Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much are you really eating????

After 7mo's, I finally have some restriction. I'm down 50lbs, which is awesome, I know! My problem is I only loose weight during the liquid phase after each fill. Then the rest of the month I'm fighting to keep it off. My doc tells me to eat 3, 2oz meals and 3 Protein Shakes a day. On my best day I'll have 2, 3oz meals and 2 Protein shakes. Before lapband, I always needed at least 1000 calories to loose weight. Now with the portions so small, I'm lucky to get 600-700.

So bandsters, what is your secret? How many ounces per meal are you eating and how many calories do you consume in a day?

I'd also like to ask what you're eating, but that might be pushing it, huh? :confused: Thanks for your help!!

I do not count calories, weigh or measure. My doctor instructed me to eat high quality nutritious food and listen to my band...eat when I am hungry and stop eating when I am satisfied. I only use shakes after a fill or as a supplement if I am not getting enough solid Protein in my diet.

But here are some examples of how much I eat:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal cooked in milk with fresh fruit or an eggbeater omlet

10AM Mid-Morning (I have this snack because my day starts very early 4-5 AM so I am usually hungry before my noon lunch) Small serving of Fresh fruit with a small serving of Protein (Peanut Butter, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese...)

Lunch: Small serving of salad greens with lean protein (Beans, lean meat, lowfat cheese...) or left overs from the night before or a small wrap sandwich

Dinner: 2-3 ounces of lean protein, 1/2 cup non-starchy veggie and if I have room, a small serving of fresh fruit.

I am just guessing but I would say that I get 1000-1200 calories a day (mostly on the lower end of that range).

I do not count calories, weigh or measure. My doctor instructed me to eat high quality nutritious food and listen to my band...eat when I am hungry and stop eating when I am satisfied. I only use shakes after a fill or as a supplement if I am not getting enough solid Protein in my diet.

But here are some examples of how much I eat:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal cooked in milk with fresh fruit or an eggbeater omlet

10AM Mid-Morning (I have this snack because my day starts very early 4-5 AM so I am usually hungry before my noon lunch) Small serving of Fresh fruit with a small serving of Protein (Peanut Butter, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese...)

Lunch: Small serving of salad greens with lean protein (Beans, lean meat, lowfat cheese...) or left overs from the night before or a small wrap sandwich

Dinner: 2-3 ounces of lean protein, 1/2 cup non-starchy veggie and if I have room, a small serving of fresh fruit.

I am just guessing but I would say that I get 1000-1200 calories a day (mostly on the lower end of that range).

And you eat this and are satisfied and happy? This sounds like my goal meal plan.

I'd probably eat a lot compared to many bandsters, and now I'm maintaining I'm definitely up there towards 1800 calories a day. I really believe you have to eat to lose weight and that dropping calories so low will only result in you never being able to eat much ever again as your body will adapt to it.

Breakfast for me is usually a half cup serving of some sort of Cereal (muesli, oatmeal) with fresh fruit and yogurt.

Snacks are things like fruit, a few crackers, a small handful of nuts, a muesli bar - and I usually have one mid morning but not always mid afternoon.

lunch might be dinner leftovers, a half a sandwich and some fruit, it might be sushi if I'm out, and sometimes it MIGHT even be something really naughty like a muffin and a cappucino. And yes, I did this whilst losing too.

I often dont want an afternoon snack becuase when I've eaten solidly and healthily during the morning, I just dont need any more food.

dinner tends to be my smallest least calorific meal - a small piece of lean Protein about 2/3 the size of my palm and some vegies. Usually with a glass of wine.

Sizewise, my meals usually end up at more than half a cup, that never would have satisifed me, but a cup would be a lot, its somewhere in the middle. When I really LISTEN to my band, I eat small serves often.

And you eat this and are satisfied and happy? This sounds like my goal meal plan.

Yes, at restriction this amount of food keeps me satisfied. Of course there are days that I want more or have head hunger and want a treat between meals but I am not truly hungry.

I count calories, weigh my food, and exercise like crazy.

I count calories. I can eat between 900-1200 calories a day. I exercise at least 4 days a week at the gym and 1-2 days on my own (walking or horseback riding). I think its a good fit for me. I never feel deprived although I still eat with my eyes (I tend to fill up my plate and I don't know why, but I always think I can still eat all of it!) Of course I eat only a few bits and I am satisfied!!

I count calories and eat usually between 900-1200 calories. I have days (like yesterday) when I eat more and days like today where I eat less (I'm still in the negative after working out.)

So... the point is I found I need MORE calories than the 600-800 my doctor said I should have to lose weight. I was plateaued for several weeks on that. But I think it's because when the Dr. says that you should be eating 800 calories, they think you WON'T work out, even though they say that you should. My dr's office was telling me MOST people hardly workout, even if they say they will. So if you don't workout eat less, if you do workout, add calories or you'll get sick or just stop losing.

I workout a lot, so I know that the low calorie count is not good for my body. I would be starving, because I generally burn 500-800 calories in a DAY just from exercise (running/swimming.)

Generally I eat Protein first, then veggies, then fruits, then anything else. Sometimes I eat candy and chips and other junk. I just can't have much. I like that stuff though, and want it so I still have it once in awhile. Not daily, or all the time, but once in awhile. Today I had a bite of brownie and it was terrible so I spit it out and threw the rest away. I didn't want to waste the calories. I was offered a different brownie and it was AMAZING. I had a few bites but it was so rich I put it in a baggie and took the rest home!

I can eat about a cup of food right now but just skipped my fill because I am losing really well. In 3 weeks I should have another fill. I don't want to be so tight that I PB all the time. Right now I PB about 3x a week and that's PLENTY!

Edited by littlefroggy

600-1400 calories a day, i just looked it up on fitday. I purposely vary the intake so my body is not used to getting the exact 800 calories every.single.day.