Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days post op and EATING!

I am really depressed. I was banded on Dec 30. I started out on the liquid diet for the 2 weeks post op. I did great on the 10 day pre op diet. Even through Christmas. I never cheated and was so proud of myself. I thought that after the surgery it would be easier, but after being around more food than Christmas time, for the New Years celebrations and football bowl parties, I decided to "try" a little food. No problem! So I tried a little more.... still no problem at all. So today, I just ate like normal, and everything is just like normal... :grouphug:

I actually tried to see if something might make me sick, so that I would stop, but nothing did. OMG... this is horrible. I am so sad. Just the eating I have done has put me back in that place where I want to eat all the time. I know my doctor is probably going to be mad, and I hate the thought of waiting for 4 more weeks for a fill...

I definitely think I have some depression from the surgeries. (I had my gallbladder out 4 weeks before my band). And I always feed my depression.... but I really feel out of control, and that makes me even more depressed. I just didn't expect this after my surgery. I thought I wouldn't be able to eat afterwards. *sigh*

You need to call your surgeon. When we eat our stomachs churn to aid in digestion and you may have done some damage. Hopefully you're far enough out that isn't the case, but there's a reason we're given post op diets, and healing is that reason. Please call Monday, let him know what you did (not to confess and be punished, you understand, but medically he needs to know) and take it from there.

And...stop eating until then.

I know it's hard; many many of us suffer through it, but we made it, and you can too.

Please go back on mushys or whatever it is you are supposed to be 10 days out. (each doctor is different).

As far as you having thought you wouldnt be able to eat after surgery?? I can't think of anything I'v read here that would make you think that. I was ready to eat a horse after surgery, but I didn't. You dont want your band to slip and have more surgery, so stop and go back to what you are allowed to eat.

Even now, when Im supposedly tight, I can eat anything, yep anything. Only some people can't eat a few things, not everyone. If you assumed that the band would stop you from being able to eat, you must not have read enough here, because you can. The band only helps with you feeling more full faster, but doesnt stop most of us from eating. The fear of having wasted $6,500 is what stopped me from cheating and the fear of more surgury. It should worry you enough to stop and allow yourself to heal too.

I have insurance but my surgery was way more than 6,500

I can still eat anything and have had one fill

I am right now eating squash mushed up and is it good -

my doc allowed me to eat reg foods so soon after surgery

banded 12/9 reg foods 12/24

that seems sooner than anyone else but I did follow his rules

the only thing I did differently was to eat a mushy on a liquid day after the first fill

I am on dialysis and was getting way to empty and sick at my tummy so a little cream of chicken Soup helped

my case is a little different being on dialysis and all and my fluids are limited

this is not as easy to stop eating as I thought

but I am not spitting up anymore

this is a long road

good luck to all of us

If you are feeling depressed you need to talk to your dr's about it. I was feeling down a few days after surgery too but not like your describing. Remember, the band is a TOOL. It's not going to stop us from eating. And dont forget, your only 10 days post-op! It takes some people several fills before they start to feel restriction. There is a reason why you chose the band over gastric bypass (I am assuming) becuase there was reasons for me. I knew the weight loss would be much slower but in the end the same results with HARD WORK on my end. You still have to EAT RIGHT and excersise! Dont shove down McDonalds everyday and choose healthier choices. The weightloss will come. Again, I think it's best if you consult your dr about the depression. I was severaly depressed after having my son and medication really helped me. Best of luck on your journey

Thanks for all the replies. I am determined to get back on the horse again today. I did realize that I would be able to eat, but not quite so easily and without feeling full at all. The nurse talked about sipping Water cuz it would go through so slowly...that has never happened. And the things I have eaten, have gone right through the band. That is what I thought would be different. I thought the swelling in my stomach would help until the first fill.

You are all great to help. I really appreciate that no one was real judgmental. I know I have screwed up. Now I just will work very hard to unscrew up...

Getting on here and making yourself somewhat accountable really does help. Thanks

I'm in the same boat. I had my first fill this past Tuesday and I have very little restriction. I'm pretty much going on pure will power, something I have very little of. I can do it short term, I have to wait 6 weeks for another fill, but I'm thinking about asking if I can get it sooner.

Just hang in there, follow the directions and remember that it's only for a little bit and that soon enough you'll be on your way. Good luck.

The nurse talked about sipping Water cuz it would go through so slowly...that has never happened.

I too was told that and I too did NOT have that issue. In fact I drank 32 ounces of Water IN THE HOSPITAL before I went home, just 3-4 hours post op. Once they determined it was safe, I drank it. No one tackled me and took it from me (I would've fought, too...I was very thirsty! LOL)

I think honestly from my post op readings (books and internet) that in the old days, bands were one size fits all and some people really did have swelling and inability to swallow post op. Now they have more "give", different construction, different sizes (for example I have the new lap band Ap LARGE) and so there isn't as much trauma or swelling post op as there was in the "early" days 2-3 year ago!

