Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you ever experienced extremely low blood pressure (93/58) after being banded?

I can't in to see the dr till Friday so I wanted to see if anyone else has had their blood pressure drop significantly since losing weight. Mine was always fairly normal before banding 123/73 but now it goes anywhere from 100/60 to todays low of 93/58 after I exercised for 55 minutes. I have lost 54 pounds so I know that probably contributed to it getting lower, but that low seems dangerous. I am supposed to chart it until Friday so he can see at what times it is going so low. Just wondered if anyone else has had a drastic change in their BP.

That can be a sign of dehydration. Are you sure you are getting enough liquids, especially when you exercise?

My mother is a little 96 year old lady who occasionally suffers from low blood pressure, like 60/40. It is usually because she is not drinking enough fluids, and she sometimes needs to get an IV going to get her fluids up. Dehydration can be dangerous, so please be sure to keep drinking Water etc.

That can be a sign of dehydration. Are you sure you are getting enough liquids, especially when you exercise?

My mother is a little 96 year old lady who occasionally suffers from low blood pressure, like 60/40. It is usually because she is not drinking enough fluids, and she sometimes needs to get an IV going to get her fluids up. Dehydration can be dangerous, so please be sure to keep drinking Water etc.

Yeah, I forgot to add that part. I am drinking beween 60-70 oz of Water a day and I drink a 20 oz sugar free sports drink while I am exercising. That was one of the things the nurse asked me also, and I assured her that I was well hydrated. Its just a little scary and very puzzling. I also have no insurance right now as my husband started a new job last month so going to the dr is going to cost me a fortune. UGH!! I guess better to be safe than sorry though for sure.

I am no doctor, but I would find a way you could monitor this on a regular basis. Either go to a store that has that automatic blood pressure machine, or buy one yourself. It is not that bad from what I have seen in the past, but your weight loss may be helping this dip. Like I said, I would find a way to monitor this daily and keep a record so when and if you see a doctor, he has a history.

had my surgerg on jan 26,2009. visiting nurse sai bp was low and my heart rate was low also!! She did contribute this to dehydration and pain meds. So I am to drink moreand monitor my pain a bp meds.

Kim:redface:

I can't in to see the dr till Friday so I wanted to see if anyone else has had their blood pressure drop significantly since losing weight. Mine was always fairly normal before banding 123/73 but now it goes anywhere from 100/60 to todays low of 93/58 after I exercised for 55 minutes. I have lost 54 pounds so I know that probably contributed to it getting lower, but that low seems dangerous. I am supposed to chart it until Friday so he can see at what times it is going so low. Just wondered if anyone else has had a drastic change in their BP.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, my blood pressure was always around 96/58. That was my normal. My Dr said I was just going to live a long tired life. I guess if it is really low for you then it may be a problem? I don't really know. Mine was 109/70 today at the Drs and my normal before surgery had been in the 120's/80's.the past few yrs.

I am having the same issue....had mine taken at a physical the other day and it was 88/58....The employee health nurse seemed puzzled and took it several times. I said its always low anymore, but its never been this low. I do bring it up to my doc all the time and he seems to think its not that big of a deal. But lately Ive had a few episodes where I feel like im going to either pass out or throw up for no apparent reason......

I am having the same issue....had mine taken at a physical the other day and it was 88/58....The employee health nurse seemed puzzled and took it several times. I said its always low anymore, but its never been this low. I do bring it up to my doc all the time and he seems to think its not that big of a deal. But lately Ive had a few episodes where I feel like im going to either pass out or throw up for no apparent reason......

I was banded in August 09.. same thing.. my BP super low 90/54.. checked with nurse.. they aren't concerned about it.. so no stress..

Mine is often very low like that as well. When I was heavier as I got older (I'm 54) it was up to 118/72 or so, but when I was young and overweight it always was very low. My Dr always said I was going to live a long, tired life!! I guess it's not dangerous. I used to get lightheaded all the time if I stood up too fast when I was young. Guess I already responded, but anyway the point is we should live and be ok. When I had surgery 10 days ago, mine went down really low and nobody seemed to care!!

Edited by jms462001

This TOTALLY started to happen to me when i really kicked my workouts up. It was sooo bad one day that I got done running and got my stuff to leave the gym and didnt know if i was going to be able to walk about much less drive....i did anyway but it was SUPER dangerous when I made it home my BP was crazy low for me as was my heart rate. I had to triple my Fluid intake which helped a little but then after much experimenting i found out that i needed to add some more carbs to my diet. For some reason that straightend everything out.

I am currently going through the same thing, however, I am passing out almost every time. I actually passed out at the doctors office and they found me on the bathroom floor. They took me to the ER, my BP was 89/58 and heart rate was in the 140's. They ran every test possible and everything came back okay. I wasn't dehydrated. I am very good about the Water thing. They are telling me that the band could be hitting the vasovagal nerve which is causing the sudden drop in BP and elevated HR. I am due to see my surgeon this week so we will see what he says. I have never passed out before in my life until this. The important thing is, I can feel it coming on before it happens, so this is good. I get super light headed, dizzy and extremely nauseated. Then my body just gives out. Pretty scary stuff. I have never had issues with BP in the past, I have always been textbook 120/80. While sitting in the ER my heart rate would not get below 118 and was just sitting there, not doing anything. As long as your heart rate stays elevated with the low BP then thats better than the heart rate dropping. I am anxious to see what the doctor says though. My PCP said to increase my salt intake in the meantime. From what I am reading they may have to remove the band to see if it goes back up. This is frustrating to me becuase I am less than 2 months post op. However if I continue to pass out then this may be my only option. Hope everything checks out okay! Good luck!

I was just in the hospital a week and a half ago (8/26) and my blood pressure was very low. I mean real low- bottom number in 40's and 50's the CNA was taking it every hour. I did pass out when I was about 6 months post op- I attributed that to dehydration. My surgeon doesn't seem concerned about the low pressure. Maybe it's our body's way of relaxing after our weight comes off

OMG - me too! I went to see my OB/GYN a week ago, and my BP was 78/53. Mine usually runs high, and I take meds for it. Though they were prescribed about 55 lbs. ago prior to lap band. So I decided to keep an eye on it, and hopefully my doctor will be able to reduce or discontinue my meds soon. Which would be a major victory, as well as one of the main reasons why I decided to get lap band in the first place.

Mine is routinely that low and my heart rate usually 48 or 50 beats a minute. Its not a big deal but whilst i had my ileostomy it was even lower due to dehydration, which can be chronic with an ileostomy.

Mine is routinely that low and my heart rate usually 48 or 50 beats a minute. Its not a big deal but whilst i had my ileostomy it was even lower due to dehydration, which can be chronic with an ileostomy.