Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I've been reading these forums in anticipation of my own surgery which is scheduled for March 16th. I apologize if this topic has been mentioned before, but I wonder how many of you drink coffee? I have given it up for my pre op diet and I know I won't be able to have it initially, but I'd love to have it eventually. I drink mine with a teaspoon of non dairy powder and a packet of splenda or sweet and low.

I quit coffee for the first month post surgery bt now have a cup or two with skim milk. (used to have light cream so the skim milk has been an adjustment)

I read here about not having coffee, so I cut back to half and half Decaf, and then went back to it. My doctor never said dont drink it, so I figured why give it up just because folks on here posted they did.

I hear it might increase your appetite .... Ill overcome, not the biggest deal.

I have had great sucess with my band and I never gave up coffee at all. I used to have it with cream and sugar but switched to just a little skim milk. I often make a Protein shake in the morning with my coffee, skim milk and a scoop of vanilla Protein Powder. I NEED my coffee one way or another to get my day stared!

My Dr never told me I had to give it up. He told me to increase my Water intake by a cup for each cup of coffee to counter dehydration.

I have not had my operation yet - I am still on the waiting list - but I have never heard or read anywhere that I have to give up coffee. In all my reading that the surgeon gave me (including a huge 150 page book written specifically about lap-banding) it actualy says to drink coffee and tea as long as you do not have sugar. They only specify that you must stick to zero calorie drinks and that fizzy drinks might cause you some pain.

Why did they say that you cannot have coffee? I will die if I can't have coffee!!!!!! :confused: Or soemone else will because, without coffee, my bad mood might cause me to murder! :confused:

Cheers! Diva

I drink coffee each morning.

I think that since there is limited room in the new pouch, some docs don't want patients to fill up on coffee and empty calories. Most lapbanders I've spoken to still drink coffee, just less of it.

Hey girl! So excited about your surgery! Congrats on making the first step on changing the rest of your life. I myself stayed far away from coffee for about three months after my surgery. Every now and then I get myself a Skinny vanilla Latte from Starbucks. I believe the calorie count on those bundles of goodness are 110 for a grande. Don't quote me on that though. I only have those for the really bad mornings when I can't get myself going. I wouldn't drink too much as they are wasted calories, but every now and then it would kill you.:confused:

As for as i am concerned, take one cup of coffee in the morning not more than that. Furthermore you can take prescription from your doctor as well.

Caffeine CAN stimulate the appetite in some, suppress it in some, do nothing to some. My doc had it on the forbidden list, but when I asked and was told "because it stimulates the appetite", I knew it didn't do that to me. I added coffee and iced tea back in about 2-3 months post op. I went without it for the long preop diet I had, and post op until after my 1st fill.

I always make sure to get in the required 64 oz (at least) Water a day, though, in addition to my coffee and iced tea.

My doc says Decaf only. Like RestlessMonkey he says caffeine is an appetite stimulant and a diuretic. I rarely drink coffee - actually prefer it in a skinny decaf latte if I'm going to have it, so I only have a cup of decaf rarely.

Edited by bambam

I never gave up coffee either. I use SF FrenchVanilla coffeemate in mine. I have 2-3 cups every morning, and if i'm on a weird shift, another 2 maybe at work. You just need to know how it affects you. I can't eat in the mornings right away, and the hot liquid stops my tummy from growling until I can eat a late Breakfast. It may be a diuretic, but if you're getting enough Water in it won't matter.

Thank you guys so much for all your insightful replies. I spoke to the dietician and she says that coffee with a little coffee mate shouldn't affect me in any way. One more week to go and I'm anxious to start my new way of life.

I used to drink alot of coffee and used it primary as part of my 64 ounces so I have cut back.

Not long ago I started using cream or half and half in my coffee so since I no longer drink just black I have curtailed my coffee to no more than a cup in the morning.

This comes right from the nutrition guideline book given to me by my nutritionist at the Bariatric Center:

"Caffeinated beverages are gastric irritants and dehydrating. They should be avoided the

first few months after surgery"

I am almost 5 weeks post op and I have started drinking coffee again; in the morning I use a french press travel mug to make just the right amount, adding 1/2 cup 1% milk. Thats enough to satisfy my craving for the rest of the day, and I get some dairy Protein in. I just have to be sure I'm also getting enough Water during the rest of the day.