Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you go home after surgery?

As far as my surgeon goes, barring any complications it was my choice.

As far as my insurance goes, I was approved for 23 hour stay.

Personally, I chose to go home.

The hospital policy was that once I could go to the bathroom then I could be released. I had terrible nausea and it took an hour or two to get that squared away. As far as how long the surgery took and timing, my brain was pretty fuzzy so I can't give that info. I had to be at the hospital at 6AM, I sat around and waited a while and it took a long time to get checked in and settled into my bed. By the time I met the surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurses etc., got my bloodwork and IV's and all that stuff, I would say it was closer to 9 by the time I actually was in the operating room. I was home around3PM.

The hospital kept telling me that my insurance approved me for overnight stay and they had a room held for me but I prefer to be at home. I have no regrets with that decision.

Edited by Jodi_620

I checked in at 0630 and prep for surgery was completed at 0845. I got into surgery around 0930 and woke up in recovery at 1300. I was told that instead of the 30 minutes it usually takes it took 90 minutes. I had an extra artery running by the location that the Realize band was to be placed feeding the liver and the Dr. had to move it so the band did not block the blood flow to the liver. I got to my room by about 1330 and asked for ice or Water. All they gave me was a wet sponge on a stick. So at 1430 I asked to be allowed up so I could start walking the halls. I was told that either way I was spending the night but if I thought I could that it would be OK if someone walked with me (my wife came with me) We walked till 1500 and then I asked for more pain meds and asked for Ice again and this time got a half of a coffee cup of ice. By 1900 I still had not urinated but 100ml so here came the foley cath. which got an additional 700ml. Boy was that unpleasant and painful about 1" in and about 8" in. I hope that never is needed again. I got it removed about noon the next day and ws released around 1500 the day after surgery.

The first time I was banded, I was out within four hours. This second time (two weeks ago today), I had to stay two days due to complications.

Checked in at 5:45 AM, had surgery at 7:30 AM, was in recovery by 10 AM and into my room by 6 PM. Stayed overnight which for which I was relieved. I was in a lot of pain and loved having the pain pump (which i called a Nurse in a Box) for whatever magic drug they put into the bag. Frankly, if I had the option to stay another night, I would have. I was MISERABLE when I got home and couldn't find a comfortable place to sit/lie down, stand. The hospital bed was much more comfortable than mine.

But i stayed overnight and left at 3 PM the next day.

Good luck!

I went into surgery about 8:30 am and walked out of the hospital at 11 am. They were all amazed at how well I recovered, and I did have lots of help at home if I needed it. All I needed was the company. If your insurance demands you stay overnight, why not? It's nice to be pampered and waited on for once, especially if they're picking up the tab.

I didn't find out until right before I was rolled into the OR that I had to spend the night because of sleep Apena and High Blood Pressure. I asked to go home the same day and he told me I was staying just 5 minutes before the OR door opened:cursing: I was awake all night from the party at the nurses station:cursing: Got home the next day around 12:30. Have lost 27 pounds since my banding on Jan 16th, had first fill almost 2 weeks ago. Going back for 2nd fill first of April

I got to the hospital at 9:00, surgery at 10:30. Sometime in there I saw the doctor and asked if I could go home and he said I could. Later while recovering, a nurse had told him that I had sleep apnea and had no one at home to take care of me. He called me a non-compliant patient. I did have someone at home and really wanted to go knowing I would be much more comfortable at home. He never rescinded the discharge so I spent the day with a wonderful nurse, got home at 6. Later when talking with the sleep doctor, I asked why I should have to spend the night if I had apnea. He told me that apnea patients were more likely to crash. I asked what that meant and he said:"Oh, stop breathing." I am glad I didn't crash and if I had it to do again, I would probably spend the night.

I had surgery about 10 am on Monday, stayed overnite on the heart floor as a precuation and went home about 1 pm on Tuesday.

The hospital told me that most paticents leave that day but my doctor said she likes to keep those with sleep apnea one night to check their oxygen levels as they sleep.

How long before everyone went back to work? I have a desk job. Waiting what feels like forever for a suegery date, trying to plan out a little.

Thanks for any feedback!

I took Two weeks off. I don't have a desk job. I'm a phlebotomist and I stand when I draw patients blood, and am up and down at the computer with each patient, and I have a difficult co-worker. I want to be as near 100% as possible when I go back. I also want time to get used to the new way of eating, and decide what meals I can take for lunch and not embarrass myself. If I had a desk job I could have probably returned after 1 week. It took a good 5 or 6 days just to get my strength back, probably due in part to the lack of calories, etc. I would suggest taking 2 weeks off and go back earlier if you feel like you can.

My insurance required an overnight stay, I was very ready to go home the same day & would've felt much much better at home.

How long before everyone went back to work? I have a desk job. Waiting what feels like forever for a suegery date, trying to plan out a little.

Thanks for any feedback!

I have a desk job too. I had my surgery on a Friday, went back to work 1/2 days the following Thursday and Friday then back to regular schedule the following Monday. I did still have some discomfort but I was did OK, have some loose clothing ready (clothes that will not irritate the waistband area). Taking short walks around the office a couple times a day helped.

I had surgery at approx 8:00am, I was on my way home by 10pm the same day. I probably could have left sooner but my surgeon was in another surgery and they couldn't get ahold of him to see if I could go. Everything went well so I was released.

Today is my first day back to work. I was off for exactly one week and I am fine. I'm a teller at a bank and am not having any problems. A little soreness getting in and out of the tall chairs we have but nothing major.

Edited by carissarenae1986