Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 mo out..lost 60+ pounds but gained 20 back. HELP

was banded on 4/10/08 DID great Lost 63 pounds in 5 months. Ate right, excersised. Had a few fills. It wasnt an easy ride. Throwing up all the time and what not.Then for two months I didn't lose anything. But still throwing up. I figured hey one of those stupid platue thingys everything will be fine. Now in the last two months i've gained back 20 pounds. 20 POUNDS. All of a sudden I'm eating chocolate thats all I crave. I was never a chocolate eater before this surgery. I am to the point if I dont eat chocolate I freak out. My day goes to hell and what not. I still get my normal amount of Protein in. eating only 3 times a day has turned into eating 4 maybe 5 times a day. now in the last few weeks I have even picked up my carbs again. I can eat awhole foot long sub and nothing effects me. The surgeon has done x-rays and the band is fine, and he wont do another fill..he says I am to tight as it is. How do I go from 9 months with the right Protein, eating right ect..to all this -sighs-

Some people asked if I am pregnant. Being that I am in a same sex relationship and havent had sex with a guy in 4 years...that's out of the question.

I am just looking for answers. I am so confused and let down. I let myself down and the band has let me down. I had a friend tell me to convert to gastric bypass. sure, i'm up for it, its an option but what if the same thing happens again? :tongue:

I think you should listen to your surgeon. Get a slight unfill, and start following the "rules" again.

Wish I can. But if I don't have choclate lately i go into like this panic attack making it very hard. And do I need an unfill when I am eating more? He ordered some blood work for me to get done. which I have done, just I don't see him until the 18th. Its just frustrating. I did so well then went through this phase where everything I ate, I threw up. I would throw up so bad that I would have to miss work. Then all of a sudden one day...it all goes backwords on me. I don't know if when I threw up alot that I would stay on liquids for 48 hours ( doc told me to do that) that i develped a thing for easy foods, or if a possiability that I am missing something important in my diet that is why I am eating chocolate...I was never a chocolate eater before.

I keep telling myself that every morning when I wake up that it is a new day...that I am gonna eat right and start over again...cuz I was able to do it once I can do it again. But by the end of the day...I mess it up somehow.

I am surely no surgeon nor doc...but still from what it sounds like yes, you need less restriction. As to the chocolate? Perhaps its a caffeine addiction. I'd discuss that with a nutritionist, seriously. You should maybe be anxious if there is NO food and you're starving, but not have a panic attack over chocolate. The nutritionist can maybe help you with that.

Sorry, but I don't see how you are going to do well with the gastric by-pass when you are not following the Band Rules.

All WLS have rules associated to them. If you are not doing well with the rules for one produre, then how will you do well with the rules of another procedure?

You have the tools you need. Your doctor has confirmed there is nothing wrong with your band. You have confirmed that you are not following the rules. So come on, you have already done so well. It is no easy task to lose 63 pounds, but you did that. You know you can do it again.

Try going to support groups, counseling, and exercising.

There are so many people at LBT here to support you, so find a buddy and get the support you need. You have done it before and I know you can do it again!!!

Good luck!

I don't drink coffee, tea or soda..So I don't know about caffeine..what other foods and such might have caffeine? i used to drink soda..but I have done without soda for over a year..

God I wish I could attend support groups...but with my work times changing Its hard to do. I always have to work when there is one. And My job won't give me a set day off to go. I am surprised they even let me go get the band. Half the time they won't let me get anything to drink..I am lucky if I only have 40 ounces of Water a day too. They freak out if I am gone for 2 minutes to get Water. They act like they can't be left alone to do anything.

But I know I can get back on track....Just time I guess. I did do so well at first. I need to step up again. And if my blood work that the surgeon had me do comes back and says I am missing something. we fix that and get a moving :]

Does your surgeon know you were throwing up all the time? That's not how the band is designed to work. It sounds like you are too tight.

Are drinking your Water? I have my days!! sometimes all I want to eat is JUNK!!!!! just pull your self up and dust your self off! It's a new day!!!! It's hard!!!! REMEMBER the band is a tool to loose weight! you have to work at it to!!! You have to work with it.... I know how you feel I'm at a stand still in weight loss and all i want to do is eat junk! I noticed if I start eating carbs. I don't loose! soooo with that being said may be this will help.... I was banded in june of 08 and have lost 60 pounds. doctor is ok with it... I thought I would have lost more... but fat coming off slow is better!

It sounds like when your problems started that you were too tight. I agree with RM, you probably need a small unfill so you can eat the proper healthy foods and start over again. If you are craving chocolate, make homemade hot chocolate. Use Hershey's cocoa and splenda with skim milk, OR sf Jello pudding has a dark chocolate flavor that is REALLY good. They are 60 calories each, most nights I eat two of them. If you like hot chocolate, it is better though, because you will get the Protein and Calcium in the milk.

As far as chocolate goes eat Sugar Free Chocolate pudding.< /span>

You need more Water than what your getting. Are you doing a lot of slider foods? Throwing up all the time is not right. But after throwing up did you go onto liquids or mushies for the next day or two, or did you try to eat regularly? If your band is irritated and swollen from throwing up you will only make it worse if you continue eating solids. You have to rest your band a little. I pray you will be alright.

I had put off getting a fill before I went to my NY trip in OCT because I was throwing up and I didn't want to be sick. The whole time I was in NY I was throwing up. Threw up 6 out of 7 days. Figures the day I go home is the day I am fine. And since then I didn't lose any weight. So I managed to stop the throwing up, and went to get a fill cuz I wasnt losing. I no longer throw up and ended up gaining these 20 pounds. But everytime I do throw up I take it easy for a day or two with liquids or mushy foods.

Now like I said before I can eat awhole sub without throwing up/ feeling all that full when before I couldnt eat half of it either threw it up or in two or three bites I was full. I don't think I am eating any slider foods as of lately.

My doc hasnt said anything about an un fill, but yet he won't fill me up cuz he said I won't be able to eat anything. Just totally confused...everyday my band is so different. But my Doc doesnt seem to concerned about me gaining, he looks at it as still a 40 pound lost. I look at it like something is wrong, if I had gained a few pounds I wouldn't be worried...but 20...It has me going back to trying to figure out if I did anything wrong? if something is wrong with the band? what could I have done better? I did so good, nothing has wroked in the past for me but this band. I just cant believe the complete 160 turn i've made.

Dream, I would probably start logging your food/drinks online to see exactly how much you are consuming each day now. That may give you an idea of what is going on. You may also want to try the 5 day pouch test to get back with the program and start over.

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Good Luck!

Maybe you are like me and nibble, so the band doesnt really stop you from eating more often. I went on a cruise and ate every time I was hungry, even though I had been very strict before that. I gained 5 lbs in 5 days, so I know it can happen.

It's hard to cut back all at once. I started by making sure I got my walking in and cutting back gradually (still am working on cutting back).

Try some SF fudgesicles that take longer to eat and are only 35 calories or something not as bad as regular chocolate. The more real chocolate you eat, the more you will crave. It might not be real panic attacks, just insulin surges that make you feel like you can't do without it? Is that possible? (I dont know, Im just hoping there is a way for you to break the sugar cycle too).

Im almost back to my precruise weight, and I know I was depressed to feel like I set myself back so much. But I can tell you that you dont want to let it go. I did that on my last diet and gained everything back. Please dont let that happen or you will be so upset with yourself. You just gotta stop and get back on the bandwagon. Hugs.