Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For struggling new bandsters

La Madam -

Thanks for your gentle reminder to all of us here that patience is the key to our sanity and weight loss. I do not weigh myself everyday, but during the 6 weeks post op, I was discouraged at not having lost any weight. My doctor was one of those who talks down to you if you don't lose enough weight during the liquid phase. He always compares you (his patient) with his other patients, which is wrong!! Especially since most of his patients are gastric bypass and of course they are going to lose more. Even though my doctor isn't well informed, I'm glad that I have this place to turn to and get the help and advice that I need.

Being well informed about the band process and the living it are two different things. I thought I knew what to expect, but what I didn't expect was the emotional ride. Thanks again for the reminder.

Tricia H

Thank you very much for your words of wisdoms. I have to say finding this forum and all of you is the best thing that has happened to me since I had my lapband done. I hardly did any research going into the surgery although it did take me a year to work up my courage to commit to a lifetime of beneficial changes. If I found you sooner things could have been different!

And it's amazing to have the avenue to talk to fellow lapbandsters who really understand what I'm going through. I love my family and they support me greatly, but somethings they just don't understand because they don't go through any of it. My euphoric mood sort of crashed two/three weeks after my surgery and I was having a hard time getting myself out of the slump. I ended up eating solid foods two weeks earlier than I was supposed to be getting my fill and on some days I ate over 1,500 calories. I ate bc I felt horrible but then eating the wrong things just made things worst (guess a lifetime of bad habits are hard to break). I just got lucky that it slowed my weight loss but didn't reverse the trend completely. Then I found you all and I'm back on track...so thank you, thank you! And i promise, I'll try to get on the scale less (like once a weeks instead of every day!)

Hi Michele,

Glad you posted this. I get lots of emails from bandsters asking me how I lost so much weight and if I have some secret up my sleeve. I can assure everyone that I dont and I struggled in the beginning like everyone else. Slow and steady wins the race. I am learning something new everyday. Right now, I have very little restriction. I do need a fill, but I am trying very hard to eat healthy and make wise food choices. Yes, I am eating more, (I can actually eat bread and hamburger again!) but I feel it is an important part of my journey to allow myself a little time to try to make more of the decision for myself about what I eat and how much. The band is a constant learning experience.

Babs in TX

334/180/170

August 5th 2005 - PS Medial thighplasty and abdominoplasty

I am one of the people who have no patience, but I also keep thinking that there must be something that I am not doing.I go back over everything I was told and all the material I was given at my Doctor's office. I am trying to weigh once a month and not worrry. I guess I have tryed 100 things that didn't work and this was the most expensive thing I have ever done for myself and I am wondering if I can lose this weight. Keep giving us the advise that we all need.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I too, needed to hear this . . . as I am only one week out and have fantasies of amazing, immediate weight loss. I needed the reality check that this is a lifelong lifestyle, and these first weeks may not fulfill those fantasies! I, too, will print off your message, and thanks for the link too - I did not get that pamphlet.

Oh how I wish I found this website BEFORE I had my surgery (May 23). I had so many questions and concerns and nobody to talk to. I still feel like a newbie and am so happy to have all of you here. I tell everyone about this site. Couldn't do it without any of you. Thank you thank you thank you

I'm only 3 weeks post op, and I feel like I have no restriction at all!

I'm eating to much..why to much..

thanks for the info.

I'm going to eat 1/2 of what I eat today.

I'm eating to much..why to much.

Why too much? You have no fill yet, this is normal pre fill behavior

I'm only 3 weeks post op, and I feel like I have no restriction at all

The reason for NO restriction at all... Again NO fill yet.

LaMadam,

Thank you for this thread. It is so wonderful to read all of this info. Even though I know all of this, I am a newbee and I need reminding of all of these things over and over and maybe over again.

What is bumping? Where is the post where you weigh in weekly?

Confession: I am a scale person.... I will try to stop! No promises, but I will try:biggrin1:

Look on the Blue Bar along the top of the LBT page...there is a link to "New Posts" which gives a list of all of the newest posts from all of the Forums. OR, when you open a Forum, for example "Support" you see the threads listed from newest to oldest. Threads with recent replies are at the top. When some one "Bumps" a thread, they post a reply, and cause the thread to go to the top of the lists, and it's able to be seen, rather than being buried under pages and pages of newer thread activity. You might never have found this thread if it hadn't been "bumped" to the first page of posts In the General Discussion Forum. Did I 'splain that good enough? LOL

Oh, and threads that are "Stickied" stay at the top all the time, so folks can find them easily. Look for challenges at the tops of the forums for weighing weekly, etc.

Look on the Blue Bar along the top of the LBT page...there is a link to "New Posts" which gives a list of all of the newest posts from all of the Forums. OR, when you open a Forum, for example "Support" you see the threads listed from newest to oldest. Threads with recent replies are at the top. When some one "Bumps" a thread, they post a reply, and cause the thread to go to the top of the lists, and it's able to be seen, rather than being buried under pages and pages of newer thread activity. You might never have found this thread if it hadn't been "bumped" to the first page of posts In the General Discussion Forum. Did I 'splain that good enough? LOL

Oh, and threads that are "Stickied" stay at the top all the time, so folks can find them easily. Look for challenges at the tops of the forums for weighing weekly, etc.

yes the help me out alot thank you:)