant". Most people just dont get it...but I really dont care if they do.

As for motivating people to be banded..I have had several people come to me asking for the information. I have a friend who had the gastric bypass and had so much trouble with it, but she came to me asking for banding information for her husband because he saw what she went through and decided that it was not for him. He is so sold on the band now and is looking into it now.

In total I have at least 5 people waiting for banding approval and I think it is the best decision they could make. I know it was the best decision I ever made!

My cousin's wife is the most lovely and amazing BBW and her and my dear cousin are trying desperately to have a baby. They are currently trying fertility treatments and she has apparently been trying to lose weight. All of this I have heard through the 'family grapevine' and I haven't talked to her myself in a while (as we live different sides of the country), but I must admit that I hope to have her ask me about the band, simply to give her another option for assisting her fertility. I couldn't bring it up with her but I would have absolutely no trouble pointing her in this direction if she asks. I am hoping said 'family grapevine' works for 'good' as well as 'evil' and she will hear about my band and ask about it.

Well, I don't know if I "influenced" my friend (HotLikeHer) or not, more like she became "obsessed" with it. (HeeHeeHee) and she's having her surgery on August 30th. I told her about it say on a Friday night - by Sunday morning she became an EXPERT - I was then asking her about stuff. (Still do.) I have also talked to another girl, at the bloodbank while donating - she couldn't wait to call my doctor's office - I didn't get her name though. However, I do find it very hard not to talk to other overweight people that I see and tell them how great the band is and have they ever heard of it. Of course I don't want to offend anyone by saying that - maybe they don't know they're overweight or havn't faced it yet.

Not sure if Ive influenced anyone on getting the band... BUT my cousin who has been plagued with a large nose decided to have a "nose job" back in June.

Her reason? "I thought, If Paula can do what SHE did (getting the band) then I can do this."

Not sure if Ive influenced anyone on getting the band... BUT my cousin who has been plagued with a large nose decided to have a "nose job" back in June.

Her reason? "I thought, If Paula can do what SHE did (getting the band) then I can do this."

HEHEHEHE !!!

Ha ha ha, Obsessed huh,,,lol. Meany,,, Nah you could say that... I like to be very informed and edumacated... ha ha ha

Yeah HotLikeMe told me about I went to the sites and here I am...

But I guess I also influenced her too.. She was nervous about it for a little bit, back and forth so I encouraged her,,lol to do it still,,,, (Fashin Bug Cheryl),,, ha ha ha

Go a head you can explain that one....

No, I've really kept this to myself. However, I did tell a relative about it and now she may have it although I think I just confirmed her belief in the band rather than totally inspire her to have it!