Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breakfast Ideas

Hi Everybody -

I am looking for some Breakfast ideas. I have been banded since April of 2008 and I need to mix things up a little bit.

I will take as many ideas as I can get...

Thanks

I used to eat scrambled eggs with turkey sausage and cheese all mixed together. It was really good and very filling. But ever since my 1st fill (Feb 4) I can't usually eat Breakfast now because I'm so tight. The last couple of days though I've been having yogurt for breakfast.

I could really use some new ideas for breakfast, too. Especially now that I'm tight. I hope this helped you out a little bit. Good luck!

I am really boring with my breakfast & stick to porridge (Oatmeal) made with skimmed milk with some fruit, either fresh or dried. It goes down really well and fills me up until lunchtime.

I have half a well toasted whole grain english muffin with Peanut Butter. I can't handle too much in the mornings either. A yogurt and a south beach high Protein bar is my favorite breakfast. I also like Kash GoLean crunch Cereal in my yogurt, it's very high in Protein.< /p>

I do make homemade egg/sausage/cheese mcmuffins occasionally though. My husband and kids like them too.

Spray a small bowl(about the same diameter as the muffin) with pam. Scramble an egg in it with a fork and cut in a little precooked sausage or bacon (I micro my meat first on papertowels to squeeze out grease, then put it in the egg). Micro for 50-55 seconds. Put on a well toasted whole grain em with a slice of lowfat cheese. Good breakfast on the go. Can be reheated even if you want to save half for your lunch.

I make a variety of Eggbeater omlets-very low fat and almost 0 cholesterol and lots of Protein. My favorites are:

• Ham and cheese
  • Swiss cheese, fresh spinach and mushrooms
  • Cheese and salsa (I will roll the omlet in 1/2 whole wheat tortilla if I am not too tight)

On days that I don't want eggs I have a high protein cold Cereal with skim milk or oatmeal cooked in skim milk with berries or raisins. But cereal doesn't always keep me going all morning.

I am pretty boring when it comes to breakfast - oatmeal with honey and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Occasionally I will have a scrambled egg with cheese, but I usually don't have time. I have had a hard time with eggs after this last fill.

i am usually very tight in the mornings and am tempted to just skip breakfast and survive on morning coffee. i have however come up with a pretty good morning smoothie.

1 cup chocolate soy milk

1 tablespoon Peanut Butter

1/2 a banana

1 scoop frozen yogurt to thicken

the recipe can easily be tweaked to taste (capacinno frozen yogurt instead of chocolate for example) or made thicker or lighter depending on the kind of day your having

depending on the brand you use one serving is about 200-250 calories........hope this helps

also if you can tolerate fruit on an empty stomach you can try

1 cup frozen fruit (usually a 5 fruit mix or a 5 berry mix, depending on what you like)

1 cup orange juice

1 scoop orange sorbet to thicken

this recipe is about 150 calories........hope this helps

Edited by dakotah1

One breakfast I learned here that is so yummy is oatmeal with Peanut Butter and maple Syrup.< /p>

I use rolled oats (I think you call them steel cut) NOT processed quick cook oats which ironically actually take longer to cook in the microwave than the non processed ones.

I take 1/3 of a cup of oats, mix with 2/3 cup skim milk, microwave for about 2 minutes, then stir in a big spoonful of Peanut Butter and some maple syrup - or I use golden syrup, not sure you guys have it? Its delish and it REALLY sticks with you till lunch.

Im probably the odd one out in that I like a carb based breakfast - either oatmeal, good quality wholegrain stoneground toast with peanut butter or vegemite, muesli. I'm not a fan of eggs and such in the morning, they dont fill me and they dont keep me from being hungry. I tend to use a LOT of energy and often run in the morning so I burn off the carbs.

I am very boring the same thing every morning (but I like it)

Quaker Oatmeal - usually the brown sugar one. I can not eat first thing in the morning. I wait until I get to work at 8am and eat it.

First thing I have is a cup of green tea! Then I mix 1/2 cup of egg whites (60 calories) and two tablespoons of Tostitos creamy spinach dip (20 calories) together and scramble it in a non-stick pan. If I am still hungry I can add a 1/2 slice wheat bread or some fruit. Good for the solid or mushy stage.< /p>

I have carnation instant breakfast. I bring a gallon of skim milk to work every 2 weeks and a box of carnation instant breakfast and i make that first thing in the morning and it tides me over until lunch.< /p>

so just a question if you are to "tight" in the morning, does that mean you are also not hungry? Or are you still hungry but you just can't eat?

so just a question if you are to "tight" in the morning, does that mean you are also not hungry? Or are you still hungry but you just can't eat?

Personally I am not "hungry" as in tummy growling but more like hungry as in I need nutrition, kinda feel run down or low on energy. My nutritionist said that it is important to "break your fast" by eating breakfast within the first hour of rising. I am always tight in the morning. I have always been able to manage solid food for breakfast (as in eggs or oatmeal) but some mornings it really takes work to get it down.

One breakfast I learned here that is so yummy is oatmeal with Peanut Butter and maple Syrup.

I use rolled oats (I think you call them steel cut) NOT processed quick cook oats which ironically actually take longer to cook in the microwave than the non processed ones.

I take 1/3 of a cup of oats, mix with 2/3 cup skim milk, microwave for about 2 minutes, then stir in a big spoonful of Peanut Butter and some maple syrup - or I use golden syrup, not sure you guys have it? Its delish and it REALLY sticks with you till lunch.

Im probably the odd one out in that I like a carb based breakfast - either oatmeal, good quality wholegrain stoneground toast with peanut butter or vegemite, muesli. I'm not a fan of eggs and such in the morning, they dont fill me and they dont keep me from being hungry. I tend to use a LOT of energy and often run in the morning so I burn off the carbs.

Jachut-

Just to be difficult. Rolled oats are the whole oat all flattened. They've been steamed and pressed under rollers. We North Americans call those "oats" for the most part or "old fashioned" oats. They cook on the stove in 5 minutes.

You have the instant oats which are found in packet typically and they have been steamed, rolled, cut and processed to death, but personally work in a pinch for me. Just add hot Water or microwave.

Steel cut oatmeal is also called Irish Oats and they haven't been steamed nor flattened, just cut. They take 30 minutes to boil and are a 1 cup of oats to 3 cups of Water ratio. They are by far the most delicious of all the oats. Or you can boil them the night before then put them in the fridge over night. They will only need 5 minutes in the morning.

There are Scottish oats too, since I'm writing a disteration on oatmeal, and I'm not exactly sure how they differ but they do.

With all that being said, when you come across Irish or Steel Cut oats buy them and try them. You will be delighted.

Oh, and add cream of wheat to my hot breakfast favorites too. Farina it's called in some parts of the world.

Juli-former Chef-Foodie.