Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am the only one frustrated?

Please, am I the only one going crazy reading all these threads of people who seem to have no idea about what diet they should be on and what the consequences of eating solids too early can do? They put you to sleep and put something inside you for God's sake!! The docs meet with you- things are explained (I hope). What the heck?!?!

I admit my doc didn't tell me about bandster hell, but I didn't suffer through surgery to mess it all up because "I couldn't handle the diet." I KNEW about the diet before hand. If I thought I couldn't do it, I wouldn't have gotten the surgery. It is only a few weeks/months out of your lives people.

I am sorry, but I am so frustrated. I love this site, and I love that I can have almost any question answered at anytime of the night or day, but really I just find others who have been through it and support me. But some people are absolutely clueless!! How can you get major surgery and have no idea what is going on!!!???

Thanks for letting me rant. I love you all!

Please, am I the only one going crazy reading all these threads of people who seem to have no idea about what diet they should be on and what the consequences of eating solids too early can do? They put you to sleep and put something inside you for God's sake!! The docs meet with you- things are explained (I hope). What the heck?!?!

I admit my doc didn't tell me about bandster hell, but I didn't suffer through surgery to mess it all up because "I couldn't handle the diet." I KNEW about the diet before hand. If I thought I couldn't do it, I wouldn't have gotten the surgery. It is only a few weeks/months out of your lives people.

I am sorry, but I am so frustrated. I love this site, and I love that I can have almost any question answered at anytime of the night or day, but really I just find others who have been through it and support me. But some people are absolutely clueless!! How can you get major surgery and have no idea what is going on!!!???

Thanks for letting me rant. I love you all!

Just do what you know to be right, listen to your surgeon, and be conservative on what you eat. You'll be fine. :confused:

I think that it shows that some of the doctors or programs are not preparing their patients properly. I had to learn all about it for 6 months before I got the surgery. I have a whole binder full of information that I look at everyday. I think that it is sad/scary that people are finding themselves in this situation when they should be spending the time on healing and not freaking out about if they have done something wrong or not!

This has frustrated me also. And it seems to be getting worse. Daily there is posts that lead you to belive that folks are getting operated on without having a clue as to what to do afterword. I fail to understand how someone could undergo an operation and not have discussed the follow up instructions with the doctor or one of the staff. I feel sure that these people are not being given an operation and then just sent packing without some further instructions. Lets get real here and accept that it is our own responsibilty to be informed!

Is in it great that the only person you have to worry about is yourself. That the only person you need to be frustrated with is yourself, because really the only person you can control is yourself.

Take the comments on the threads with a grain of salt. They are for informational purposes only. Read and move on.

Some of the posts really concern me that there are people with such severe eating disorders that any type of WLS would be putting the cart before the horse. Of all the WLS's, it seems to me, the band is the one that is least a magic bullet, not that any of them are, but the it seems that with the band you need the most self control. I do think there are people who have buried their head in the sand when it comes to learning what they need to know to be successful, but I also feel there are doctors who are not giving the proper instruction and screening prior to banding.

I don't get frustrated with the posts you're referring to as much as I pity some of the posters and some of their situations. I guess I feel very fortunate that I've found a very good medical office, I have a supportive family, and I have had the time and inclination to research the band, both pre-op and post-op. I've also found LBT to be a wealth of info, and I appreciate the time people take out of their day to help one another.

I think that it shows that some of the doctors or programs are not preparing their patients properly. I had to learn all about it for 6 months before I got the surgery. I have a whole binder full of information that I look at everyday. I think that it is sad/scary that people are finding themselves in this situation when they should be spending the time on healing and not freaking out about if they have done something wrong or not!

In all honesty, what I've seen seems to indicate an issue with the bandsters' inability to refrain from improper foods and not with the doctors' instructions.

I get a little frustrated sometimes but have to remember that old saying "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". If I don't want to answer a post, I don't have to. I ask some "out there" questions, I get confused, why shouldn't other people? And if they want to be self destructive, or snarky, or uninformed, well, that's their prerogative.

