Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Octuplets and SIX other children??!!!

You can thank President Roosevelt for that. I once accepted a welfare check for 1 1/2 years. I think back to that time (28 yrs ago) and know that if I didn't have welfare back then, I would not have died. I would have gotten a job while I was pregnant and/or moved back home with mom and dad.

I don't think supporting this kind of person who takes advantage of the system is what President Roosevelt intended. Kudos to you for NOT taking the "EASY WAY" and staying on the assistance.:thumbup:

That's interesting... especially considering you said:

My children are 27,24,23,22,21,19,18,17,15 &13. The 24,22 & 21 year olds I didn't deliver myself, just raised.

So... assuming the three OLDEST are gone, that would mean that you have kids aged 23, 22, two 21's, and 19 that are adults -- and one of these kids has had a baby -- all still living at home. Why is it that they can't make it on their own. :thumbup:[/quote

No, I have a 22, 21, 19, 18, 17, 15, 13, & 3 year old at home. The 18 and 19 year old are in college still. The 22 yr old chooses to live at home because she is saving her income while paying room and board here. The other stays at home for the same reason, and because we don't believe in daycare, so while she's at work, the rest of us care for her son.

Why do you always roll your eyes? Can you ever speak without sarcasm?

No, I have a 22, 21, 19, 18, 17, 15, 13, & 3 year old at home. The 18 and 19 year old are in college still. The 22 yr old chooses to live at home because she is saving her income while paying room and board here. The other stays at home for the same reason, and because we don't believe in daycare, so while she's at work, the rest of us care for her son.

Why do you always roll your eyes? Can you ever speak without sarcasm?

I just thought that what's going on here is proof of what we're saying about the breeder.

Sheesh! Gone for a couple of days b/c I'm sick have to read about 10pgs to catch up!

Wow! You are pretty judgemental. Just because you may not be able to do it, doesn't mean she won't be able to. I can't stand it when people put everybody in the same category. I had 10 children, and found it a breeze. I gave them all unconditional love and attention. As a family, we helped each other. My sister-in-law used to say I was crazy because she only had 2 boys and she was going out of her mind. Everyone is different. Believe it or not, some people never get stressed out. I'm that way. I don't even know what stress feels like. God gives each of us the ability to cope with our own situations. (She expressed her belief in God in her interview last night on dateline.)

JUDGEMENTAL! Excuse me! Have you looked a mirror lately? Isn't that what this post just did to me? And WHERE in my post did I say I couldn't handle it? If I couldn't handle it, I would never have become a mother! I just said in my situation, there are some hard days and I'm a SAHM and have only 1 kid w/a DH whose gone half the week and have no help on those days.

You can argue all you want, IMHO it was a selfish, and mentally unstable decision on her part, and a foolish one on a Dr, who should answer for this.

Kat

Agreed.

Don't lump all of us in with this nutcase. I have never done anything like this; I have never done something that has caused me to need services (and I don't mean just lose a job and need unemployment or temporary help -- I mean do something STUPID that REQUIRES the state to HAVE to take care of you).

NOBODY has the right to put their wants before the rights of others. Her wants will cost the state dearly. She does NOT have that right, and to do so makes her a bitch in my book -- a spoiled, selfish bitch.

I agree. DH and I have never been on public assistance. We paid for our own IVF and our daughter's adoption OURSELVES!!! If we had not been able to pay for either OURSELVES we would not have done either.

I, too, have no doubt that she will get a windfall of money from this ordeal, therefore, none of you need to worry that it will come out of your pocket. She will get all the help she is going to need because even though she made some very wrong choices in her life, there are still many people (myself included) who feel that helping her with all the children is the right thing to do (for the childrens sake). I am glad that she will be a loving mother towards her children and will do her best to care for them all. (even if it is with other peoples help)

I don't know that she will get a windfall. I hope she does so that my tax dollars can go to something else BUT people are pretty irritated and I don't know that it will happen.

I don't think supporting this kind of person who takes advantage of the system is what President Roosevelt intended.

No, I'm sure he was hoping to help people who needed it get a "leg up" and get on their feet. NOT the people who are playing the system as she obviously is!

