Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long on post-op diet?

From what I understand, if your band slipped nothing would be going down. I would not worry.

I knew someone that slipped their band. They were vomiting constantly and were heading into starvation mode fast.

Hey vala - i just noticed your ticker and I'm starting at exactly the same weight as you. Not sure how tall you are - I'm 5'4". Your losing 23 lbs in 2.5 weeks is really amazing! Congrats to you!

My PCP made sure that I picked up some gatorade so I was able to get my electrolytes up.

Honestly the first few days my stomach growled but I wasn't really hungry. Now, two weeks later, I have to make sure that I drink a shake before I get hungry. I kinda sip on them all day long. This way I get my Protein in and I don't become famished. That's the only way I've been able to get along without feeling like I'm starving.

Great advice - I'll have to get some gatorade for that reason. I hope that you get your fill soon - when are you scheduled for that? By then you should be able to move onto more food and feel better -but also not be famished!!

I am 4 days post op, and I tell ya I finally started havin an appeite..I had done that liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery and now I am suppose to do 2weeks after surgery.. Ummm, sorry but I am hungry..I have been drinkin the GNC iso Protein Shake and using the powder mix Vitamins. My mom brought some chicken and pastry and peas over today,and she bought me a Magic Bullet(food blender) I put some peas in that thing and it literally made it into a liquid and I ate that..I felt fine and actually got to use the restroom..If ya know what I mean, cause I havent since the surgery, But I didnt have any problem with keepin that down..I think if your body is lackin it definetly is gonna let you know..I was real weak and lightheaded 3days after my surgery..I know those liquids are tough and to me it seems like there isnt enough nurtients in them to help..But I am gonna see my dr this friday for my post op follow up and talk to him..See what I can do about gettin the mushies up to a week earlier..

MrRiceguy - what is your daily caloric intake? what are your liquids for you personally - as you say you feel great? I'm really worried about my energy level plummeting after surgery.

I'm really bad on counting calories. When I stick to straight liquids and Protein shakes and such only, I'm at about 800 calories. When I'm actually taking in mushies and real food, I'm probably more like 1200 calories a day. But I'm super high in Protein, 100g minimum. Taking multi-Vitamins and Calcium everyday too.

I am 4 days post op, and I tell ya I finally started havin an appeite..I had done that liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery and now I am suppose to do 2weeks after surgery.. Ummm, sorry but I am hungry..I have been drinkin the GNC iso Protein shake and using the powder mix Vitamins. My mom brought some chicken and pastry and peas over today,and she bought me a Magic Bullet(food blender) I put some peas in that thing and it literally made it into a liquid and I ate that..I felt fine and actually got to use the restroom..If ya know what I mean, cause I havent since the surgery, But I didnt have any problem with keepin that down..I think if your body is lackin it definetly is gonna let you know..I was real weak and lightheaded 3days after my surgery..I know those liquids are tough and to me it seems like there isnt enough nurtients in them to help..But I am gonna see my dr this friday for my post op follow up and talk to him..See what I can do about gettin the mushies up to a week earlier..

Thanks for sharing Sommerbreez! I can completely understand why you feel so hungry! Smart of you to also get some nutrients in - and from food not just shakes, powers, and Vitamins. I think a mix of both must be healthy.

Does anyone know why appetite supressants aren't prescribed like the first 2-3 weeks after surgery - just to keep you from feeling overly hungry? Just wondered.

thanks again for sharing! Sommerbreez are you drinking 3 shakes a day? Are you feeling better everyday? Hope all is going well for you! Good Luck!

Hey vala - i just noticed your ticker and I'm starting at exactly the same weight as you. Not sure how tall you are - I'm 5'4". Your losing 23 lbs in 2.5 weeks is really amazing! Congrats to you!

That is so cool! I am 5'4" too! :rolleyes:

Good luck! We will have to compare notes!

On another note - My post op diet has been going MUCH better than I thought. Last week decided to try for a bit more "real food" I am supposed to be on the pureed stage until the end of next week.

I have been doing some experimenting and have discovered that I can eat anything. There is a trick to it. I take tiny bites and chew them thoroughly. While I am chewing, I swallow little bits at a time rather than the whole chewed up mouthful at once. Kinda like sipping but with food instead of liquids. I am also drinking Water or tea while I eat to help it go down. SIDENOTE: Drinking Water while you eat does not cause your pouch to swell. The reason they tell you not to do it is because more food can go through the band (think of liquid as food lube). This means that you would be able to take more food in as it is not all staying in the pouch.

OK - back to my original point: Soooo, this during the past week I have had eggs, cottage cheese, ribeye, baked fish, a little bite of a pita chip, baked Beans, cole slaw and a little bit of BBQ rib. I had very tiny quantities of each even though I was drinking while eating, roughly 2-3oz at a time but I was very satisfied. I did not get hungry after eating for at least 5 hours.

I stepped it up a little because I was doing a great deal of manual labor this past week (sawing, dragging limbs, walking 5+ miles a day). I felt like having some real food in my system fueled me up better and helped me keep up with my helpers.

Edited by Vala

Hey Vala! So glad you're feeling stronger and eating real food. Gives me some hope. I did one week prior to surgery on the liquid diet - and now all I want is something real to eat. I was banded ony Monday! 3/9/09. I'm glad to hear you're feeling stronger and able to do all the the things you have done already physically - w0w! Today is technicallly day 3 for me and they wanted me to be on Clear Liquids for a week but said i could go to full liquids on day 4 if I wanted to. I definitely want to. On the day of surgery, their scale said I was 224, I just weighed myself and my scale says 229.5. Who knows - I just have to convice myself that I need to be patient - its very hard as you know! LOL. I drank a protien shake - hopefully even though that isn't clear - it will give me some energy.

Keep up the great work girl! My next hurdle is going to be getting my butt in gear to work out or at least walk!! :mad2: Can't wait to hear more updates and how you're doing!

My surgeon recommended one day of clear liquids, two days full liquids, then one week of pureed foods (where I had my surgery they actually give a TV dinner type thing called Tre Puree for that week). He did say, however, that anything pureed would be fine for that week. How are your apetites after surgery? I can't bring myself to eat everything the nutritionists guide recommends and am lucky to get down a couple Protein Shakes and a few tablespoons of pureed stuff, not to mention the Water.< /p>

I'm glad to have all this wonderful information available to me from those who know what I am feeling/experiencing.

Thanks to all who contributed to this informative thread.

-EDIT-

I was annoyed at all the grumbling and complaining coming from my stomach so I decided to read the pamphlet given to me at the hospital.

It says the following:

Stage 1 Diet: Clear liquid diet (Week 1)

Stage 2 Diet: High Protein Liquid/Pureed Diet (Week 2)

Stage 3 Diet: Soft Solid Diet (Week 3)

Stage 4 Diet: Regular Diet (Week 4-8)

each stage has its own information on what to eat, how to eat it and such. I know I cant wait for my next stage as it only gets better than the last.

Hope that helps.

Ben

Edited by zwordz

Hey all, this is my fifth day post op and for the first three days I chicken/beef broth and Water throughout the day. The fourth and fifth day I pulverized "Avena Quaker Oatmeal" in a blender and scooped two tablespoons into fat free milk and splena cooked until liquid consistancy and ate 1 cup for Breakfast and sometimes had a cup for dinner if I had Soup for lunch. I was only able to do a cup on my fourth & fifth day. I also have SF pops for snack and mix V8 light flavored juice made with splenda with water. This helps me drink as much water as I can. Do you think that what I'm drinking/eating is bad being that I'm in my first week post banding?

I'm glad to have all this wonderful information available to me from those who know what I am feeling/experiencing.

Thanks to all who contributed to this informative thread.

-EDIT-

I was annoyed at all the grumbling and complaining coming from my stomach so I decided to read the pamphlet given to me at the hospital.

It says the following:

Stage 1 Diet: Clear liquid diet (Week 1)

Stage 2 Diet: High Protein Liquid/Pureed Diet (Week 2)

Stage 3 Diet: Soft Solid Diet (Week 3)

Stage 4 Diet: Regular Diet (Week 4-8)

each stage has its own information on what to eat, how to eat it and such. I know I cant wait for my next stage as it only gets better than the last.

Hope that helps.

Ben

Hey Ben! It will get better. You know its amazing how different the recommendations are. I was on clear liq one week, full liquids for 2 weeks, then solids in week 4 (which is this week for me).

I tried scrambled eggs twice, can't eat 'em. They get stuck in my throat. ugh. Same with a bananna muffin I tried. I find I tend to eat like I used to - not much chewing - and I get the lump in my throat and stop right then. Its like I have to burp but can't. Its terrible. And trying to drink to wash it down makes it worse. I know I've read that so many times on this board - now I understand.

When was your surgery date Ben? Best of luck to you!

Hey all, this is my fifth day post op and for the first three days I chicken/beef broth and Water throughout the day. The fourth and fifth day I pulverized "Avena Quaker Oatmeal" in a blender and scooped two tablespoons into fat free milk and splena cooked until liquid consistancy and ate 1 cup for breakfast and sometimes had a cup for dinner if I had Soup for lunch. I was only able to do a cup on my fourth & fifth day. I also have SF pops for snack and mix V8 light flavored juice made with splenda with Water. This helps me drink as much water as I can. Do you think that what I'm drinking/eating is bad being that I'm in my first week post banding?

Nessa, I don't think its bad. Just don't over do it. If you're hungry - try the protien shakes. I'm just concerned you're not getting enough protien in.

Hello LSN,

Thanks for your positive feedback and outlook on things.

My surgery was 03/25/09 and today I was at the Dr's office who graduated me to stage 2 foods... so I went shopping and had me some other choices... I am happy... I think I can be at this stage for some time without too much complaints. I plan on losing more weight while on this stage so I am not in a big rush to get out of it.

How are you doing on your weight loss journey?

Ben

I think that it is important to stay on liquids for as long as your Doc tells you to - mine says 2 weeks. Did not specify what kind, I am only one day post op and today I have had 1/4 cup pumpkin Soup & 2 cups of chocolate milk. The reason you need liquid is so that the band and stitches heal and don't slip. be careful!