Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified about starting solid food

Hi Everyone

I was banded 5 weeks ago. I followed my dietician guidelines strictly (until now). By now I should be eating soft foods and moving onto solid foods over the next week or 2 but I'm still eating mushies. After reading so much on this forum I am terrified of anything getting stuck. I dont go for my first fill until the 23rd and I know I need to have attempted solid food so that I can let my doctor know how I'm going.

I also don't have a huge amount left to lose. When I started this journey I weighed 94kgs (207 lbs). While waiting for surgery I put myself on a weight loss program and on my day of surgery I weighed 79kgs (174 lbs). I now weigh 72 kgs (158 lbs) and I have 12 kgs (26lbs) left to lose.

I think mentally part of the problem is that I don't want to eat solid foods and fall back into bad habits and slow down my weight loss.

So i'm hoping you wonderful people can help me with your story - did you feel the same way? what foods did you try first?

Thanks

I feel EXACTLY the same way!!

I was banded three weeks ago yesterday. My doctor moved me to pureed foods on Jan. 2. I've been eating a four ounce jar of baby food for lunch everyday and a Protein Shake for supper (no breakfast).

I have to stay on pureed foods until my next appt. (Jan. 27). My doctor said we would talk about getting a fill that day.

I know he won't move me to solid foods until I've had my band exactly six weeks (Jan. 30). That's still three weeks away and I find myself panicking everytime I think about it!!

I wish I had some words of wisdom to make you feel better, but I don't. I can just tell you, you're not alone!!

I had the same problem myself when I was ready to go to solids! I think I posted the same message.

Make sure you add foods slowly so you know what you can and cannot tolerate. Make sure you take small bites and chew well. I think you will find like most people that you can eat solids easily in the beginning, until you start getting fills and get good restriction.

Make sure you follow the guidelines you have been given and you shouldn't fall back into those old habits. It sounds like you have made some really good choices and lost a lot of weight pre-band! WTG! Now you have to learn how live with the band and get the weight off and keep it off.

You can do this, it is just your next step in your journey!

My papers say I can start eating solids on the 30th day. I tried eating the toppings off of a Pitza. The main thing is take one bite chew it up completely, then swollow it. Wait for awhile and see how it feels before you take another bite. Take your time and don't rush anything.

I was scared too - I just took it slow and have had no problems