Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this hunger normal?

I was banded on the 17th of this month. (feb.) I have been STARVING! My stomach growls all of the time and I feel like I am in hellso hungry! Does this get any better? Is it normal to be this hungry in the liquid stage? Should I see my doctoe about this?

I was banded on the 17th of this month. (feb.) I have been STARVING! My stomach growls all of the time and I feel like I am in hellso hungry! Does this get any better? Is it normal to be this hungry in the liquid stage? Should I see my doctoe about this?

I was banded yesterday and i'm pretty damn hungry too. But I think we should consider ourselves lucky because there are some people out there that are so restricted they can't even swallow Water. I know I will be able to move onto Protein shakes on tuesday. I'm just waiting for Tuesday!

I am hungry too. I was banded on Monday, the 16th. I am living off of Tomato bisque, yogurt, popsicles, Jello, and Water. I tasted the inside of my daughter's burrito (stuck my finger inside it) and it was delish! The meat and cheese was of mush constitancy...I sucked on it for a long time and then spit it out.

So, I totally understand. I can't wait until I get to chew something again. Hopefully the next few weeks of healing will go fast.

Starting weight 254 lbs

Current weight 238 lbs

Goal weight 145 lbs

Weight lost 16lbs

Things get easier on the mushies stage. Keep looking forward to it. Remember that this is about healing right now...you don't want to deal with any nasty complications. My wife's food processor has become my new best friend :) What's the family having for dinner? Lasagna...NO PROBLEM...WHRRRRRRR...DING! Instant mushie lasagna :) Keep your eye on the prize...it'll all be worth it.

Thanks Guy. I do look foward to whizzing up what the family is having. I am supposed to be able to have casseroles that have been diluted with broth or milk and WWWHHHHZZZDD but its just nasty.

Thank goodness its not forever.

I do find that I can remember taste well and I can imagine its taste...very sensual. I remember being a kid living on the farm and going to McDs was a treat, so that cheeseburger actually tasted good. Not like it does these days. So I see a stupid commercial, I imagine that old taste. And to be honest, I haven't had McDs for years, I can't stand them. I am a Chipolte fan!! But I can just taste whatever it is on TV. I think I need to go back to work and stop watching tv...recovering from surgery for a week has only made me watch tv too much! Being around kids at the school will cure me of that!

For me at about day 5, I was really hungry. At that point I went to the mushies, which helped a lot. Things get better as time goes on. Good luck

Hunger is very normal I had my surgery on Feb 9th and I am starving I can't move onto mushies until I see the doc on wed.I went grocery shopping today and every aisle I got more and more hungry. But I have been strong and haven't ate anything that I shouldn't figures crossed I stay that way.

Don't use the broth that comes in a can. Make some chicken Soup and let some of the vegetables dissolve. Then strain it and sip on it. Be creative. I had my 17 year old son cut up some potatoes into very very small squares and boil it in chicken broth from a can until the potatoes get very soft some should melt. Again strain and sip.

My husband and son boiled some flank steak they cut in small cubes. As soon as it came to a boil they changed the Water to get the brown foam that floats on top out (Rinse it to get it all out). Then add clean Water, cilantro, green onion, onion, season (i.e. garlic power, Lawrys, salt) zucchini, carrots, celery, and peeled potato in this order. Boil for 2 to 4 hours and add water as needed. Once this is almost all cooked add cabbage and boil for another 1/2 hour or so. You want the cabbage to start to melt. Then add a bag of frozen corn.

You want everything to boil until everything starts to melt. Use a mesh strainer to serve yourself and for the family have them add avocado and fresh lime juice to their bowl. If you plan on using it for you cream Soups take your juice and veggies out before you add the corn because the corn does not blend well. At that point you can add a bit of smashed avocado to yours as well. If it gets too thick add some can broth to yours and enjoy. Oh, the broth will change the taste.

The broth from this Soup is the best!!!! It is much more filling than can broth. I was so satisfied that I felt like I was cheating. I would have 2 or 3 ounces every half hour or so. It would fill me up and I was satisfied. The canned broth on the other hand, I could only stomach so much of it because of the taste.

Be creative. My husband also boiled some can broth with Pasta and potatoes. I drank the broth and it was great. My son and his friend eat the Pasta, potatoes, and the broth and his friend said Campbells should be as good.

Good luck and happy banding!!! It will get better.

Well, I was banded 2-18-09, and I am still hungry. I can start eating cream of mushroom Soup, etc.. tomorrow, so I can't wait!!! I also have been battling hunger pains, but I haven't tried anything I shouldn't due to the fear of being in pain.

I added mushies a week sooner then I was suppose to. I just could not do it any longer. 2 weeks is way too long to me on liquids!

This hunger is absolutely normal for the majority of us.

I wouldn't suggest changing the progression of your diet without speaking with your doctor and getting the OK. However, doctors do sometimes allow you to progress a little quicker if you are very hungry.

I did 2 weeks liquids post-op and due to an intestinal infection (not related to surgery) I skipped the mushie stage all together and went to full solids. I don't have any restruction so I didn't have any problem. I ended up in the hospital and treated for dehydration because of the C-Diff infection. My Doctor was ok with me skipping the mushies...