Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told no shakes...??? HELP!!

Reading what everyone is eating and drinking I am confused? My surgeon told me I was NOT to have any Protein Shakes etc and anything that was liquid should be zero calories so basically a small amount of diet sodas or Water.

Has anyone got any ideas on why he would be saying this seeing as I see shakes all over everyones menu....I am confused!! And not losing so sad.... :thumbup:

Well, I am not sure what your exact situation is.

But first, I would contact your doctor's office and make sure about his orders. It definitely sound as though you need to clarify what he is saying.

Second, after you make sure, I would do as he says. This group is made up of people who might have had similar surgery to your own, and it is a great place to get informaiton, but it does not and should not ever override your surgeon. Ask him, and then do what he says.

My Dr is also of the 'no liquid calories' brigade, and I do as he says, most of the time. I still have the odd cup of tea, and sometimes a hot cocoa with skim milk if I'm at a cafe, but I don't do Protein shakes unless he instructs me too (eg after a bad 'stuck' episode or after getting filled).

He, and most Australian drs, don't advocate any Protein that 'slips' past the band, and expect you to have all protein in solid form.

So, as you can see, Drs vary from place to place, from surgeon to surgeon. If he says no Protein Shakes, don't have any. Follow his instructions, and not what someone else is doing.

my surgeon was not a fan of Protein shakes/smoothies either once i moved onto the solid food phase. he preferred i got my nutrients from food sources and that's what i did.

however now, i will have a shake or smoothie daily because that's what i'm in the mood for. i have taken to making my own, and playing around w/a few recipes. my dr has no issue with this as i'm no longer really in weight loss mode & the extra Protein before or after a workout doesn't hurt.

a lot of people have a shake in the AM because they are too tight first thing, and that is all they can get down. i would get a clear explanation from your dr as to why.

I am one of those who are to tight in the A.m. I drink them when I can't get my oatmeal down. I also drink them after I work out as well. The weird thing is that I crave these shakes. I never thought I would enjoy them that much! My dr. is aware and says that if I can eat-go ahead and eat.

My program also has the "no Protein shakes" rule. I have stuck to that except for the day after a fill as I can only have liquids then. I have 6 cc in a 10cc band and I am able to eat about an hour after I get up in the morning. Tightness varies from person to person. I have keep a food diary and show it to them before they decide if I get a fill and if I had shakes and wrote them down, I doubt I would be able to get the fill as they want to see that I am following the program rules. Stick with what your surgeon tells you.

Most doctors say no shakes because for many people they are not a satisfying meal that will keep you full until the next meal. So you end up drinking a 200 calorie drink and then eating also, which is going to raise your calorie intake and inhibit your weight loss.

The "no shake" rule is a weight loss rule, not a band safety rule. Some rules your doctor gives you are to avoid slippage, pouch stretching, and other damage to your band. Examples would be not drinking with meals and avoiding solids for the first few weeks after banding. Other rules are to help you lose weight and do not affect the health of your band. The "no shake" rule falls under the second category. If you are tight at certain times of the day or feel your Protein intake is too low, there is nothing harmful about having a Protein shake in place of a meal. But if you count your calories and find you can't keep your other food intake low enough to continue to lose while drinking shakes, then cut them out.

And remember I am talking about low fat, low sugar Protein Shakes, not regular milk shakes! A large Jack in the Box milkshake is over 1400 calories, and there is no way anyone is going to lose weight while getting proper nutrition if they are drinking those things.

My doctor suggests no shakes after the 1 month mark (when back on solid foods) and the reason is due to the liquid passing over the band and not keeping you full as long as solid foods. I am just not a morning person so I make my protien smoothie and take it to work and sip it for about half an hour sometime longer. For sure I find a big difference and I'm hungry 2-3 hours later versus my lunch/dinner of solid food that keeps me 6-8 hours satisfied.....but in the end this is what works for ME. I follow all the Dr. rules but some suggestions I believe to be flexible to meet the needs of each person. Plus I find that my band is tighter in the AM so a liquid Breakfast is great.

I was told the same thing. Once I was off the 2 week, Protein shake only phase after surgery, he doesn't want me drinking any calories. I'm assuming he means milk too tho I do have a glass a day. I am also one of those who is too tight in the AM. I have my shake (slim fast low carb, it's low cal but high protein) by 10 and then have lunch between 12-1. I will also have shakes in the day or so after a fill. food is just too much after a fill.

I'd also clarify with your surgeon about diet sodas. Most of us are not allowed b/c of the carbonation. But also, they aren't good for you b/c of the artificial sweeteners. They end up making you crave sweet things. Just double-check that one.

I do drink hot tea on occasion with a little honey and ff milk.

This is all stuff you need to talk to your surgeon about. You can't rely on us to give you your food plan. Every surgeon is different and has his/her own plan for a reason. We can just tell you what we're doing, not what to do.

Best wishes!

My doc said the same thing, except on fill days. He says you get calories and Protein, but they go right through the band and aren't as filling. So, you end up being hungry again soon. The day of my last fill (he requires 24 hours of liquids only), I noticed this to be true. I'd have a Protein Drink and be hungry a couple of hours later.

I'm not allowed protien shakes either. ONLY when I've been sick or 24 hours after a fill. The end. Period. I have to have solid Protein, even if it's just a few bites. I'm also not allowed to have ANY carbonation, so I was confused about your comment of diet soda. Have you checked with him/her on this? Other than soda, I pretty much drink anything. I just try to stay away from sugary juices. I drink coffee, tea, a 1/4 cup of orange juice every morning, cranberry juice occasionally, and prune juice if I need it. You won't absorb your Calcium if you don't get some Vitamin C. I usually eat whole, fresh fruit though. All kinds. I drink 4 bottles of Water a day. sometimes more.

Being that my band is so finicky(sp), my surgeon suggested that I supplement my Protein with shakes when I can't get food down or get food to stay down.