Please call your surgeon Monday; you MAY need a test or two to make sure everything is ok in there. Don't feel guilty; you aren't the first to eat "ahead". Just make sure you're ok, STOP IT!...and move on!

I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. You know, I had to go to 12 sessions of counseling before they would approve my band. I think it would be better if they made everyone see someone once a week after surgery. That is when the real battle begins. I mean, AA have sponsers. Did you think about getting one?

I too was told that and I too did NOT have that issue. In fact I drank 32 ounces of Water IN THE HOSPITAL before I went home, just 3-4 hours post op. Once they determined it was safe, I drank it. No one tackled me and took it from me (I would've fought, too...I was very thirsty! LOL)

I think honestly from my post op readings (books and internet) that in the old days, bands were one size fits all and some people really did have swelling and inability to swallow post op. Now they have more "give", different construction, different sizes (for example I have the new lap band Ap LARGE) and so there isn't as much trauma or swelling post op as there was in the "early" days 2-3 year ago!

Please call your surgeon Monday; you MAY need a test or two to make sure everything is ok in there. Don't feel guilty; you aren't the first to eat "ahead". Just make sure you're ok, STOP IT!...and move on!

Thanks so much. I am back on the wagon today. :cool:

I just really needed to tell someone (nothing works as well as accountability). And keeping it to myself was making me feel sooooo guilty! And the guilt was making me feel depressed.... and the depression made me want to eat.... yada... yada.... yada....

I have my 2 week post op Tuesday and I will let him know that I have eaten regular food.

You are very kind, and your concern really helped. I am determined to make this thing work.

:pray2:The Lord is my strength and my song!

When I went to see the physocologist for the evelation, she recommended that I go on Wellbutrin to help with grazing, eating for no reason, but boredom. It has helped alot, and I think it will be a big help after the band procedure. She thought I might be alittle on the side of mild depression, I am so glad she recommended the wellbutrin, big difference. Ready to get banded on the 21st of this month, think it will help with that grazing that was such a big problem with me. Good luck to you, get back on track.

I am learning quite a bit on this site...thanks to all:blush:

I didn't feel much restriction until my 4th fill about 4 months out; that wasn't quite enough and my 5th fill about 5 months out finally gave me enough restriction that I began to understand what people meant by the "sweet spot".

You will stay hungry for about the first 2 weeks or so until your stomach gets adjusted to the new limited amounts. After that, you will still have head hunger issues until you reach the "sweet spot". Once at the sweet spot, even if you crave something and give in, just a small amount goes a long way. Of course that doesn't apply to "liquid" food.

I had a lot of questions and doubts initially because I really did think this was the easy way out prior to surgery. I was self-pay so I didn't have to jump through all the hoops and go through all the classes, etc. Had I done so, I might not have gone through the surgery. Now, I am so glad I did go through with the surgery but I admit I went through it blind.

In looking back, I realize the first 3 months were the toughest because the band isn't doing its part during that time. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you can get bigger fills to get more restriction early -- that's a dangerous road to erosion. Let your mindy, body and band have the time it needs to get to know each other and become a healthy team.

I was also banded on the 30th... and ate a hamburger today :S I couldn't finish it or the fries... If it didn't feel bad, is it bad to continue on solids?!

I was also banded on the 30th... and ate a hamburger today :S I couldn't finish it or the fries... If it didn't feel bad, is it bad to continue on solids?!

Follow the advice of your doctor. We can only give generic advice based on our own experience. You should be asking these specific questions of your doctor or his nutritionist.

Hiya! I was banded on NYEve. I go for my 2wks f/u on wednesday. I have learned alot from this site. One of the things I have learned is....Until your 1st fill, the goal is healing not weightloss. There are quite a few people who still feel hungry while in these early stages. I am one of them. I am having to control myself and I have a special little tupperware bowl I use that is 1.1 cups. I fill it half way and this helps me regulate my intake. Granted, pretty much everything I eat at this stage is pureed or Soup, I am still trying to retrain my brain so when I get to solids I already have my head in the right direction. I also make sure to get in my Protein Drinks to help the hunger.

From what I understand, once you get into week 3 and 4 and swelling has gone down your stoma is as normal as it was prior to surgery. There is the possibility you can eat whatever you did before(although you shouldn't). Don't be ashamed. Try to get back on course and follow the post op directions. But don't bash yourself if you slip, you aren't the first or the last to do that. I have never read of one bandster who is completely faithful and hasn't slipped a time or two. If you are really concerned that you have messed up your band, just talk to your Dr's office and they can help you through it. Once you have your 1st fill, things should change.

Again, I am still new to all this, and everything above is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

Best of Luck,

Cheryl

p.s. the other important thing I have learned is the band is a tool and Not a magic wand that will stop my cravings. The mind is a powerful thing and I have to change my thoughts and habits and that will change my body.

Edited by Cherylita