Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out post band

My husband and I loved to go out to dinner and we did almost every night after we got home from work. This surgery is going to be a life style change for both of us. He has been very supportive even to the point of going on the liquid diet with me for two weeks. What I would like to know is post-op what restaurant foods are better tolerated? Any suggestions?

Surgery date 20 February 2009

Thanks, Bingo-B

If you're a fish lover like I am, you'll hit the jackpot. Just about every restaurant from Italian to steak, has a nice fish selection. My second choice is chicken. I think I could handle steak, but so far, I've not felt the need to try more than a little sliver of my husband's. He usually orders smaller meals now, and borrows from my plate. lol I've always been happy to bring part of my meal home for the next day. :ohmy:

I've eaten chicken and broccoli at two different Chinese restaurants. One was very tender and went down well, but the other wasn't so well cooked, and I had to definitely be mindful of my bites and chewing. At Mexican restaurants, I do eat some chips (not many), and I order a dish with chicken, and generally open up the tortilla, and eat the chicken and the sides, well, at least a small portion. I almost always order a nice veggie omelet when we go out for Breakfast.< /span>

I'm at my sweet spot, and my doctor's recommended 1/2 cup meals, are very satisfying. So, obviously, I have a lot of left over, and plenty to share.

If you're band isn't overly tight, and my doctor does not want me to get to that point, you should be able to eat something at most any restaurant. I've been banded for five months, been on vacation, and have eaten out at minimum of once/week, and I haven't had any problems finding something that I would consider relatively healthy and band friendly.

It's going to depend on your personal reaction to being banded. I can eat many regular restaurant foods, but I can eat only a quarter to a third of a restaurant serving. Plan on taking some home, whatever it is you order. This can become a real treat, as I often enjoy the leftovers as much as the original meal. We went out to a southern style restaurant the other day, and I ordered BBQ pork. I ended up eating the vegies and taking most of the pork home. I sauteed some green onions and yellow pepper, added a can of pinto Beans and the pork, plus a dollop of salsa and had an improvised yummy chili type meal, which then lasted me for another meal. My husband always says it isn't worth the price to eat out with a band, but I think when you get three or four meals out of your order, it is well worth it.

I couldn't agree more! One of the neatest things about the having my band is being able to order an appetizer as my main course and be TOTALLY satisfied with it. Or, as Snowbird said, taking the majority of my meal home and then having at least one more meal. All my life I have cleaned my plate... always... to be able to take some home is the REAL treat for me.

You will be able to continue to eat out - and likely at all of the same places you did before which is so great. Just try to remember to choose wisely, TAKE SMALL BITES THAT YOU EAT SLOWLY (that's my biggest downfall still), and chew chew chew!

GOOD LUCK! And ENJOY!

Congrats on becoming a BANDSTER!

Stace:thumbup:

Edited by Sask Patient

I agree with everyone else. You just have to find a place that has the things you can eat to stay healthy. I go out to eat with my wife at the same little family place every week and they already know me and what i want. please remember they are in business to serve you so dont be scared to ask for what you want the way you want it. I have asked for my food to be baked and not fried, sauce on the side, chicken nuddle Soup with the nuddles removed, half of my food put in a doggy bag to go before they bring it to me, No rolls put on my table during dinner. So far not one place has refused to make my food the way i wanted it. oh and by the way my hospital gave me a card to show my local restaraunts that I had a weight lose surgery so i get the senior price or the kids price for the buffet. its so cool because I hate paying full price for something i might not be able to eat depending on my band. it is cool how places will work with you for your business. good luck...bigpapa

share with your husband --- I bring things home in to go boxes and have it another time or give it to my family--

just eat slowly -- sometimes you can eat more than other times --- we just stopped going to buffets and I have a card asking to eat from the children's menu-

you can still eat out -- I still have problems with odering too much but I am getting better ---

For the first month you probably wouldnt be allowed to eat regular food. After that I could eat just about anything. There is a thread in another section where folks list which foods they have trouble with. I have the most trouble with fruit, but it varys from person to person which foods they have trouble with.

How do you make sure you are not eating too much. Its not like you can take your scales? Afterwards, I am afraid I ate too much. I haven't had a fill yet.

As far as eating too much, eat slowly, chew chew chew and stop when your full.

I eat out about 4 times a week between work lunches and taking the family out. Work lunches are a little more challenging I usally order a small meal and pick at it. Family meals are easy, the wife and I agree on what to eat and I eat 1/4 of hers. If we can't find anything we both want I get a to go box at the start and only leave enough on the plate to eat. I eat anything I'm hungry for, just as the doctor ordered. I have had problems with nuts, bread and eggs and am very carefull if I try those.

I have a lot of doggy bags these days, but I order pretty much anything i want. I never eat a food at a restuarant that I haven't tried and eaten with success at home. For example, I wanted shrimp last night. My doctor said this could be a difficult food for me to get down. I haven't treid it at home yet, so I didn't want to try it at a restaurant and have a problem in public. I choce the salmon because I know I won't throw that up.