Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Cheating help!!!!

Ivernous good luck with everything - and thank you for being so honest!! I start my pre-op diet Wednesday, and I'm scared also - but having you all here helps me ;-)

I did talk to the dr and nurse last week and they allowed me a small salad carrot stick or celery and 1/2 a tuna fish sandwich. Still with having that I am so tempted by food. I cheated on Friday I wanted a cheeseburger so bad!! Well I got it ate it and afterword felt horrible and they weren't even that good ...definitely not worth it!

You DO realize that you'll be on a liquid diet after surgery as well, don't you?! You do realize you'll have to exercise a little restraint after surgery?! You can't just decide "well I wanted it!" And, you know what?! You WILL want things you're not supposed to have! Deal with it!

You need to give a lot of thought to whether you are ready for the band. Even with the band, you are setting yourself up for failure if you don't follow your doctors orders.

It's not a magic bullet! Doctor puts it in and presto you lose weight. It still takes work on your part.

I hate that you cheated yourself, but I can't see giving you sympathy on this one! I hope you will stick with the program and that everything works out for you.

You DO realize that you'll be on a liquid diet after surgery as well, don't you?! You do realize you'll have to exercise a little restraint after surgery?! You can't just decide "well I wanted it!" And, you know what?! You WILL want things you're not supposed to have! Deal with it!

You need to give a lot of thought to whether you are ready for the band. Even with the band, you are setting yourself up for failure if you don't follow your doctors orders.

It's not a magic bullet! Doctor puts it in and presto you lose weight. It still takes work on your part.

I hate that you cheated yourself, but I can't see giving you sympathy on this one! I hope you will stick with the program and that everything works out for you.

Yes, how dare you not be perfect! How dare you not be human! How dare you not make such a simple 100% change to your past habits without problems.

It is hard work. And you do have to be ready to work it, but cut yourself a little slack now and then even if others cannot. There is no point in running yourself (or others) into the ground over an error. Admit you made one, work on making better choices (it had to be a cheeseburger?!) commit yourself to getting back on the horse and do it.

Good luck.

Well...this is the last place I expected to get bitched at but I can't do anything about that.....I just wanted to know if other people cheated.....No thanks to JuneAct2. I have taken extreme thought into whether or not to go forward. I have researched more than anyone I know about what it involves, what steps I have to take and that its not a free ticket to being slim. I know I have a problem and that is why I see a therapist. I am going to OA (overeaters anonymous). And because I have major depression its even harder for me!! Look I already hate myself so you don't need to be doin' it for me. I don't want to hear from you anymore on this thread JuneAct2, thank you

It bothers me how some people just act so self righteous, like they are this extremely credible and reputable source, or perhaps the genius who invented the procedure, and you are the most ignorant person on earth. Kindness/ support is clearly distinguishable from cruelty/ bashing, lets remember that people (those who fail to show support on the boards.)

Ivernous, the best thing you can do now is try your hardest to follow the guidlines the doctor provided for the duration of the pre-op diet. It was extremely hard for me and i admit, i cheated a few times. Does it make me any less deserving of something that could possibly change my life? NO!

Everything will work out fine, Let us know how it goes. God Bless!!

Well...this is the last place I expected to get bitched at but I can't do anything about that.....I just wanted to know if other people cheated.....No thanks to JuneAct2. I have taken extreme thought into whether or not to go forward. I have researched more than anyone I know about what it involves, what steps I have to take and that its not a free ticket to being slim. I know I have a problem and that is why I see a therapist. I am going to OA (overeaters anonymous). And because I have major depression its even harder for me!! Look I already hate myself so you don't need to be doin' it for me. I don't want to hear from you anymore on this thread JuneAct2, thank you

Ivernous, as someone who also deal with major depression, i completely understand how hard it is to do this. this pre-op diet has been challenging for me too. i've spent so many years using food to comfort me in my depression, that it's a difficult adjustment to make. i'm also attending OA. I know we can do this!!! hang in there hon!

It bothers me how some people just act so self righteous, like they are this extremely credible and reputable source, or perhaps the genius who invented the procedure, and you are the most ignorant person on earth. Kindness/ support is clearly distinguishable from cruelty/ bashing, lets remember that people (those who fail to show support on the boards.)

Well.......there's different kinds of support. There's "It's ok, just do better next time" support, and there's "Kick your ass into gear" support. Different situations call for different support.

The pre-op diet is pretty important. Studies have shown that livers that have less fat around them are far less prone to tearing during the surgery. So, when I hear "Hey I cheated a bit" on the preop, it's cause for concern. Not usually a major thing.....but cheating on the preop, then cheating on the revised (because the person couldn't stay on the original preop) preop with a cheeseburger....that kind of tells me that maybe the person may not be mentally ready for the band.

I want Ivernous to have success with the band. But just glossing over stuff....that doesn't really serve Ivernous' best interests. She (I think she? Sorry if I'm wrong, Iv) says that she's seeing a therapist and is a member of OA. That's cool....clearly a step in the right direction. But maybe Ivernous needs a little more time there before committing to surgery....because we all know that there's still a lot of work post banding (and a big cheat post op could lead to Very Bad Things)

Everything will be fine Ivernous! This is going to be a huge life-changing struggle for all of us - we didn't wind up in this position because we're "normal" eaters. But together, we can - I know we can achieve success! Love God, Love Yourself and the rest will fall into place. Please keep in touch with me, I'd like to have you as a friend. :cursing:

Thank you L.J.,Babe, plain, and Melissa Anne for your support. I just want to let everyone know I have not cheated since the cheeseburger incident. And yes I am afraid of going under the knife. I have a dr's appt with the RN tomorrow....I am sure she will tell me if I am ready or not to go forward. Whether it be mentally or physically ready or if I haven't lost enough weight. Maybe they can tell if my liver has shrunk just by looking at me ( I don't know, but I doubt it). Anyway JuneAct2 has stated that she was the tough love /support type of person, I don't care for that type just because I know was doing wrong and temptation got the best of me. I know that I can do this. I have thought and studied this for more than 3 years. If anyone needs suggestions for good book about this I can recommend a few I thought were helpful. One that is helping me currently is the Emotional First-Aid kit for people about to have bariatric surgery. Sorry don't recall the author right now. Well enough of my talkin' hope all is well with you guys and I really appreciate the support I have gotten so far and hope that in the future I can do the same for others.

I'm on the first day of my liquid diet and doing ok, but it is harder than i thought. I think its all in my head? I keep drinking hot tea and basically wishing it was surgery day already . lol

I hope I can do this for 13 more days.. eek !!! wish me well =]

I am fortunate in that my doctor does not require me to do the pre-op diet prior to surgery. However, I elected to diet myself regardless, because of what I've learned on these boards. Because my doctor didn't say I needed it, it's been too easy for me to "cheat" (if we want to call it that, when I'm not really on a doctor's pre-op diet, but my own!). Honestly 2 Protein shakes and a small dinner made me a little crazy. I understand the value of doing it for those with enlarged livers, but its hard core and personally, when I'm crazy hungry I justify eating whatever.

Of course after the band we will all be on liquids for quite some time - my doctor requires 2 weeks liquid, followed by 2 weeks mushy, then reevaluation before going on solids - but sticking to that type of diet with a 4 oz stomach vs a 44 oz stomach seems in theory to be the biggest reason why I'm confident I can do it after surgery, and the rest of my life.

My surgery is scheduled for Monday, and the day before I can't have anything except Clear Liquids. So I plan on doing the Clear Liquids for Saturday and Sunday. Tomorrow I will continue my modified diet (Protein Shakes, 1-2 eggs, small dinner, yogurt).

I think I will be fine, and although I'm nervous, it's a good kind of nervous :biggrin:

Ivernous, you'll be fine. The fact that you're here, looking for support, and willing to listen to advice, tells me you are mentally in the right place and will be successful with the band. Good luck!

Thanks guys for all these. I am having a hard time to with my preop - I have 2 weeks to go. I have to lose 15 to 20 pounds. I hope I can do it. I feel really determined but it is really hard. I am scared of not getting banded either after all the hard work I put into this. I am doing 3 low carb slim fast shakes a day along with 2 cups of coffee with spelda and half and half. I am down 8 pounds so far so I hope I can keep it up. the weekends are hard for me...because we went out to dinner every weekend!!Hang in there everyone and thanks for all the support and great informatin. I am so glad I am not alone in this...

Hi Everyone,

Well I got the go ahead for Tuesday the 10th and found out some interesting things about myself I didn't know before. Like that I am borderline diabetic and have fatty liver disease. It truly came as a shock to me to find that out since no one has said anything of the sort before yesterday. I asked the nurse a ton of questions, told her my plans for where I am staying the night before and after the surgery because it is a distance for me to travel to the hospital where I am having it at and thought it would be a good idea to stay in town to make sure everything was ok. I am now pumped to be only 4 days away from surgery and looking forward to my new body in the future. Thanks for letting me share.

Hi Everyone,

Well I got the go ahead for Tuesday the 10th and found out some interesting things about myself I didn't know before. Like that I am borderline diabetic and have fatty liver disease. It truly came as a shock to me to find that out since no one has said anything of the sort before yesterday. I asked the nurse a ton of questions, told her my plans for where I am staying the night before and after the surgery because it is a distance for me to travel to the hospital where I am having it at and thought it would be a good idea to stay in town to make sure everything was ok. I am now pumped to be only 4 days away from surgery and looking forward to my new body in the future. Thanks for letting me share.

Ivernous, I'm so excited for you! As much as it sucks to find out about your additional health problems, it must feel great to know that you're on the road to improving them. Please let us know how the surgery goes!