Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

So I had my banding 6 months ago, jan 14th. Weight loss to date approx. 40lbs.

I work and am at university full-time, so the exercise has been less than diligent...

however, my question to others:

Does anyone else choke...on EVERYTHING an all the time?!? yesterday i choked on sour cream! SOUR CREAM! half a baby spoon of sour cream. Does anyone else experience this?

I have addressed this with my surgeon(every visit since october). we have discussed how/when/what i am eating...i am following the rules:

i choose good healthy foods(protein)

i don't eat and drink at the same time

i use baby utensils

i chew to toothpaste consistancy

i take the 20 min to eat

i only eat 4-6 oz at a time

i am not often hungry

i don't get heartburn

i just don't get it....my surgeon is conflicted about what to do as the chocking and i have an ABSURD amount of saliva is an indicator that the band is too tight BUT weight loss is not great and i'm not experiencing heartburn or stomach upset suggests that it is too loose. I do get a little perturbed because he keeps visits to around 5 min or less and they're very hurried.

i am getting so frustrated :huh2: it was one thing before to eat a bunch and not lose weight but now i just choke all the time and don't get to eat much at all and the weight is still there.

I am enrolled in 2 kinesiology classes at school so I am hoping the exercise keeps me going...but i don't know what to do about choking all the time. My surgeon is just acting like it's no big deal---but i know it's a big deal that i'm having to purge up the bite that chokes...i don't want to get to the mindset that it is ok to do that- cuz i know it's not.

any thoughts/suggestions anyone????

i appreciate it! God bless!

Hi all!

So I had my banding 6 months ago, jan 14th. Weight loss to date approx. 40lbs.

I work and am at university full-time, so the exercise has been less than diligent...

however, my question to others:

Does anyone else choke...on EVERYTHING an all the time?!? yesterday i choked on sour cream! SOUR CREAM! half a baby spoon of sour cream. Does anyone else experience this?

I have addressed this with my surgeon(every visit since october). we have discussed how/when/what i am eating...i am following the rules:

i choose good healthy foods(protein)

i don't eat and drink at the same time

i use baby utensils

i chew to toothpaste consistancy

i take the 20 min to eat

i only eat 4-6 oz at a time

i am not often hungry

i don't get heartburn

i just don't get it....my surgeon is conflicted about what to do as the chocking and i have an ABSURD amount of saliva is an indicator that the band is too tight BUT weight loss is not great and i'm not experiencing heartburn or stomach upset suggests that it is too loose. I do get a little perturbed because he keeps visits to around 5 min or less and they're very hurried.

i am getting so frustrated :huh2: it was one thing before to eat a bunch and not lose weight but now i just choke all the time and don't get to eat much at all and the weight is still there.

I am enrolled in 2 kinesiology classes at school so I am hoping the exercise keeps me going...but i don't know what to do about choking all the time. My surgeon is just acting like it's no big deal---but i know it's a big deal that i'm having to purge up the bite that chokes...i don't want to get to the mindset that it is ok to do that- cuz i know it's not.

any thoughts/suggestions anyone????

i appreciate it! God bless!

How many calories are you getting in a day? Do you count them? With the complications you're experiencing I'd be curios if your getting enough. Low calories and little exercise means LOW metabolism which means no fat loss.

Brad

Brad

I don't count my calories...before banding, I always just counted carbs. I try to keep the carbs lower than 30-35 per day. Typically, I only eat once a day and drink lots of Water and coffee throughout the day. I have to adjust what I eat depending on if it's going to choke me. Some days I can do fish ok, some days i have to just do something like cottage cheese because I get choked so easily. Could calorie intake really be the culprit behind my choking?

thanks for your time!

so you throw up weekly?? and you choke? I am normal?? I just have been so concerned and my surgeon offers no reassurance or advice to cope.

thanks for your time!

Only eating once per day will kill your metabolism, its much better to eat five or six small meals.

You sound like you MAY be too tight, hence the choking (I assume you mean getting food stuck?) but that weight loss is poor a) because you eat hardly anything and :huh2: because you're not getting an awful lot of exercise.

To lose weight I needed to run for an hour five times a week and do strength training. Good steady weight loss takes a LOT of exercise. I *STILL* need to do that now to maintain my weight loss. You may not be a runner, or want to be a runner, but some form of reasonably challenging cardio is a must and some strength training on top of that. If you could do that much exercise, you could have your band a bit looser and hopefully stop the problems. But you must eat regularly and well to lose weight well, once a day simply wont cut it.

Almost without exception ALL the really successful long term banders on this board have eaten well and exercised heaps. The ones posting questions about failing to lose, having long plateaus etc are ALWAYS people who eat hardly anything. It goes against your intuition, but you really do have to fuel your bodyb to move it and it is the only way you will ever burn the fat, rather than just shrinking yourself a way to a bag of toneless loose skin.

Throwing up every now and then is quite normal, everyone gets things stuck occasionally, but it shouldnt be an every day thing. Even weekly is too much if it can be avoided (some are more sensitive than others)! I have maybe thrown up ten times in three years.

Edited by Jachut

When you say choking.... do you mean like PBing? or throwing up? I am confused about what you mean by choking. I do PB sometimes, but have not vomited since my surgery. When my band is tight, I can PB on foods that you normally would not think of as causing problems and it sometimes happens even when I follow all of the rules. Doesn't sound like your doctor is very helpful and that is just not right. Anyone else at his office that you could talk to? I do wish you luck and hope that you get this problem solved. Becky

I couldn't agree more with Jacqui.

Pages 3 and 4 of this thread are more of an in depth discussion of the same.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/ice-cream-horror-85172/?highlight=ice+cream+horror

Brad

Edited by bambam31

Hi, Im having similar issues.. I got my band done on 8/08 and so far I lost 50 pounds. I was doing great until 3wks ago until I started choking with everything I eat.. sometimes even fluids... My surgeon decided to do a second surgery, he said band moved all the way up and pouch is too small and thats the reason why I'm having reflux... you may want to ask your doctor to do testing on you?

I am getting done tomarrow. Having seconed thoughts. I have been stalking these forums for a couple of days and I don't like what I am hearing. PBing, vomiting everyday, gas pain and a whole litany of complaints and problems. I have to wonder if the riskd of surgery coupled with all the problems people seem to be having are making me think this isn't such a good move. I am 55 and type 2 diabetes although it's under control. I want to loose about 90 pounds. The best I have ever been able to do is 60 but I always put it back on with in a year. I thougght this might be the answer but I may back out after hearing all these horror stories. I could not imagine living life chocking on everything I try to eat.

I am getting done tomarrow. Having seconed thoughts. I have been stalking these forums for a couple of days and I don't like what I am hearing. PBing, vomiting everyday, gas pain and a whole litany of complaints and problems. I have to wonder if the riskd of surgery coupled with all the problems people seem to be having are making me think this isn't such a good move. I am 55 and type 2 diabetes although it's under control. I want to loose about 90 pounds. The best I have ever been able to do is 60 but I always put it back on with in a year. I thougght this might be the answer but I may back out after hearing all these horror stories. I could not imagine living life chocking on everything I try to eat.

I having problems but nothing comparing to what everything that comes with being obese... I'm nurse and I told you now being type 2 diabetes is a big issue, I have seen people having complication with their sugar level and having strokes or becoming blind... and I believe you should do your surgery and think possitive about and everything will be fine.. Im happy with results so far, my issue will be resolved soon..

good luck.:tongue2:selene

Hi!

my intention was not to scare but to seek support and understanding. I have been alone in my banding(i live too far to go to support meetings) and I get very little advice from my surgeon. I feel I have gotten more info from this site than I ever dreamed to find out.

Honestly, I don't regret the surgery. While the weightloss has been slow, I know it is because of my excercise habits not being what they should be. I come from a family where obesity and type II diabetes runs rampant. So, in my opinion, if you are committed and ready for lifestyle changes, I would go for the surgery. Even with the little that I have lost so far, I feel 100 times better than before the surgery. Today I got into a pair of jeans I bought pre-op(3 sizes too small)...it was such an amazing feeling! I

Also, I can say that this was a very easy surgery. I opted to stay overnight and was bored to tears! the pain is minimal if you follow your doc's directions. but even though I have been having issues with choking, I don't regret having the band.

I have learned so much since last night from this site that I know my choking will get better and I have had some encouraging posts about excercise that have put things into perspective.

All I can say is that I have been quite ignorant as to how to behave properly with the band, but now I know better so it's up to me to do better for myself.

Just be sure to have a good support system in line, not having one, I believe, has been my downfall.

I hope this has helped in whatever decision you go through with. Just know that some posts, like my own, may sound a bit scarier only because they seek information and support for a trial that is being encountered.

I'll keep you in my prayers tonight!

God Bless

Keeley

I didn't know what PBing was til last night! haha-- that's more like what it is( i think) just like, i get something 'stuck' in my throat and have to go to the restroom and it comes up(like that prior 2-3 bites i took)...but i didn't realize that the heaviness in my chest was being full! no one told me i wouldn't feel full in my stomach anymore! i think just knowing that info hashelped tremendously today! I am so happy about not choking today! it's been the first in weeks!

Wow, there are SO many surgeons doing this surgery who are just failing miserably to support their patients.

I'm glad you're finally feeling that you can work with your band. It does take a certain degree of understanding and commitment - nothing that is beyond the average person, but when your doctor doesnt provide you with the basics it makes it very hard!