Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone junking out to keep the secret?

I got banded almost a month ago. I started out so strong for the first couple weeks, worked out all the time and was dropping weight like crazy.

However, the past 2 weeks I've been on travel for work, and am literally living out of restaurants and hotels. No time to work out because we've been working 16 hour days. At the end of the day, we usually end up at a bar to "unwind". Well, being that no one know I'm banded, and I don't want them to suspect anything, I've been consuming with them like I would on prior trips (pre-band). Eating bar food, drinking lots, and having good times. I've been doing my best about ordering healthier food and trying not to finish my meal, but don't always do well.

Well, needless to say, I hate myself for giving into the temptation because I'm so early in my journey and still have a lot to go.

Are there other people out there that are giving into temptation to hide the truth about their band?

MrRG,

I certainly haven't been the poster child for the band but... but... but...

You are only a month out. I only have one thing to say, please get back on the wagon! You are seriously risking your health eating like that only a month out.

I can't even eat like that if I tried. Hiding my band or not.

yea, i'm a little nervous that i feel little to no restriction have of the time. i don't eat HUGE quantities, but the quality of food i've been exposed to is lacking. i know i need to be better, but it's just so hard because i work with people that literally force things down my face.

Let me give an example... one of the girls were with orders a sampler platter at the bar. Too much for her. She gets drunk and expects others to help her finish it. Well, everyone helps but me. I don't want to... but she will scream obnoxiously saying "eat it". And I shrug is off laughing thinking its all a joke, but she keeps insisting, "eat it" and people are like, "just eat it so she'll shut up". Next thing I know I'm eating nachos and I'm not even hungry. Blah. I'm so weak!

Edited by MrRiceGuy

Wow, how come she's more important than you are? So what if she screams, crys or wets her pants. Where are your priorities? Sound harsh? Well someone has to stick up for what you're worth.

I eat most lunches in restaraunts and have since I started this journey. That's no excuse. Choose for you not for someone else.

You haven't messed up your band so there is nothing to worry about there. But do yourself a favor and don't spend the time or money on a fill if you're just going to drink and let others rule the roost.

This trip is not one where you have to "not live". You can have a non-carbonated drink from time to time but count the calories. Also, what's wrong with people knowing you've been banded. Everyone here at work and in my life knows. I hope that by letting everyone ask their questions maybe someone else will feel free to go and get the help I did. If someone thinks that I took the easy way out, bully for them. I took the way that worked out. If they have a problem, it is their problem.

I don't mean to be harsh but you really need to put you first here. You did this for you and you really are worth it.

Vicki

I was eating too much (and eating too much sugar) once I was allowed to eat real food. More recently I have cut out all processed sugar and started counting my calories ... I've also recently gotten a fill that has helped my hunger TREMENDOUSLY.

I would encourage you to, while it's hard to turn down those delicious foods (and drinks), try your hardest to do that. You are only one month out, so I think you should make sure you're eating what your doctor wants. Also, don't drink too much alcohol as you are still healing.

This was the worst time for me as I didn't have a fill and didn't feel any restriction, so I know how difficult it is to turn down tempting food.

You can always tell your friends you aren't that hungry or your can nurse a drink rather than drink a couple. Just remember you feel the affects of the calories you eat/drink - not your friends.

Good luck!

okay, maybe i exaggerate what i'm intaking because what i'm taking in is worst than what i usually take. here's an example for today, i had an order of buffalo wings, I ate 5 of them, and had a long island ice tea. I also had a couple fries (picking at them). I'm upset because I'm eating this crap vs healthy stuff.

As for drinking, I nurse a 1-2 drinks all night while everyone else downs several beers. I just hate how people start calling me out when they're drunk and I'm trying not to come off as "lame".

I don't know. I do appreciate the support you all are giving me and hope that I'm not the worst bandster ever.

Sounds like a nightmare trip to me- I am so glad I told everyone about my band but if I hadn't I don't think I would feel obliged to eat what other people are having just so they wouldn't notice.

Eating healthily on such a trip would be difficult even if you had admitted that you have been banded but tough though it is you have to think of yourself and your health a bit more.

hopefully you will be home soon so you can get your fill and start eating healthy.

hey mrriceguy, (sorry for the super long post ahead!)

dont be so hard on yourself. lets be honest, we all got to this place because we are weaker than others when it comes to eating and drinking in social situations. certainly it will take you some time to figure it out and will take the proper motivation to get over every hump you have.

as for me-- i lost a nice amount of weight in the first 3 weeks or so, then my body healed so i had no restriction. i got a fill at 4 weeks, but it wasnt quite good enough yet. it was christmas time and new years, and everyone knows that month has more social situations with eating and drinking than any other time of year! i disappointed myself some in those two weeks, as i was back at my parents house where i dont have a gym membership, and back with some old friends who insisted on eating crap food all the time and drinking. it was hard at first for me, bc it was the first time i had been in those situations since being banded. the worst night i had food-wise was new years, i had absolutely no restriction and no self-control and drank, and ate a ton of mozzarella sticks and pizza!

i felt so guilty, kind of like you are feeling, but then i went back to my normal routine and schedule and got another fill. luckily, i hadnt gained any weight over the holidays, but i had only lost about a pound in those 3 or so weeks. i found the motivation in myself to exercise more and eat healthier, and was surprised at how fast people forgot the "old" drinking and eating jane. one friend even said at lunch "oh yeah- i forgot you were a slow eater!" yeah right, i was usually the first to lick my plate! i never ate salads before, but now i have one almost every day or so, and i have grilled chicken or some sort of lean beef in small portions instead of fast food or fried anything.

anyways, you can see from my ticker that around the time i got focused on eating better and exercising more, i have steadily lost a little over 2 lbs a week. i havent been doing anything CRAZY! in fact, at this point only 3 months later i dont think i am doing anything abnormal from my usual routine, because this IS my life now. just eating only when im hungry (which is a lot less often now that i have REALLY good restriction!) and walking everywhere.

anyways, i hope that you soon learn to kick your old habits so that you can get to losing that weight. and get the proper restriction- you deserve some help, thats why you went through the pain of having the surgery ... so take advantage of it! good luck, i know you will find your own way soon!

How about telling people you're trying to loose weight by eating less and exercising more? Fortunately with the band we loose at a reasonable enough rate that we can say that and (if you're more comfortable not telling anyone about the band) pull it off.

What usually works for me is to simply ask the waiter quietly to remove the tray from the table. Or ask them to bring a to go box and put the leftovers in it. Your friend/coworker can have them later.

My friends are mostly drinkers and they hardly ever notice when I do this. They are too busy whooping and hollering to pay attention!

i know how you feel because i am constantly put in these situations because of my friends, most of whom dont know ive been banded.

they always want to go out to the bar and eat crap food. at first they would ask "hey lauren u want a wing or some fries or some mozzarella sticks" and i would just say no, that i already ate, that im watching my weight, etc. they were persistent for a while telling me that one wing wouldnt hurt etc etc, but by now, a month+ later they have just stopped asking. i know its hard because at our age its normal to go out and socialize but its a commitment that we've made and i try my best to stick to it. you shouldnt worry about what others think of you.

im no saint though, and i have drank a few times. one or two drinks over a course of the night, i factor the calories into my daily intake, and i try not to beat myself up over it.

try not to feel guilty, and just try and be strong. if some drunk girl is forcing you to eat her food, tell her to shut the eff up. or if you are nicer than i am, just say no. people might tease you or talk about you at first, but after a while they'll give up.

like jane said, take advantage of this new tool youve been given! good luck

I'm starting to realize it's my own weakness giving into the pressure and trying not to change the good ol' times. In my group I've always been the "frank the tank" kind of guy, and now I'm so conservative at the bars which draws a lot of attention in my circle.

I do appreciate all the advice. I've been following every trick mentioned and it's helping me get through this week of travel. I just want to get my fill next weekend and be back on liquids. That way I'm not as hungry all the time.

MrRice-

I'm going to tell you something possibly more hurtful than all the posts I've just read, but I'm just brutely honest.... ready??....

MAKE NEW FRIENDS or SHOW YOUR FRIENDS who you really are. I have only been banded a little over a week, I already went out for drinks because doctor said it was okay. Most of my friends are male, and they were out to get "F*ed up" on this particular night, buying shot after shot, shoving them in my face,... MAINLY jagerbombs- redbull=NONO! OOHH man, im the girl always hanging right up there with the guys, and as soon as they set those down, This is what I said "ugghh I really want to but I cant, i wish i could! I'll pretend!haha" so i did the cheers, while they all downed it I took a sip of my vodka cran. THE END. NO ONE EVEN ASKED WHY. Later on, they were drunk, ordered me another one, said I cant... aww come one why not, because it's full of sugar and carbonation- thats why! thank you though, u can buy me another vodka cran!!!

Easy Peasy! If you cant do that with your friends, they ARE NOT friends. For Real! You gotta show them who's BOSS! haha, if anyone, and I've had it happen BEFORE being banded, sits there and throws a tantrum because I wont drink with them or take such and such shot, or i slow down drinking and they want me to keep up chuggin all night, those people KNOW I wont tollerate that, I would never pressure my friends into doing anything they dont feel like. Whether they dont feel like it because theyre in a bad mood, or just cuz! So they KNOW not to mess with me :0)

Stand your ground buddy! And your friends will respect you more... everyone will. And I would throw nachos in my friends face if they yelled at me like that ;0)

Good luck!

I just hate how people start calling me out when they're drunk and I'm trying not to come off as "lame".

So what? They're drunk and probably won't remember anyway. :ohmy:

The lame ones are the ones trying to force "the big guy" to finish off their slop, don'tcha think?

Also, do YOU feel lame for not being forced into doing something you don't want to do, or do you feel lame for giving in to the pressure. I think I know your answer. :lol: