Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm starting my 14-day pre-op liquid diet that consists of 2 cans of slim fast Protein, low carb shake, sugar free carnation instant Breakfast with 1 cup skim milk, cup cottage cheese, 1 cup dannon light and fit yogurt, 15 oz can vegetarian vegetable Soup, quaker oatmeal weight control oatmeal, 3 servings of fruit (1/2 cup each serving), and 48-64 ounces of Water or sugar free drinks, no caffeine, no carbonation. I have to have all this every day for 2 weeks. Is anyone doing the same diet or something like this? I know every surgeon and weight loss center is different. Any tips and advice? Thanks!!!;)

Hang in there...are you allowed to have Soups? I was, it had to be 3or less grams of fat per serving. except for today only clear liquids...that has been rough. but i know that it is all going to be worth it.

The clear liquid diet is much harder that the full liquids in my opinion. I am on day two of Clear Liquids and I feel like I am starving. I did not feel this way on 10 days of full liquids. I did lose 8# in the past 11 days though. Well, tomorrow is the surgery so hopefully drugs will prevent me from feeling hungry.

I'm on day 1 of a full liquid diet (plus a cup of veggies twice a day if i need) that I have to do for the two weeks before surgery. I had one shake for lunch and the taste made me gag, I had to very concsciously not throw up. For dinner I had some chicken Soup broth which is fine, but I don't know how I'm going to get through eating shakes for the next four weeks (two pre and two post op). What shakes are you guys using? I greatly dislike the taste of milk so I put a whey Protein Powder in rice milk and it was really disgusting. Help please!

ait- we have the same surgery date and I too started my 2 week liquid diet. I actually started yesterday for some reason i felt like starting a day early, bad idea......i had a very tough time getting through one day!So today is actually day two and I can not get rid of my headache...today I actually had some egg beaters... and finally my headache went away for 4 hours....of course it's back again. I am thinking I am going to have to modify this whole liquid diet plan a little....I'm going to need to work my way towards the full liquid thing....today i had 2 Adkins Advantage shakes, 20 oz. of broth, 1 Dannon Lite and Fit Yogurt shake thing, 6oz. of broiled tilapia and a sugar free popsicle...I'm hoping this isn't so bad, it's not totally liquid, but really I need Protein. I had to pull my car off the road today because I was so weak and dizzy I thought I was going to faint. I am thinking and praying that I can work my way towards total liquid for most of the 2nd week and then clear liquid for 48 hours...I just can't deal with the headache....what do you think?:w00t:

i totally relate. i only had one Protein Shake and some chicken broth tonight and i am worried about how im going to get through this. i want this surgery so much and am willing to do what i must, but i also have to function! i have a feeling that if you stick to a low carb low fat low cal diet you'll be alright, but i have nothing to really base that feeling on

I started on 14 day pre op diet last Wednesday, and its a nightmare...I am so hungry...optifast drinks, which are not cheap...chicken broth and sugar free Jello, I am getting depressed...need to taste something.

I hear you!!! I am on day 14 of the liquid Optifast diet! It has been the toughest thing I have ever done, honestly! My kids are teenagers, so I bought them stuff they could heat up or something easy, so we didn't have to cook. Last night, they made Hamburger Helper and I thought I was going to go insane! Okay, normally, Hamburger Helper would have NOT turned me on much, but it smelled like heaven! I finally snuck in the kitchen for 1 bite, then gave the leftoevers to the dog for my own protection! ha ha! I have only had coffee, optifast, broth, Water and some crystal light, but I don't really like it. It's very interesting to me how different each doctor is with their pre-op diets. Some prefer liquid only, some 3 day liquids, some use the Atkins or Southbeach diet and then I have heard of some people having no pre-op diet at all!! It seems each surgeon has his/her own set of rules! Good luck to you all and just remember when the times are tough and you are questioning yourself or your decision - that it will get better and you are doing this for a reason...YOU! Best wishes ~ Shelley

I'm on day 1 of a full liquid diet (plus a cup of veggies twice a day if i need) that I have to do for the two weeks before surgery. I had one shake for lunch and the taste made me gag, I had to very concsciously not throw up. For dinner I had some chicken Soup broth which is fine, but I don't know how I'm going to get through eating shakes for the next four weeks (two pre and two post op). What shakes are you guys using? I greatly dislike the taste of milk so I put a whey Protein Powder in rice milk and it was really disgusting. Help please!

I am on day 2 of two weeks. I bought the Unjury, choc,van & chicken soup. The choc & van are good. The Chicken soup gave me the same reaction as you with the first teaspoon. I am sticking with the choc & van. Not sure how it would be with rice milk. Happy Journey !!!!1

I started with one liquid meal a day for 3-4 days, then full liquid for two days, liquid for breakfast and lunch with mexican food for dinner (kind of liquid - chili) then back to just liquid for five days now and the DR. only required 10 days of liquid diet but I have my surgery scheduled for 4 March so I should have lost more than the 20lbs I have lost so far before WLS even occurs.

Hi all

I feel your pain - I am day 4 of a 7 day 'milk diet'. I have 4 pints of semi-skimmed milk per day, 1 sugar free jelly and an Oxo cube (for the salt).

Day 1 and 2 were really tough....I think I went through every emotion and felt absent-minded, fuzzy headed, woozy and hyper-active! Day 3 I awoke with a Migraine and just thought I cannot do it, but after some medication, I got up and went to work and just drank the milk (Mooooo). Funnily enough, the hunger has subsided but I am craving food textures.

My hubbie is doing all of the cooking (for himself and our son) and I just keep myself away. I did put a pizza in the oven for my son yesterday, but then ran away!!!

Keep strong everyone :smile:

Lisa

Stick with it everyone.

"I made it!":thumbup:

Surgery was 2/23/09 and I came home today. They kept me an extra day, I was in so much pain.:thumbup:

Here is a little tip for post-op in the hospital. If you have someone there with you have them rub your back, especially your lower back to help relieve the gas pain. I still have lots of gas, its a killer. But I am feeling a lot better since I have been home.

Good luck~!~

I came home yesterday too. Too wiped out to get on the computer. Had a funky reaction to my Oxycodone Syrup. I think I will still with Tylenol syrup. Sore around my mid section. Feels like I did a thousand sit ups. Plus my port site is pretty tender. Not feeling like eating or drinking and forcing myself to do that. But I am on the road to recovery now! Congrats to all the February Bandsters!