Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All MARCH '09 Bandsters - We need a name!

Hi all~ My port site too is sticking out, like you said Bernadette. My surgeon assures me that after we lose weight that it is a VERY small percentage that the port shows. These are not attached at all like a subcutaneous port used for chemo. These are attached to the abdominal wall muscle under our rib cage. My doc said he had to burn/scoop out a layer of fat to be able to anchor the port. (we all have fat underneath over every layer of our bodies!) But the first few months there is swelling/fluid and such that makes it more prominent. It should go down. My husband already promised me... that if I reach my goal weight, and keep it off for a year, then if I have tons of extra tummy skin and/or scars or port are bothering me.. that we will nip and tuck. Wow, what a guy!

My seroma filled back up with Fluid, and is now as tender and hardish as it was before my first fill. I spoke to my doc and he told me to get a high girdle or Spanx to try and keep pressure on it. Uh, yeah... will run right out and try to find a 3x girdle at the local dept. store!

I just found out my sister, 48, (I am 42) is having gastric bypass surgery in 6-8 weeks~ She was the one who was serious about this whole WLS before I was. We both started attending info sessions (me in FL and she in NC). Her insurance covers it but requires a ton of stuff.... I had an exclusion and had to pay cash. Subsequently because I was cash, I was able to get done sooooooo quickly! I know she has been bummed that I had my surgery and have started losing. But I told her she will fly past me with weight loss within the first month. Originally upon hearing she was doing surgery, I said to myself... ha, I am going on a diet and I am going to lose this weight on my own and show her that surgery is not necessary (for the 100th try!). That lasted about a month. Then I signed up for the band. I feel guilty in a way.. because as I go through band he!!, she decided that there is NO WAY she could do the band... and has opted for the bypass. I have always been the Type A sis... who has more accomplishments, etc. So she is so afraid of failing at one more thing. Some days I question if I should have done the bypass. But then other days (most) I know I am where I need to be. Slowly but surely... we will do it!

Happy Easter everyone!

peas out,

Laura

Hi all! I am so relieved to read all the posts today. I was banded on the 19th of March, and lost 20lbs very quickly. But, I haven't lost and ounce (and actually have put on 2 lbs) since. I figured that the weight gain was because I am finally on solid foods, and my weight is evening out from so much Water weight loss.

I also seem to have some swelling over my port sight. I hope I don't have a build up of Fluid there, too. That area is a little tender too. Everything else has healed perfectly!

Oh. i did forget to mention, although I feel that the scale is being difficult, my clothes are definately fitting differently! I had to buy even bigger jeans before my surgery because I just couldn't squeeze into my other ones any more. Yesterday I took those damn jeans out of my closet for the last time! I am back into all my clothes, and that feels GREAT!

Oh. i did forget to mention, although I feel that the scale is being difficult, my clothes are definately fitting differently! I had to buy even bigger jeans before my surgery because I just couldn't squeeze into my other ones any more. Yesterday I took those damn jeans out of my closet for the last time! I am back into all my clothes, and that feels GREAT!

YEAH for you Techergirl!!!

I also bagged up pants that look like part of a clown suit on me now. Now I'm just waiting to be able to pull the box of smaller clothes out from under my bed!!

Congrats on the 20lbs....once you have adjusted to solid foods you will be back on your way.

Hi Fellow March Bandsters!

Iw as banded on March 10th -lost 10pds and gained it all back in bandster hell which I found pretty tough.

I just got my first fill this a.m. It was a walk thru the park. I am now drinking some Soup but feeling fairly hungry but fairly quickly satisfied. We shall see- I got 4cc's - I PRAY THIS WORKS...I was really discourgaed when I could eat everything a week post op. Fingers crossed to us all!

How did you all learn hod to do your tickers etc.?

I was really discourgaed when I could eat everything a week post op. Fingers crossed to us all!

How did you all learn hod to do your tickers etc.?

i think most of us don't feel a lot of restriction until we get our fills. so hang in there, you are on your way !

as for the ticker - if you go to tickerfactory.com, just follow the steps to make a ticker, and make sure you copy the BBcode (which is used for bulletin boards like this one) and insert it into your signature.

Edited by a_thinner_me
typos !

Shoes: I have noticed a strange feeling in my throat a few times since I have been adding foods. I tried eating multi grain cheerios last weekend and they just wouldn't go down right. I felt a lump in my throat. Also got that feeling when I ate some rice. I think it happens to me with starchy foods. Do you notice it all the time? Both times I got up and walked a little and then was fine.

I am so looking forward to my fill. My Dr doesn't do it for 6 weeks. My problem? I am leaving for Disney World the very next day. So I put my fill off until almost 8 weeks from surgery. I just wasn't sure how I would handle it and we are flying to Disney. My Dr.'s office nurse told me that some people have issues when they fly. I didn't want to take that chance. I wonder if I should call to see if they could do it the week before?

Hi Linlayni,My throat seems to be settling down a bit im starting to find out what causes it starchy foods rice also i think chicken and potatoes its very hard to know what you should be eating, its a horrible feeling in your throat i did mention it to my surgeon he doesn't seem to be concerned about it i think its all down to what you eat how you chew it,i have had my first fill i don't feel i have much restriction ,i have heard that your band can get tighter when you fly maybe you would be better to wait till you come home just to be on the safe side :smile:

Big Momma is shrinking: HOW long did it take for your body to adjust. I do notice that my clothes are fitting looser, but this is SOOOOOO frustrating. I can't seem to lose any weight. I play around with 3 lbs.....gaining losing gaining losing. I am starting to get really frustrated! I know my body is in shock. It's thinking, "this won't be long. Pretty soon she'll be back to 2000+ calories per day!

Shoes: I don't know if you have this problem, but I completely agree that it is about chewing chewing chewing (and then also starchy foods). I have a problem chewing 16-20 times. I am not used to it, so if I don't really pay attention, after about 10 chews, the food wants to go down. That is also when I have issues.

Hi everyone

I finally got on the scale and I have lost another 3 pounds!!! YEAY! I knew that I was loosing because all of my clothes are falling off me. I guess it is time to get into the closet and start pulling out smaller clothes. I soo can't wait for my first fill, but I have heard that if you are still loosing they won't do it. Does anyone know if that is true??

Im so happy that I did this, even if it is a little selfish (self pay) but I deserve it, I never do anything special for myself. I don't like to shop but I have a feeling when I loose more I will be happy to buy new things.

How is everyone else doing??

Bernadette

Sorry Im trying to get the ticker in here. Its still not right....grrr Got it.

Banded March 16th, 2009 Dr Mario Almanza

weight.png

Edited by Fab by 50

Fab: I can relate to you feeling like you might be being selfish...but your not. You are making an investment in your health and your future. I shared that feeling of selfishness in the begining, but then I stopped and thought about how much money my DH has spent on things he's wanted in the past and I really don't feel so bad (now that's easy for me to say because I'm not a self payer so insurance coveres about 95% of my costs).

Linlay: most of my weightloss so far was during the 6mnth pre-op period (24lbs) only about 12 since surgery, but I ahve noticed my stomach is flatter. My DH says I'm more narrow in the chest and my best friend says my face is looking slimmer.....I'm not seeing huge changes in my clothes yet can still wear anywhere from an 18-22 all depends on how things are cut....ugh I hate that our clothes aren't like men's where is 34 is a 34 no matter who maked it!!!

Big Momma is shrinking: HOW long did it take for your body to adjust. I do notice that my clothes are fitting looser, but this is SOOOOOO frustrating. I can't seem to lose any weight. I play around with 3 lbs.....gaining losing gaining losing. I am starting to get really frustrated! I know my body is in shock. It's thinking, "this won't be long. Pretty soon she'll be back to 2000+ calories per day!

Shoes: I don't know if you have this problem, but I completely agree that it is about chewing chewing chewing (and then also starchy foods). I have a problem chewing 16-20 times. I am not used to it, so if I don't really pay attention, after about 10 chews, the food wants to go down. That is also when I have issues.

Hi Linlayni me too i don't think i chew enough especial with chicken, im ok with soft food yogurt's Soup but when i eat solids and dont chew enough i get that feeling in my throat think its our band letting you know when it doesn't like its, its all a learning curve, i agree with you about the weight its very slow and frustrating im sure we will all get there in the end slowly but surely lolx:smile:

Hi Big Mama

I love your name by the way. I work with all men and they call me MAMA too, now if they put big in front of it someone might loose some teeth. LOL

Yes I felt selfish about spending the money, but then my hubby kept saying you deserve it. I used part of my yearly bonus from my work so I guess in a way I earned it. It has been so long since I have spent anything on myself so it feels wierd. Im sure I will get into shopping again when I drop a couple sizes.

Did you have the band?

Bernadette

Hey everyone......Well I survived Easter and ate very minimal....One piece of white chocolate and BAM 2 lbs. I was UPSET....I seemed to have also stalled w/weight loss and I think I will be toying with these 2lbs. back and forth and I wish I felt a lil funny when I ate yard bird I have been eatingn chicken breast for the past week...Feeling a little chalky but it give me protein.....

Peascorps hows da bow bow doin? And I too am looking 2 but some spanks but I think I will need more of an (a#* whoping) lol....

Fab by 50 there anin't nothin wrong with BIG n front of Momma...I call my son big poppa.....

GOOD LUCK 2 ALL & 2 ALL A GOOD FIGHT..........

Fab I can assure you if ANYONE ELSE called me Big Momma those would be fightin words...lol

Actually that's my Mii's name on the Wii.....and since she's finally shrinking I thought hey I like that!!

Just rememebr we all deserve a chance to be healthy and I don't think any of us should feel guilty about it. As my DH pointed out (when he saw me writing that post last nite about his spending) how much money have I wasted on pills contraptions memberships diet foods yadda yadda yadda over the years trying to loose this damn weight? There is no shame in trying to improve your health!!

Pezo...sounds like that was some HEAVY chocolate. Maybe your body was sooo excited to get something yummy that it wants to hold onto it for dear life...lol Just remember we are all still band babies, your body is going thru major adjustments, don't be too hard on yourself, just follow the rules and sooner or later your body will get onboard.