Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many fills did it take you to find your "sweet" spot

How Many Fills did it take you to get the Right Restriction for you?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How Many Fills did it take you to get the Right Restriction for you?

Thank you for answering me. I have been so upset thinking all the weight was coming back. It never occurred to me that I needed another fill until this morning. Problem is it took 6 fills for me to find my sweet spot and I am up to 9.25cc of a 10cc band. Although I have not had a fill since then I don't know how much more they will put in. I will make the appt and go see what they say. Again thanks for the info I feel better already.:confused:

You're welcome jojo. Just wanted to ease your mind and let you know that:

1. At your stage, it may just take a fraction of a cc to get you on track
  2. Most bands can take a little more than the specified (in your case 10cc) limit.
  3. Also, since it has been so long since your last fill, your level may have gone down over time leaving you with a little more room to work with. I am not exactly sure why this happens (evaporation maybe?) but it does

I was getting very discouraged because I had 8 ccs in a 10 cc band and still no proper restriction. I couldn't overeat to the extent I did before but I could still eat as much as my husband, with no restrictions on types of food, like bread, etc. I felt like I was being blamed each time I went in for a fill, even though I always followed the band rules for a couple of weeks after each new fill but never felt restriction. My last fill was very encouraging - 9 ccs. I suddenly have some of the issues other bandsters have with bread, and I can't eat as much. He said I should be full on just a 1/4 cup of food, and I would say that that is no where near being true for me. I eat more like 3/4 a cup or maybe a cup of food each time. However, that's it... I don't need any more and I don't even eat between meals anymore. I have steadily lost weight for the first time since my surgery and it has made it easy for me to follow the rules. I am so glad I didn't give up!! I probably need a little bit of adjustment but otherwise everything has changed... I am optimistic again and just generally happy all the time. It makes a difference to have hope!

Jodi_620

I have had 3 fills. The first did nothing, the second gave me a lot of restriction until I lost about 15 lbs and now I am on my 3rd fill. It was so tight that I was on liquids for 2 weeks and I have been on mushies for the last 3 weeks. It has only been this last week that I started eating solid foods again. I tried scheduling an unfill after week three, but the Dr. was unavailable to fit my schedule, so I just decided to tough it out.

I am finally eating solids, but I also notice that the quantity I am eating is a lot more. I am reluctant to go in for another fill because the last one was so tight, but I don't think I should be eating so much. (I had two regular size portions of lasagna, plus a regular size piece of cheese cake at my sister's birthday party. I haven't been able to do that for a long time.)

The Dr. has told me that just eating mushies is not where I should be. I should be able to eat regular solid food.

My question to you is:

How long after a fill should I be able to eat solid foods?

Should I try to get another fill?

Thanks for your advice.

teacherica,

After a fill I go have liquids the rest of that day and the next day then go to soft foods for two days then back to solid food on day 4. If I can't get solids down then I know I am too tight. I might wait it out for a couple days to see if it corrects itself but I wouldn't go too long.

You should go see your doctor. Any time you are too tight you should have it corrected ASAP. If the doctor is not available right away then schedule an appointment to see him. Being too tight can cause slippage or erosion. My doctor would schedule a fill appointment and do a fluoro just to make sure everything looks good. He does fluoro every six months or so but also when anything out of the ordinary like discomfort or sudden loss of restriction happens. You probably just need a fill but I would have the band looked at too.

Edited by Jodi_620

I had restriction from almost day 1. I have been loosing weight steadily since surgery. I had one fill of 0.5cc in Feb and my sceond of 1cc in 4/1. I agree that your sweet spot changes as you loose weight. I do not know if I am there yet as I just got my fill yesterday but I only want to loose 20 additional pounds and I am through. Then I will be working on maintenance of my weight loss. Happy Sweet Spotting!

after a fill I do liquid for that day, then mushy for a day maybe two then back to solids. my doctor said the longer you stay on soft foods the harder it will be to get back on solids. he basically said by the 4th day his patients should be eating. remember mushy foods go thru the band easier and therefore you can eat a lot more of them which can cause weight gain.

p.s. this was a good poll!

remember mushy foods go thru the band easier and therefore you can eat a lot more of them which can cause weight gain.

This is good advice! I was almost tempted to throw the entire chicken dinner I cook for the family in the food processor but I realized I would be eating faster than everyone and it's the lazy way out. I have to learn to chew like a grown up!

4 it took 4 fills to get decent restrictions the first 2 I really didnt feel any restriction and thought oh no it is not going to work I waited 3 months between 2nd and 3rd (should have went back much sooner). my 3rd fill I had good restriction for about 3 days lol and did still feel some in the morning. 2 weeks later I went back (after gaining about a pound that was embarassing and I almost cancelled) and got the wonderful fill #4 now I stay full and think hey this might work.

Newly banded please get enough fill for good restriction.

It is so frustrating and I kept thinking it was just me I was just not going to loose Those 3 months I did loose 9 lbs but that was dieting and excercising and with about 100 more to go it was very hard to stay motivated

Edited by babe134
typo

Jodi, you are an inspiration! I LOVE your weekly goals. I just got my surgery Monday, 13th. I hope to follow your example. Thanks!

I'm not sure how to answer.

I was banded May 29th and he put 1.4ccs in at the time of the installation. I just went in a week or so ago for my first fill, 1 more cc. So I'm at 2.4 ccs.

In the 6 weeks before my first fill, I lost something like 12 pounds, I guess. And though I could feel a bit of restriction, I could still eat just about anything.

Now at 2.4ccs, I can DEFINITELY feel restriction and it has impacted what and how I eat. So I think this could be it?? I don't know. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. If I'm losing weight and if I can continue to eat decently but not too much, then I guess I'll call it.

I haven't tried steak or salad yet. I had a deviled egg the other night and was really surprised when it caused me an issue - I thought it would be soft enough not to.

I'm still getting the hang of all this.

I think I am there but there is nothing really "sweet" about it. I'm still just trying to get used to it and tired of not being able to drink in the morning.

Don't get me wrong - I do not regret one moment of this. I feel better than I have in years.

Well for me it was more like 8 fills and 1 slight unfill. I said 6 because I believe I was good to go at my 6th fill. My problem was I listened too much on what others were doing on this website.

So, please pay attention to your own body. You should still be able to eat *solid* food, just less of it - and it last until your next meal. As long as you are losing weight (without struggling to do it all on your own), do not consider a fill. JM2C.

ETA: You will still need to eat good healthy food and exercise. There is no way around this.

Edited by LilMissDiva

On Aug 14 I am going in for my 10th.

Edited by Lana24
edit

I don't remember. I didn't really count; I started feeling restriction with my third, then played around, fine tuning for a while. Maybe 5?

For me it was 3. The second was too tight! If I can pass on any knowledge if this thing after 3 years I would day do not suffer with an over filled band! I was sick every other day and when I got a slight infill it really did the trick Snd no I didn't gain weight I lost after the unfil. I love being free of uncontrollable hunger I just isn't there any longer. Cravings for b&j yogurt ...there still there but that's it! It's amazing ! B