Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Octuplets and SIX other children??!!!

I ran a licensed day care for over 20 years. Beginning in my home, while I raised my own---and eventually moving to an independent center.

There has ALWAYS been a battle between the SAHM, and working Moms. But there are really good and really bad in both segments!!! Some Moms are better Moms when they are with their kids because they get the outside stimulus of working. Other Moms have no choice but to work. Some stay home and resent the hell out of it, and would be better off both for themselves and their kids if they would take a job and a break. Others simply thrive as SAHM's.

None is more right than another. We are all different, coming from different backgrounds and needs.

I had one family with 2 sets of twins and a single, and she worked----but she would literally sign her paycheck over and write out a personal check to cover the remainder....she did not take home a single dime from working. But she CHOSE to do it, and was thrilled to see her kids each night, and they her. Many times we wondered why....but it worked for her. And SHE paid....what her check didn't cover her HUSBANDS did. Not a gov't. check!

For about 3 years I did low income child care, where the state paid me. I saw more worthless parents in those 3 years than the other 17 + combined. The parents were often times being trained by the state, working in state offices, in an attempt to get them off welfare. And you could see it coming a mile away---when they forced them to go to work...they did go to work, at getting knocked up again!

I eventually severed the contract with the state, it was horrible, kids coming dirty, and sick, and only a very few really working to better themselves. There were a couple of girls who were seriously trying, I continued to provide care for them for a dollar an hour.....less than I made in highschool babysitting! But they were trying!

Not believing in day care is fine.....but what if heaven forbid something happened to your husband? Or in this economy you HAD to work outside the home?

I find it an offensive comment, and a rather silly one. A vast majority of women who work do so to help support their family. Unlike the person this thread is about.

Kat

Her back looks fine here:

OctoMom -- It Was a Very Goodyear - TMZ.com

I hope after they take her kids away, they investigate her for insurance fraud and lock her away.

You are pretty harsh. I hope noone looks as closely to your faults in life as you and many others have done to hers. Otherwise you may get locked away if they bide by your standards.

Because she believes in people supporting the terminally stupid in society, and that belief takes up too much room to allow any others in. :ohmy:

The more you post, the less and less I like you.

God tells us to love even the unlovely, but you bring me a great challenge.

FYI: helping her unfortunate children is what people are doing when they give to her. Or can't you see beyond her bad choices long enough to stop calling her vile names and deciding what should be done to punish her severely?

Edited by pattygreen

patty, why don't you believe in daycare???

When I had my first child at 19, I stayed home to be with him, but when he was 3 or 4, I decided to drive a school bus during the day, so I put him in a daycare. They told me that he had to be there all day even though I had 4 or so hours off inbetween my morning and afternoon run. (because there could only be one drop off and one pickup) So, I left him there. On the 3rd day of daycare, when I came to pick him up, he was in the bathroom in a stall sobbing with heavy heaving. There was a man standing at the door of the restroom waiting for him to finish. I went in and heard him crying and asked him what was wrong. With sobs inbetween each word, he said I...can't..zipper...my..pants. I took him by his hand and left and never went back. I know that my sound like not much to some, but I just couldn't leave him there all day without me or his dad with him. I felt like noone could care for him like I could. I told my husband I was quitting my job after only 3 days of work, and he was ok with it. When I called my boss, she said,"didn't you know you could bring your child on the bus with you?" So, needless to say, I kept my job.( only for less than a year, cause I got pregnant with my 2nd child and chose to stay home from then on)

I also feel that there are alot of crazy people in the world. Even if they don't harm your child physically, or sexually, some may harm them emotionally. When kids are from birth - five, they are growing and learning at such a great rate. I think that parents should be there for them to be their greatest example in life at these ages. The Gov. takes our kids at 5 to go to school and it is there that they become influenced by others. Why give them to others any sooner than is required? (I also homeschool my children)

I can't tell you the number of times that a registration clerk would ask a mom if she "worked outside the home" only to hear the mom get irate and say something like, "my kids are my job, I have to stay home and take care of them", then the mom would hand over her medicaid card to the clerk with expensive manicured hands and fake fingernails that curled like fritos and dressed to the nines.

I cashiered at a grocery store as a second job once and I also was a teacher. I can't tell you the number of times we saw abuse of government funds in both settings. ie. There are certain things you are not allowed to use food stamps to pay for, which people would always argue about (cigarettes, etc.) and their carts were always filled with the most expensive name brand foods, mostly junk, that most people can't afford (it was rare to see someone buy nutritious food with food stamps). I have two sisters and a BIL that still teach...abuse of the system by these type of parents is rampant and trust me, is one of the main/constant source of conversations between teachers.

Oct. Mom is just a symptom of a greater problem, but I hope with the publicity and outrage that this at least makes the government take a closer look at what needs to be fixed. I can't wait for a year 1/2 from now when she says she'll be done with school and working full time outside the home as a counselor...yeah, right.

Take a look at mom's fingernails in the Dateline segment. I noticed them immediately.

And Kat- I applaud daycare and the wonderful service it provides working moms. I'm at home now, but we couldn't have afforded our three children without the jobs I had and the daycares that took such great care of my kids. They're older now, but they still bring up daycare/workers and wonderful memories they have. Thank you.

Kat, why do you find it an offensive and silly comment for me to say I don't believe in daycare? I wouldn't put my child in daycare, but that doesn't mean I don't think you or anyone else can't make your own decision about it. After I had my second child, I wanted to be a SAHM, so I also opened my own home daycare and brought an income in working out of my home. I did that for 12 years. So, what I meant was I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my own children in someone elses care. I certainly understand why people use daycare. It is needed for some. But I feel that if it's not an absolute necessity that mom works, if they can live on just one paycheck, then it is well worth it for 1 parent to stay home with the child and be that childs main influence in life till he starts going to school. That mom who worked and put her whole paycheck plus some towards her dacare expense was foolish in my eyes. She had those 5 kids, and she would rather go to work for 8-10 hours every day than spend her time teaching them things and playing or cuddling with them, just being their main influence in life. She had almost every mom's dream, which is to be able to not have to worry about a paycheck while she's raising her kids. IMO she blew it, and her kids lost out on that time with her. Too bad. It sounds to me like she shouldn't have had any kids if she couldn't take a full day with them and would rather put her time in at a job that she didn't get any pay for doing rather than be with them.

The more you post, the less and less I like you.

God tells us to love even the unlovely, but you bring me a great challenge.

FYI: helping her unfortunate children is what people are doing when they give to her. Or can't you see beyond her bad choices long enough to stop calling her vile names and deciding what should be done to punish her severely?

THEY can be helped properly by being found GOOD homes where they will be loved and cared for properly by somebody who doesn't have a breeder complex. She should be taken out of the equation completely and sterilized.

When I had my first child at 19, I stayed home to be with him,

So... when you had your child out of wedlock, you stayed HOME as well while taxpayers supported you? :ohmy:

patty, in todays time, what woman can afford to stay home and not work?? It is nearly impossible unless all of our husbands are millionairs! And mine sure isn't!

I think daycare is good for kids. It is good for them to be with other children and learn social skills. You can't watch your child 24 hours a day. Of course they are going to miss you at first, but eventually they get used to it. I also think children are better off not being with their parents 24 hours a day 7 days a week. They need to get used to living in the world. I think it makes it easier on them when they grow up.

You said the gov. takes our kids at 5 to go to school? You make that sound like a bad thing! That's so funny! Kids have to go to school!

I haven't read every page..

Has it been brought up how she gets disability, but she plans to go back to work when she gets her degree? Like her "disability" in any way correlates with her education. We should all be so lucky to claim "disability" to pay for our way of life until we get our degree. Especially if that way of life involves 14 kids. Right? RIGHT?!

Yea, I agree. I am in nursing school, so maybe I can get some disablity for the next few years until I finish?

Try for it.

Hey, can you thpeak with a lithp? Might get more cha-ching. :frown:

I also feel that there are alot of crazy people in the world.

Finally, something we can all agree on. Nothing is more crazier than being single while living off government assistance, staying with your parents for reduced rent and bringing 8 more children into the world, while you cannot financially provide for the 6 kids you already have.

If that doesn't say crazy, I don't know what does???:frown:

Edited by TQUAD64

Try for it.

Hey, can you thpeak with a lithp? Might get more cha-ching. :frown:

Actually I just got my braces off and the retainer is making me talk funny, so maybe that would be enough to work?