Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reached goal WITHOUT a Fill?!?!?!?!

i dont get my first fill for another 7 weeks & i have spoken to my bariatric nurse today & she said if i keep losing the weight like i am doing then they wont prob give me a fill either, she couldnt praise me enough for putting in the effort for losing the weight,

i am not hungry at all, im doing everything right she said,

to be honest having the surgery frightened the life out of me & i made a promise to myself i was going to take this very seriously & do everything by the book & so far i think i have been very blessed...

i know some people have said until they get their first fill they can eat big portions & pretty much anything..i would be concerned to stretch the new stomach? & blow my chances for good...

well done to wstorms for your weight loss so far.. you have done great & wish you all the luck for the future :cursing:

Yes, it is possible. I know of someone who made it to goal and did not have one single fill. It is kind of hard to belive. But it is true and can be done!

Good luck to you and if you do find yourself at the point were you need a fill, by all means....get it and continue to use your band as your tool.

lucy

Thank you for all of your posts! I am glad to know there is a possibility of this. I know there are probably very few that have reached goal without a fill, but at least I now know it is possible :cursing:!

Now..... if I need a fill, by all means I will get a fill :). I am a self-pay, and believe me I did not pay all of this money to not do what is needed to reach my goal.

Thanks again to all, and keep up the great work!!!

I think the main thing is: we're all different. If you are cruising along and losing without a fill, why mess with what works?

Me, I needed to curb the hunger. I was still losing well before I got restriction, but getting restriction meant I didn't have to combat hunger anymore, and that's what I wanted the band to do. So I got fills everytime hunger started to creep back in within an hour of a meal. And now I'm at the point I hardly think about what goes in my mouth anymore. In fact I often forget to eat.

I don't think it's necessarily BAD to get fills. If you need them, you need them - after all, we're all after the same tihng: to lose weight. Alternatively, I don't think it's any more exceptional to NOT get a fill. You just work the band to suit yourself, so that you too ultimately get to that same goal of losing the weight.

I think ANY success should be appreciated.

Most people will need fills. But I went 3 months before having my first, before hunger started to creep in. And even with fills, I have NEVER been able to replicate the superb restriction I had in those first 12 weeks.

Whilst you dont need one, you'd be silly to have one. But bear in mind, as you lose fat around your stomach, the band loosens. As you say, its working for you now, well the likelihood is your stomach will get smaller (due to less fat padding) and it wont continue to work for you. You'll need to get a fill to maintain the same restriction, not necessarily to increase restriction.

But you're on the right track. You're realising that the weight loss comes from you, not from the band.

What a load of BS! That's why you see so many people on here talking about sliming and PB'ing. Instead of using it as a tool, they use it as a crutch. Good job to the original poster for using the band the way it was intended. If you are still losing there is NO reason to get a fill.

I am happy that the person has not had to have a fill. Currently, there is no restriction. If you can get to your goal without a fill, then the band is not being utilized and the person could of saved the time, expense, and pain without having the tool installed. The surgery caused this person to have a mindset change, but this could of been done without the surgery if the person achieves the goal weight without any fills. I hope the person achieves her goal weight without a fill. I would like for you to tell me how I was sliming and PB'ing this individual.

I am happy that the person has not had to have a fill. Currently, there is no restriction. If you can get to your goal without a fill, then the band is not being utilized and the person could of saved the time, expense, and pain without having the tool installed. The surgery caused this person to have a mindset change, but this could of been done without the surgery if the person achieves the goal weight without any fills. I hope the person achieves her goal weight without a fill. I would like for you to tell me how I was sliming and PB'ing this individual.

texas, sliming and PB'ng (Productive Burp) are terms used here to describe what bandsters endure from eating too fast or too big bites, or simply being too tight. She wasn't using it in the way you thought.

The OP never said she didn't have restriction. She DOES have restriction without a fill. I HAD restriction before my first fill (though it didn't last long), and there are a great many who do. Because you did not does not mean that is how it is for everyone.

If you already have manageable restriction with your band, and you are not hungry too soon between meals then there is no good reason to get your band any tighter. Those are the only two things the band is designed to do. It is not meant for you to choke on your food and prevent you from eating or even drinking. I have known people to be so tight they couldn't even drink.

Sometimes if you chance it too much, you can prevent yourself from ever finding that sweet spot.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, better to take your time, get small fills or none at all if you don't need it. It in NO WAY means you never needed the band in the first place.

If I could clarify, she was not saying That YOU were sliming and Pb'ing this individual. Especially since that would be impossible unless you are one of those ectoplasm thingies like on ghostbusters. :unsure: I think the responses you are getting are a result of your negativity. Where is it your place to tell the OP that she didn't need the surgery or that she could have changed her mindset without the surgery, I agree 100 percent that going to the trouble and expense of the surgery for SOME people is what causes them to change lifelong bad habits and as we know the band represents a lifestyle change not just a diet. And as a side note the OP DOES have restriction without a fill just by having the band in place.

Diva, thanks for enlightening Tex :laugh:. Also, in addition to the band itself causing restriction in some, some surgeons actually add saline at the time of surgery.

If I could clarify, she was not saying That YOU were sliming and Pb'ing this individual. Especially since that would be impossible unless you are one of those ectoplasm thingies like on ghostbusters. :unsure:

OOoooo, wouldn't that be fun if we COULD do that TO people? HAHA :mellow:

I went without my 1st fill 6 months months. The weight came off fast like you are doing 1-2 lbs 1st 6months then it slowed down alot. I am not saying this will happen to you but it could. Don't be discouraged if you don't reach your goal wthout a fill. It is really hard. I am still not at my goal

and I had surgery May 16th 2007 but I am close. Got luck!!!!:rolleyes:

Seriously Tex ?? Come on you just had surgery yourself on the 6th are you telling me that as of right this second you do not feel any restriction when you eat,and if you do not (I won't presume)you can't imagine ANYONE in this whole world that received the band could possibly feel restriction three months post op???......I also would not presume that you have a lot more reading on the tool you just installed on your insides...BTW My surgon Dr. Debarros in Phoenix also had lapband a year ago and has lost 100 pounds with NO fill.....Most surgon's apply a soft fill at surgery AND there is also different SIZES of the band ...which is put in, is at the discretion of the DR. AND furthermore..everyones Stomach is also a "different" size...Hence the different size bands..as you can see there are a lot of factors in how people lose weight with the LapBand..Not ONE person here will lose weight at the same rate as another, not even eating the same foods...Sounds like someone feels guilty for taking the "easy" way out themselves. Or just mad because they had to get a fill two weeks after surgery.............. I'll stop ectoplasmaing everywhere now..

Edited by V-Queen

If you can reach your goal without a fill, then there was no need in getting the surgery.

I was thinking the same thing. If someone is able to follow the rules (diet) then they didn't need the band.

But on the other hand...maybe mentally they required 'surgery' for them to diet...kinda like a placebo but this time they had to go under for it.

But whatever- it's great! The band works for all types of people-even those who don't need it.

What you're missing is that people CAN and do have restriction without a fill for quite some time. Like I said, with 2.7 ml in my 4ml band I still cannot replicate the kind of restriction I had with NO fill for 3 months after surgery.

Its not simply to do with making the mental adjustment because you had the surgery. The OP herself says that she cant eat as much as prior to surgery. she does have restriction, she's simply asking whether this could possibly last and she'll never need a fill.

That's possible - but unlikely. But suggesting someone didnt need the surgery is a bit rich. How about we say that WHEN the person has lost all their weight and WHEN they have kept it off for a good 20 years?