I did not watch the Dateline interview. On one hand, I wanted to see what she had to say. On the other hand, I knew it would tick me off. I don't feel good enough for that kind of energy expenditure! LOL! I went to bed instead!

The whole thing just irritates me. She was living at home, NOT paying anything in to the household (according to her mother) and could not afford the kids she already had. She should not have even tried for ONE more! She can't afford 6, let alone 7, or now 14! I feel for the kids. They ALL are going to suffer for her selfishness, unfortunately.

I, too, have no doubt that she will get a windfall of money from this ordeal, therefore, none of you need to worry that it will come out of your pocket. She will get all the help she is going to need because even though she made some very wrong choices in her life, there are still many people (myself included) who feel that helping her with all the children is the right thing to do (for the childrens sake). I am glad that she will be a loving mother towards her children and will do her best to care for them all. (even if it is with other peoples help)

For the children's sake? See, that is the problem with people like this woman. She knows that she can have as many kids as she wants even though she can't afford them because she knows there will be people like patty who will feel sorry for her and the kids and will help her out. That is what makes me so mad! They know that having kids means a free ride. I know lots of people like this, including my younger sister. They don't care how many they have because they know that the kids are their meal ticket. I am just waiting for someone who feels really sorry for her (like patty) to come along and build her a custom house and give her a nice giant vehicle for free!!

I would also like to know why she is disabled. She supposedly has a lower back injury. If that is the case, then how does she pick up all those kids??

I would also like to know why she is disabled. She supposedly has a lower back injury. If that is the case, then how does she pick up all those kids??

Much less carry eight of them.

It's because she's milking the system way beyond the time she was qualified for benefits.

That is, if that stupid state of Californication doesn't pick up the tab for THAT too... :thumbup:

Hey Hey Hey, be nice to us who live in California, we are not all self-centered breeding machines.

Plus, I did post on this thread the cost of a licensed day care center in California for one child going full time. The data reflects 2006, which was around $650.00 a month, but it is now around $800 a month in California.

How on earth do you pay for that with so many kids???

Hey Hey Hey, be nice to us who live in California, we are not all self-centered breeding machines.

Sorry, I meant the state as in the government, not the normal people. :thumbup:

Sorry, I meant the state as in the government, not the normal people. :)

Thanks!:thumbup:

Bravo!!! Exactly right!!!!! Some people have that feeling of entitlement, and that leads to doing what ever they want without regard to "can I afford it"? I would love to know what percentage of those on welfare COULD work to support themselves, but choose to be on welfare to be a stay home mom, or so they can remain living in a certain area, or just because they are lazy? What percent, because they are uneducated or live in an area where rent/real estate prices are high could work but would not earn as much as they do on welfare, choose to be on welfare and raise a family anyway. Our neighborhood is near a government subsidized apartment complex, and most of the cars that are parked in their lots are nicer than my old 99' mini-van!!!!:thumbup:

I completely agree with you. I work in one of the busiest pediatric emergency rooms in the country. I have 5 children and I worked night shift for many years, (I'm a manager on day shift now...yippee). I can't tell you the number of times that a registration clerk would ask a mom if she "worked outside the home" only to hear the mom get irate and say something like, "my kids are my job, I have to stay home and take care of them", then the mom would hand over her medicaid card to the clerk with expensive manicured hands and fake fingernails that curled like fritos and dressed to the nines.

I work hard to be able to afford my five children. One is grown and married and one is in college, but I still have three teenage boys at home. I do not have nicely manicured fake fingernails and I do not have medicaid. I chose to have five kids and do not think anyone else should pay for them. Likewise, I do not think I should have to pay for another person's children if they are milking the system. I absolutely think there are times when people hit hard luck and need some TEMPORARY help, but to have 6 kids you can't afford, then decide to have 8 more without a plan to pay for them really irritates me. It's not the kid's fault....and for the record, my feelings have never once influenced the care I provide to the children. I just wish people would take responsibility for their actions and not expect my hard earned tax dollars to pay for their kids when I'm working hard to pay for my own. :)

Pheww, sorry for the rant. I feel better now and will get off my soap box. I love my job and the patients I care for, but I love my family more!

patty, why don't you believe in daycare???

Because she believes in people supporting the terminally stupid in society, and that belief takes up too much room to allow any others in. :thumbup: