Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surprise at surgeons office today, I have a Realize band

I went for my first check up since my surgery on 3/4. Everything is going really good and I feel better everyday. When I had my appointment with the surgeon back in Dec, I told him I wanted a lap band, not realize. I found out today to my surprise, I have a realize band. It was not the surgeon that operated on me and when I ask why I did not get a lap band, he came up with a story about different body types and the port. He also said unless a patient asks only for a certain type of band, it is up to the surgeon. I told him I did say what I wanted. I could tell he was trying to avoid the subject and told me I will have to talk to my surgeon at my next appointment. I also said it is now to late. I was very upset when I left his office but I keep thinking I'm thankful I could have this done. Please tell me I will be happy with a realize band. (not that I have any choice)

They are very comparable, I think...and I have the lap band. The realize band has a smaller port I believe so as you lose it's not as likely to stick out. I would be FURIOUS that they put something different that what I asked for without clearing it with me, and I would think the surgeon should come clean with you, (although they are so scared of malpractice lawsuits that may never happen even if they WANT to say ... I messed up, sorry... so you may be out of luck there). Having said that, though, they both work. Many people just let their docs decide; unless you had a very strong specific reason for wanting the lap band over the realize, I'm sure you'll be fine. You could demand that he fix it...but I don't know that I'd want to go through surgery for that because they really are both very good pieces of medical equipment.

What are the differences between the 2? I am having lapband, no choice, they do not do realize here, so I have not researched it. Can you tell me the dif? Thx!

What are the differences between the 2? I am having lapband, no choice, they do not do realize here, so I have not researched it. Can you tell me the dif? Thx!

Try this link:

Compare Adjustable Gastric Bands - LAP-BAND vs. REALIZE Band

My doctor asked me which one I wanted then I told him the RB. Then he said he couldn't guarantee that is what I would get they wouldn't know which one would work best in my body. So maybe your doctor wasn't giving you a load of bull.

I know I had wanted the LapBand AP but then I got the Realize instead. I haven't gone back to the Dr. yet for my post op but I will ask why he did Realize instead of AP. I guess it doesn't matter and actually Realize offers an online support group just for patients with their products which I think is pretty cool. You get a special number when you have your surgery and that is you ID for the online tools. I haven't been on yet but will very shortly. The only difference I see that makes me think is the date each was approved by the FDA. AP was in 2001 and Realize was 2007. Other than that they are pretty comparable, from what I see...

I have the Realize Band (my doctor lets us decide which he implants). I've been very happy with my band, thrilled in fact. I did chose the RB for various reasons (the port, the way the port is anchored, the width of the band, etc). With that being said, I could also make an argument for the Lap Band just as easily (the RB just tipped to be my pick, but it wasn't cut and dry). Both are wonderful tools, and I wouldn't be disappointed with either one.

I would want to know why the surgeon didn't follow my wishes though, but you're going to love the band either way.

I began this journey only wanting the lapband. Then I went to the seminar and read all about the realize band. It's owned by johnson & johnson.. They are very respected in the medical world for their quality. Then there's the website. It's a great way to track all in one place. It's got a lot of support and your Drs office is linked to the site. So, after all that I read I only wanted the realize.... then there's the research part they are finding that for some reason people are losing more with the realize band.. at least that's what my Doctor said. I hope you'll be happy with it, sucks you didn't get what you asked for. Hope this helps you feel a bit better... so far I love mine.

My doctor told me that he preferred the lap band ap specifically for the shape; other than that and the port size the 2 are basically the same. I would've been happy with either, but was armed with the knowledge before hand.

I would be FURIOUS as well that someone put something in me I didn't authorize. Let us know how your talk with your surgeon goes!

I thought the Realize band port was a little smaller (or so the staff explained. Realize also have a secure website that you record your meals, weight, etc and your Dr. as well as his staff can monitor your progress. My Dr and his staff had e-mail addresses there so I could e-mail questions directly to them instead of trying to get thru the phone.

I have actually had both!! I had a lapband put in 4 yrs ago and had a slippage. I had it removed and replaced with a realize band on March 3rd. So far my recovery with the realize is way better than the lap band.. I am still on squishy food, so I can't tell you too much else. I do have way LESS heart burn than I did with the lap band. My lap band held 5cc and this holds 10cc. Maybe that is why..Good luck!

oh.. btw, I hated my old port with the lap band.. It was constantly pinching hand hurting me during working out.. Hopefully the realize band is better!

First of all... please don't worry! The bands are comparable. Most of the time it just depends which company is giving the hospital a better deal on each unit. (to be honest). Now, with that being said, I chose the RB. I am really impressed with their website for followup. They make the food diary a breeze... literally dragging the food to your daily log. If you have a custom food, you entire the info once and then it is saved under your food. They will email or text you if you haven't entered a weight in a while. I like this... keeps you accountable. It is newer, so there are less studies.. but it appears there are less tube leakage due to accidental puncture during fills. Here was something that was posted on OH: " The info below was posted by Dr. Brad Watkins from Synchrony Health, Cincinnati, OH on lapbandtalk.com on 12/12/07. Dr. Watkins is also a member of the Advisory Board for ObesityHelp.com.

Differences between REALIZE and ALLERGAN bands:

Clinical outcomes (slip rate, erosion rate, weight loss, etc) are very similar between the two bands. The Allergan band is the original band (Allergan bought the Inamed band company which bought Bioenterics company - these are the old names of the same band)

Surgically, there are subtle differences such as:

The Allergan band comes in many sizes, REALIZE band is one size.

Allergan has two port sizes; REALIZE is one port size.

Allergan ports are stitched to the muscle fascia (the tough white stuff on the outside of the muscle); REALIZE port has neat technology that attaches itself to the muscle fascia and may have slightly less port pain the first few days after surgery. The REALIZE ports have a neat tool that places the port and secures it with a handheld instrument making it really easy on the surgeon. (Don't tell anyone but they could teach monkeys to do this stuff.)

Allergan band tubing has little arrows printed on it pointing the surgeon to the tab end of the tubing which is a nice feature in the operating room.

Allergan ports are smaller around (circumference) and taller - perhaps easier to palpate for fills.

REALIZE ports are bigger around and less prominent. Think small stack of silver dollars versus taller stack of quarters to create the mental image.

Allergan tubing is closer to the septum (the area that you aim for with the needle for adjustments/fills) and perhaps more susceptible to needle sticks requiring port replacement.

REALIZE ports have the septum farther away from the tubing - the tubing is a little more protected.

Both bands are now easier to unbuckle in the event a surgeon has to reposition the band.

The REALIZE band comes with a neat instrument that helps to pass the band around the upper stomach.

The Allergan AP bands have "pillows" in the inflatable portion of the inner balloon that prevents balloon-to-balloon contact. The REALIZE band does have balloon-to-balloon contact. Some people think that this contact may cause issues years later but long-term studies have not shown this to be the case."

Hope this helps!

Surgery Date: 3-2-2009 Realize

No fill : ( First fill scheduled for 4-7-2009

Highest weight: 312

Surgery weight: 302

15 days post op: 289