Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your recovery time?

My surgery is in 2 days. I am wondering what everyone's recovery time was like. I work a desk job so I figure I will be back at work on Monday. Is this a reasonable goal?

My surgery is in 2 days. I am wondering what everyone's recovery time was like. I work a desk job so I figure I will be back at work on Monday. Is this a reasonable goal?

Is it at all possible you can get time off? I work at a desk job and while it may be possible (depending on you of course) to go back that soon, I myself needed more time.

I had surgeries before that were laproscopic and not nearly as invasive and still need more than two days off. Good luck on your surgery and take really great care of yourself!

There's no way I could have gone back to work that soon. It took me at least 2 weeks to get back into the swing of things. I went back to my calendar and saw that at 2 1/2 weeks after my surgery I went to a wedding.

what babbs said--I also have a desk job. had the surgery on a Wednesday and didn't go back until the following Monday. I didn't need all those days off but I was glad I took them.

I honestly thought I'd go back the next Monday (5 days after surgery) glad I didn't

i am two and a half weeks post op and i went back to my desk job after a week off. i wish i would have been able to take two weeks off. i tire more easily but feel great.

You definately could do it unless you have some complications - I was off 5 days only due to what day of week my surgery fell on - I then went back to my 80 hour a week desk job no problem. Just remember to drink your liquids!

You definately could do it unless you have some complications - I was off 5 days only due to what day of week my surgery fell on - I then went back to my 80 hour a week desk job no problem. Just remember to drink your liquids!

Must be because you had an excellent surgeon! :thumbup:

I was banded on the 3rd, spent a few sore days recovering, and went back to work (in a professional office setting) on the 10th. I probably could have gone a day earlier, but I did some work from home instead. Biggest challenge was sitting at a desk for very long, due to port pain/tenderness.

I also started walking on my treadmill three days after the surgery, and was very good about getting all my Protein in. I think that may have helped.

Today I am two weeks out, and I feel terrific. Port area is still noticeable, but not really painful. Once in a while I get like a charlie horse sensation in that spot, but nothing that lasts very long. I'm able to eat and drink with no problem, have not had any vomiting issues, and honestly can't believe how great I feel! Like so many other folks I found the three days following the surgery a challenge in terms of port pain, but reassured myself that it was a temporary state that would soon pass. And it did.

Good luck to all of you with upcoming surgeries!

Just hang in there on the rough days, because it will get better. I would encourage you to take as much time as you can, and feel that you need. Keep in mind that we all heal at different rates, and don't beat yourself up for being tired and sore for a few days.

congratulations on taking this gigantic big step forward!

:thumbup:

o.

I had surgery on Tuesday, Jan 20. Went back to work on Tuesday, Jan 27. Would have gone back that Monday, but my husband left for business the day before (Sun) and I over did it (driving kids to friends' houses, washing clothes) so took the extra day off. Was tired that first week, but made it through an entire work day. If you really feel like you need to be at the office, go in with the thought that you might only do a 1/2 day or be leaving a couple hours early. Keep your options open. Make sure you have plenty of allowable liquids and other "foods" so that you aren't tempted by what others might be eating. I work in a cube with over 200 people on my floor so I know how hard it can be.

I had my surgery on Thurs 1/29 and went back to work on Wednesday. I'm a nurse in an office and I was fine on my feet and everything. I just couldn't bend over too well!

I feel great now!:thumbup:

I was really surprised how long it took me to recover. I was banded three weeks ago and I'm still not at 100%. After having three c-sections, I thought I would be feeling better within a few days. I was still a mess a week after surgery. Lack of energy, sleeping problems, pooping issues, incision discomfort are some of the problems I encountered. Everything is much better now but I still get tired and dizzy easily. Take as much time off as your work will allow. Good luck with your surgery!

I was banded last Thursday, in the morning, and I went back to work this afternoon (Tuesday). I stand for most of my work day, but I felt fine. I'm on half days for the rest of the week so the doctors I work for don't yell at me.

I do get tired faster, but I don't have a problem sitting down when I need to.

Had band in on monday, went back to work on thursday, really feeling quite well, just a bit sore, I am 9 days out and have not had even tylenol for days. I am fortunate, but then I believe a normal routine makes you feel better, gives little time to the OMG´s we all go through

Good luck!!

Thanks so much for your replys. I will just listen to my body and take it easy. I work in a small office with only 4 women so it wouldn't be a problem if I needed to take a few extra days off.

I though I would be back to work in 2 days since I have a desk job and I have to tell you I had to take a full week off from work. I had alot of gas pain and was pretty uncomfortable.