Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet?

Hey Guys

I'm getting nervous about my pre-op diet. Unfortunately it falls on my birthday - so am trying to think of other things that are non food and alcohol related to lavish upon myself! Have come up with spending the day at a spa and having 100 different types of massages -will be great!:)

Anyway, there seems to be a difference in pre-op diet approaches. My Doc has me on Optifast from the 19th March to the 2nd which is potentially my operation date.

4 sachets a day, plus 1 cup of veges at night. Nothing else, for two weeks. I am a little scared!!:)

He says that the liquid Optifast sucks all the fat from the liver the best - and there is a risk of the liver rupturing when they lift it if it is still infiltrated with fat - so I am really worried about messing it up and then either having complications or them not being able to do the surgery cos I am useless!!

What is happening with all of you guys?

I've learned that every doctor is different, and it's really best to follow what your surgeon requires.

Mine wants me to do a two-week liquid diet, 1000 calories/day. I don't get the specifics until my next appointment, but the general idea is that it's pretty similar to the first two weeks after the surgery. That way my body gets used to all liquid AND it vastly decreases the fat in the liver.

The only prob is - if I'm keeping it quiet at work, how am I supposed to explain a liquid diet for two weeks?? Maybe I'll tell them it's some kind of master cleanse or something... My lunch buddy will be so bummed (haven't told him about the surgery and I'm not sure when/if I will). But then again, he'll have to get used to eating lots of food without me!

My pre-op diet started today 3/18 anc consists of Bariatric Advantage shake for Breakfast and lunch. If I want a AM snack it is to be 6 oz Tomato juice or low cal vit c fruit juice. At night I can make dinner or some of the low card ww meals, lean cruisine, etc. PM snack can be 1 oz cheese and fruit, or yogurt and nuts, or another Protein Shake. I was a bit hungry come dinner time tonight but I think this will be liveable. Only 26 more shakes still surgery.

The only prob is - if I'm keeping it quiet at work, how am I supposed to explain a liquid diet for two weeks?? Maybe I'll tell them it's some kind of master cleanse or something...

I am on day 1 of the pre-op - and I have told everyone at work I am doing a detox that my personal trainer has me on and that two weeks are crazy but its 6 weeks without alcohol and being very strict - which will help me out with any team lunches post-op. My Boss may have been a bit suss though as he was trying to give me fruit and telling me my "detox" was ridiculous and i will end up hypoglycemic and "what moron thought this up":eek: etc. hahha I was like "no, its fine!!":laugh:

Day four nearly over! Only ten more to go!!

Feeling hungry and really want a pie! but am getting there! Starting to get very excited about the operation!!

How is everyone else doing/???:)

Well I am at the end of day five... I have been ok until this afternoon, the winds are blowing here and my allergies kicked in big time. I wanted to just stay in and eat and it got in my head. I did not cave though I took a long nap and I felt much better aside from the allergies. Well going to bed and looking forward to 4/1 which is getting closer day by day.

Yep!! Day five nearly over for me!! yippie... almost half way there! Good on you MF4 for not caving in. Sometimes a sleep is a good escape. I found though that I am alright if not around the sweeeeet goodness of bad food, and I have got something (water/coffee/optifast/veges) in my tummy. Hang in there... Counting down (im the 2nd April)

My doctor has said he doesnt know if he will require a preop diet or not, that he doesnt think they are needed. I think I might do one on my own accord just to shrink my liver for my peace of mind.

A good tip for any Protein shake drinkers for pre-op

Use a straw (means you don't taste it as much)

Use a blender (lumps suck)

Use ice whenever you can! makes it feel like a treat!!:frown:

ok I am on day 7 of my pre op liquid diet and I have survived and lost 10lbs. yeah me!!! I am feeling much better and I think that it is true after 5 days or so your body forgets about chewing and eating..hmm if i had only figured this out sooner:). Well the 1st is almost here and I am so excited. Also note on using straws for shakes. My nutritionist says no straws after surgery?? to much of and irritant to your new stomach with the air going in first. I cut out straws, caffeine, gum, carbonation, and sunflower seeds about 3 months ago in prep for this so it would not be such a shock to the system with withdraws.

I've heard the same about straws, caffeine and carbonation but what is the reasoning behind gum and sunflower seeds? I love me some gum! that will make me truly sad lol

I've heard the same about straws, caffeine and carbonation but what is the reasoning behind gum and sunflower seeds? I love me some gum! that will make me truly sad lol

The gum thing she said causes you to swallow more air?? I miss my gum and straws the most I think. Sunflower seeds she said are hard to chew to the consistency we need to be swallowing so they are now suggested. Loved them while driving with my diet coke. Now its just me and the radio but thats ok.

Yeah I'm sad about no gum, how can I conquer ye ole oral fixation? I've also heard that gum increases air intake which isn't good.

Keep up the great work Bandster Bunnies! I'm getting close to finallyyyyy submitting for approval. Keep your fingers crossed!

Yeah I'm sad about no gum, how can I conquer ye ole oral fixation? I've also heard that gum increases air intake which isn't good.

Keep up the great work Bandster Bunnies! I'm getting close to finallyyyyy submitting for approval. Keep your fingers crossed!

God luck with your approval. Also ice breakers sugar free mints are a great substitute for the gum. they even have a fruity flavor one. hope that helps.