Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you exercise?

I did alot of walking exercise when I was first banded. But just don't seem to be able to fit it in at the moment with work. Consequently i'm maintaining instead of losing. My Dr is a real stickler for exercise so i have to vaguely mention "exercise" when I see him. lol.

I keep telling myself I will start next week but it doesn't seem to happen

I haven't done a stinkin thing-LOL LOL Ok so a couple times I walked with a neighbor for a mile or so & yes I rode my bike 3 times this summer. But really I suck at getting going on exercise. I also am the one with no kids- no job & all the time in the world to do something about it. How sad-lol ;0) But on the bright side when I do finally get it into gear which I promise will be this week or next;0) I should start dropping a pound extra or two per week.

A great friend motivates me & together we are going to do a 5 K walk/run coming up! That should be motivation right there!

I love Leslie Sansons Walk Away the Pounds tapes. I lost 30 pounds 2 years ago walking to her tapes in my living room. Right now I go to a 6 month program of 1 hour of nutrition and then 1 hour of exercise on Thursday. I am 4 weeks out of surgery so I just walk while they do other exercise. They do have a Monday session also so I am going to try to go to both. Also, I try to lift my small handweights while I watch tv.

I exercise the amount I need to lose 2-3 per week. When I have calculated my intake and activity with the formula below it has always been right on. It might take a couple weeks to even out, but over a four week period the loss per week has always matched the numbers for me.

(I’ll try to attach an acrobat file that is a chart for figuring out your physical activity calories by activity.)

<O:p</O:p

Here’s the formula for figuring this out…

Women require 11 calories per pound per day to maintain body weight.

Men require 12 calories per pound per day to maintain body weight (darn ‘em!). <O:p></O:p>

For this example I’ll use my weight round-off off 200# and my desired goal weight of 140#

To maintain a weight of 200 I can eat 2200 calories per day (200x11).

To maintain a weight of 140 I can eat 1540 calories per day (140x11).

<O:p></O:p>

2,200 minus 1,540 = 660 calories is the difference I need to make up DAILY either by diet or exercise to maintain a weight of 140#.

I’m trying to lose so I eat

1500 calories per day—

10,500 calories for the week

And my Physical Activity Calories (PACs) are as follows:<O:p></O:p>

20 minutes of Elliptical (high intensity) 20x13=260 daily

6 days of the week 260x6=1,560

40 minutes of walking (medium intensity) 40x7=280

6 days of the week 280x6=1,680

1,560 + 1,680 = 3,240 Total PACS for the week

Okay…my maintenance calories for the week are 2200x7 = 15,400

But I’m only eating for 140# maintenance 1540x7=10,780

That puts me at a deficit of 4,620 in eating calories

Added to my 3,240 PACs = 7,860

Now I take the 7,860 deficit and divide it by 3,500 (Calories in one pound of body fat)

Which leaves 2.245—a predicted loss of 2.2 pounds.

Does that make any sense?? I have a worksheet for calculations I’ll type up and make an acrobat file of if any you would be interested.

Hmmm.... don't see a way to attach the PAC chart pdf. Can anyone tell me how to attach a pdf file? <O:p></O:p>

Yeah, 4 is good, but that's only because it was 1 the week before. It's only consistenty 2 or 3 over 4-6 weeks. Sometimes my body really teases me and doesn't lose anything or only a pound for a couple weeks. Eventually, IF I don't fall for it and eat tho it gives up and there's a big loss. Even fat can't fight pysics.

I'm another one that loves the gym. I have absolutely no problems motivating myself to do it and I'm addicted to the treadmill. Unfortunately I've completey wrecked my achilles tendons due to a combination of them just being a weak spot for me and me expecting them to do too much. 100kg + people are asking a lot of their bodies by trying to jog.

Sooo I've done nothing for 9 months, and I'm still hobbling and limping and visiting the physio 3 x per week. Its why I've gotten this heavy as I've really stopped any incidental stuff too - no more walking to the milkbar to get milk or to walk the kids to school or any of that and I"ve piled on weight.

I am going to have to FORCE myself to swim a couple of times a week, its so inconvenient and time consuming but its my only option at the moment and hopefully if I can get some weight off that way I will be able to resume what I enjoy.

I have been playing tennis about 4x's a week, I have found this to be incredible exercise. I did some research and it appears if you play singles, you can burn 700 calories an hour. I play on an average 1 hour each night.

Banded May 23rd 2005

lost 37 pounds as of today