Wait, wait, wait.... I think BethFromVA points it out well... most of those posts include a phrase like, "I know I shouldn't have eaten this....but...."

So perhaps we can't blame the surgeons out there for not giving the education. I think the best we can do as a group when talking to people with questions is always emphasize that they should have good communication with their medical team and actually follow their instruction. So when someone is considering the surgery, they first should ask themselves if they are compliant patients.

I've been very well behaved when it comes to following the doctor's eating plan, but I can see how people can screw up. For the most part, we're addicts.

I understand about being frustrated some times with some posts, but that is the beauty of this forum - it gives me a moment to see if I can be of help or encouragement - if I don't think I can I will let someone else post :grouphug:

I am glad this site is available period for anyone, so that they can ask any question, tell you they might have done something "wrong" or un-band like - because if you can't share those feelings or issues with someone who was banded who can you share them with?

And as RestlessMonkey (who's posts seem spot on) said, if I don't want to answer a post I don't have to - sounds good to me.

By the way I have done bad things sometimes, I am not a martyr LOL and will never give the impression to all you folks that I am -

and my disclaimer for the day is ...

***mistakes are human... therefor I am :)

***mistakes are human... therefor I am :grouphug: -- this is me as well

I am sorry for not being as strong as you.. I am sorry that giving up my best friend for 35 years is harder on em then you... I am sorry that I may be confused or lost with this process.. I was informed- I have all the material- it states mushy food- lots of liquids- I followed it.. I just needed a little more..

Please dont be frustrated with the new comers that are reaching out for help- you dont know where I come from or what support I may or may not be getting from my docotr so reaching out here is all I had at the moment...

Im sorry for being human...

***mistakes are human... therefor I am :) -- this is me as well

I am sorry for not being as strong as you.. I am sorry that giving up my best friend for 35 years is harder on em then you... I am sorry that I may be confused or lost with this process.. I was informed- I have all the material- it states mushy food- lots of liquids- I followed it.. I just needed a little more..

Please dont be frustrated with the new comers that are reaching out for help- you dont know where I come from or what support I may or may not be getting from my docotr so reaching out here is all I had at the moment...

Well said DeniseF!:grouphug:

***mistakes are human... therefor I am :grouphug: -- this is me as well

I know this may not make sense, but for me, I get frustrated more with the people who say it's okay that somebody ate a side of beef three days after surgery. I know that is exaggerating a tad, but it's the enablers who, maybe to justify their own screw-ups, tell others that "it's okay, I did it too."

Yes, we all screw up at times; but those who enable or encourage it are the ones I take issue with because it's people sharing destructive tendencies with others. Who wants to be the "lone screw-up," right? Like misery loves company.

It is true I don't have to respond, but when I read a new post like "I ate a big burger, should I have been able to" it kills me. I just need to stop taking them seriously, because, come on, do you really not know the answer to your own question?

I am far from perfect. For example, I was put on full liquid diet for weeks 2-3 post op. On Monday, I get to start purees. So what did I do on my way home from work? I stopped at Red Lobster and got my family some food to take home. I got myself some Soup and shrimp scampi. When I got home, I put the Soup and shrimp in my blender and added a little milk. It was still pretty thick, but had the consistancy of chewed up cottage cheese (which is on my current menu). It had so much flavor and tasted so great. When I went to take the the 10th very small bite, my chest started to hurt a little and I hicupped. I put the rest away for tomorrow, thinking - wow, less than a half of cup made me full- right on!

Now I know better than to ask if this was ok to do. In my head, I made the choice and I don't regret it. And I understand when people ask these sort of questions, because I read all the time people making little cheats, and I DO think- hey- if it is ok for them, it is ok for me. But when I see the explosion of posts in reply to really stupid mistakes (like eating a burger two days post op) I know NEVER to do something that stupid. I know what I should do, and I believe that if you should make a mistake, don't tell the others on this site "hey I did this, do you think it was wrong?" Ask real questions- don't look for forgiveness or validity for what you are doing.