Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op and feeling frustrated already =(

I was banded on December 22, 2008 and have done pretty well on the post-op diet. I mainly sticking to liquids and soft foods with just a few exceptions. I feel like all of the swelling is gone and that I am operating on sheer will-power, which I have none of. (Thats what got me to the point I'm in). My first fill is scheduled for February 2nd. I have noticed that so many others have lost a significant amount of weight in this time and I have lost very little. I am finding that I am hungry all the time recently. Is it normal for the frustrated feeling at this point?? My Doctor is in Mexico so speaking to him regularly is out of the question. Any helpful suggestions...

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hi coingirl, well, I was banded on 12/11 and don't feel any restriction either, and that's normal. And the hunger? NORMAL. Do you know if your doctor put anything in your band yet? I know mine is empty so I shouldn't expect to feel any restriction. You didn't post how much weight you've lost so far, but, as my surgeon put it, "this is a time for healing", so just hang in there...also, I've been exercising which I'm sure has helped...well, hope this helps...but just wait and I'm sure those #'s will be melting right off in no time!:thumbup:

I was banded on 12/09/2008 in Mexico. Dr. Cordova gave me some guide lines that I would like to share with you. Hope it makes you feel better:

4. When you begin soft and regular foods, you may find you are able to eat more than you expected. Remember, your band is not really working yet (for most people), so don’t be alarmed! Choose good, nutritious foods and avoid high-calorie ones, sweets, and junk food, and you may be able to lose some weight during this phase. Try to limit your intake to a reasonable amount each day. Some lose weight on the Fluid phases, but may regain when they start soft and regular foods. This is normal. Any weight loss you have in these phases before the band is filled is a bonus!

5. Start to learn a lot about better nutrition. Learn what foods contain the Protein, Fiber, and Calcium Bandsters need to assist good weight loss. When you start soft foods, aim for 50-60 grams of protein a day for women (60-70 a day for men.). 25 grams of fiber, and 1500 mg of calcium (1200 for women younger than 50). These are all very important to support good weight loss, as well as for regaining your health. These are things you will need to aim for forever, to maintain your lost weight.

6. FitDay.com is a good internet site to help you track your intake and learn what foods contain the nutrients Bandsters need.

7. Avoid sweets, junk, and poor-nutrition foods. Starting with the regular food phase, avoid Pasta, potatoes, rice, and breads – these are all poor nutrition and mostly empty calories. They will often also plug up the stoma later, when you have fills. Choose healthy, lower-cal foods, and you can lose some weight even before you have a good fill.

8. Start some daily, gentle exercise within a day or two of surgery. Even a 15-minute daily walk is a good start. Try to increase a bit every week. Exercise is essential to build up your muscles and strength, and make your body burn fat more efficiently – which will greatly assist your weight –loss efforts, as well as improve cardio health. If you have special medical problems, consult your family doctor before starting an exercise regimen. No intense exercise or lifting more than 10 # for the 6-week healing period, please. We encourage women to join a gentle, formal exercise programs like “Curves” which is ideal for Bandster women.

9. Start to learn about and choose lower-calorie and lowfat foods most of the time.

10. Add a chewable, adult daily Multi-Vitamin when you begin the full liquid phase (as all U.S. adults are advised). Other supplements are not needed, unless prescribed by your family doctor for a specific condition.

11. Expect some extra gas, belching, and stomach sounds until you heal further, and until your stomach gets used to the band. If the abdominal gas is excessive, you may use some Gas-X.

12. It is normal to have looser stools when you are on liquids. If they become excessive, you may use some Immodium AD with your family doctor’s permission.

13. We urge you to become active in an online support and education board, if you are not yet, where experienced Bandsters will answer questions, explain things, and guide you through the healing and weight-loss Banding phases. ObesityHelp is a good place to start: www.obesityhelp.com

I just joined this forum this morning for the exact reasons you posted. I was banded on December 23 and have been on a liquid/pureed diet since. I think I am going to starve to death! At my two week checkup my Dr. did say it was normal to be hungry and he said it wouldn't be any better on the pureed diet. I am very hopeful that when I get my fill in early Feb I will be less hungry. I still can't believe I haven't lost more weight considering how much less I am eating. Please continue to post your progress, it sounds like we are in the same situation.

Thanks so much for the information. It's really nice to know that you aren't in this alone.

I have lost about 10 pounds in this time after surgery, so not all was a failure. I know that it takes time. I'm hoping to start exercising in a few days. Mr. Doctor advised not starting till 4 weeks post op...that should help the process..

Thanks Again.....

:thumbup:

I was banded Dec 22, and have been struggling myself. When I went from the Clear Liquids to full liquids, I stopped losing weight. I assumed it was due to the extra calories from the oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, and Soup I was eating. So I cut out the oatmeal, and have yogurt for Breakfast, cottage cheese for lunch, Soup for dinner, and Protein shake for a snack. I also have a K Protein Water if I get hungry in between. I am constantly drinking Water in between to help with the hunger.

My thought is, if you can get in you 60 grams of protein and your water, try to keep under 1000 cals, it might help. If you are eatling less, you body might go into starvation mode and start storing fat instead of burning it. Stretch those cals throughout the day to keep you metabolism going. Hope this is helpful:regular_smile:

Anytime you have lost 10 lbs in less than a month, you can't say you havent lost much. If you don't start to realize that 1 - 2 lbs a week is normal and adjust your expectations, you will be unhappy and more apt to throw in the towel. You need to realize instead this is a long term process, just like any diet and it will eventually all add up. I was banded in July and just hit my half way mark last week.

Just remember that the post-op phase is ONLY for healing, not weight loss. Any weight loss is simply gravy. If you can keep that foremost in your mind, hopefully you won't stress. :tongue2:

Hi,

I was banded in April and I had the same questions as you all do. I really didn't understand that I would be hungry until I got to restriction or I didn't listen. I was very hungry and could eat anything. Don't be alarmed if it takes 4-6 months to start feeling restriction. My doctor would only put in .6 at a time every 5 weeks so it seemed to take forever. I am however at 7.2 in a 10cc band and can only take in small amounts. My problem is I can eat almost anything still. I have to watch my portions and what I put in my mouth. Unfortunately junk food goes down well. Listen to what everyone is saying about Protein first and eat healthy with exercise and it will work. I have lost 91 lbs. since April and still have 30 to go. I feel better but I still make mistakes. It is still hard work and will power that we will have to have for the rest of our lives. GOOD LUCK.

grandmasandy

I am glad to know I am not the only one feeling hunger pains etc. I have been banded 3 weeks now. I never have the fullness sensation unless I eat to much. I was told that all I would be able to get down in the first few weeks is 2oz. per meal because that is all the size of my stomach. I have lost a total of 18lbs. since my surgery but I am also finding myself eating much more at meal times than I am suppose to eat. I have had no trouble getting anything down or stuck. This is what bothers me. If my stomach wont hold any more than what I was told it would hold, then why am I able to eat so much. Yes, there are times when I am so hungry that I do eat quite a bit. Example, today I at a cheese omelet from IHOP. I ate the whole thing! I left feeling totaly satisfied, but I am also disgusted with myself for eating so much. But, how was I able to hold all of it? I know I am not eating nothing near what I use to eat before the band but I am eating more that I should now after the band. I feel great, no pains, feel like I can do anything I want to do and I really have always felt that way since coming home from surgery. My next appt is Feb 5th and my doctor said we will go from there. He did say he generally dont go anymore thatn 3cc at a time. Maybe I worry more than I should, I dont know. I worry about will I know if my band has slipped that is allowing me to eat more than I should be able to eat? I am getting all my Protein daily at a min. 75g. Anyone with the same feeling as me that can encourage me would be very much appreciated. I am just feeling like I am the one doing wrong here in which I may be by eating to much. But when you are starved, what is a man suppose to do?

I am glad to know I am not the only one feeling hunger pains etc. I have been banded 3 weeks now. I never have the fullness sensation unless I eat to much. I was told that all I would be able to get down in the first few weeks is 2oz. per meal because that is all the size of my stomach. I have lost a total of 18lbs. since my surgery but I am also finding myself eating much more at meal times than I am suppose to eat. I have had no trouble getting anything down or stuck. This is what bothers me. If my stomach wont hold any more than what I was told it would hold, then why am I able to eat so much. Yes, there are times when I am so hungry that I do eat quite a bit. Example, today I at a cheese omelet from IHOP. I ate the whole thing! I left feeling totaly satisfied, but I am also disgusted with myself for eating so much. But, how was I able to hold all of it? I know I am not eating nothing near what I use to eat before the band but I am eating more that I should now after the band. I feel great, no pains, feel like I can do anything I want to do and I really have always felt that way since coming home from surgery. My next appt is Feb 5th and my doctor said we will go from there. He did say he generally dont go anymore thatn 3cc at a time. Maybe I worry more than I should, I dont know. I worry about will I know if my band has slipped that is allowing me to eat more than I should be able to eat? I am getting all my Protein daily at a min. 75g. Anyone with the same feeling as me that can encourage me would be very much appreciated. I am just feeling like I am the one doing wrong here in which I may be by eating to much. But when you are starved, what is a man suppose to do?

Hi I know how you feel. The time between surgery and you first feel is the hardest because you can eat all you want and almost anything you want. You don't have restriction at all at this point. You need to adjust to this because it could take 4-6 months to start getting good restriction. You are living in diet hell for the next few months so you must deceide who is in charge. Take control of yourself and eat the correct food starting with protein and fruits and vegetables. I was able to get down salads pretty good for the first 3-4 months but now can 't even get down a small cup. It does get a little easier with each fill. However it will take 4-6 fills to start reaching some restriction. We are all different. We have to remember the doctor didn't operate on our bad behaviors or brains. He gave us a tool for our stomach we have to work on the other things to make this work. I know how frustrating the first 6 months but I have lost 91 bls. and feeling great. I have 30 to go but would not have gotten here without the help of other.

Good Luck

Sandy

I'm one who doesnt know if it's my fill doctor not making me tight enough, or the lapband was never for me. People keep saying that they can't eat more than a certain amount, but I can eat anything and eat full meals. I am out more than the 6 months mentioned above and the only reason Im losing is determination. Im still hungry and could eat much more. I ate a chicken sandwich from Burger King today. I tried to just eat half, but then Im still hungry.

Posts like the above make me think something is wrong with my band.

I was banded on the 30th of December and my biggest frustrations is no weight loss:frown: I am still of soft food and have no problem with sticking to the diet, but nothing since pre-op. I don't go for a fill until Feb 9th. I hope this helps.

I haven't had a fill yet and I was banded on the 9th of Dec. I hate to hear that it will take 4-6 fills to start reaching some restriction. That sucks.